How-to: Rear subframe/suspension removal step by step

smc0922

In case you feel the need to do some rear suspension work, it is NOT as hard as some people may make it out to be.

Here is the story. Last week I heard some clunking from the rear end when I would come to a stop right before I took the clutch out. I thought the rear diff mount was cracked, I had launched it hard a few times on my WOT Box, I figured it was time. No problem, I have had the Stiff Diff sitting on the shelf since october when my buddy thought he broke his but just lost the bolts out of the stock front diff mount. So I bought it off of him.

Now here is what I did. I know most of you do it in the car, but I wanted to do a rear sway bar and H&R springs while I was at it. I crawled underneath and noticed there wasnt much holding in the rear subframe assembly, and said screw it, lets take it out!

2 Hours, I REPEAT, 2 hours in the driveway BY MYSELF with hand tools and it was on the ground. I took 10 minutes rolling around to see what needed to be done, made a plan, and started the clock.

Away we go!!!! The fine print- First up, be safe, I am not responsible for your actions. You get killed doing this, its your fault and yours alone. The following is a recollection of my experience, yours may be different.

PRELIMINARY STUFF
Jack up the car all the way around, and use jackstands on firm ground so the car will not move once in the air. Remove the 5 plastic clips that hold in the inside front trunk wall. Pull the center of the clip out a bit then remove the entire clip. Once the forward trunk wall is out, locate the seat releases, you will see the bracket and a metal pin sticking down. slide the pin over and the rear seats will pop released.

P1040324.jpg

P1040325.jpg

Next, go inside and remove the side seat cushions. Remove the bolt at the bottom (14mm socket) and DO NOT PRY on it. You need to look behind the cushion at the top and see a black triangle. Push it aside and the side cushion is released. Now look down below where the bolt was, right next to the plastic trim you will see a small white plug, this is the ABS wheel speed sensor harness. Unplug it and feed it outside the car.

P1040326.jpg

P1040327.jpg

P1040328.jpg

P1040329.jpg

Remove the wheels. Locate where the sensor is bolted to a bracket just forward of the suspension. Remove the bolt (10mm socket) and coil up the harness, Zip tie it if you want and leave it close to the wheel assembly.

P1040332.jpg

Remove the bolts for the caliper (14mm socket IIRC) and secure the caliper up out of the way. DO NOT hang it by the brake line. Use a bungee cord or the like to secure it up out of the way. Remove the emergency brake cable tiedowns, (10mm socket) there are two that run along the trailing arm. Get the brake cable free like the ABS harness, so that it is only attached to the caliper and then runs untouched to the body of the car.

P1040331.jpg

P1040335.jpg

P1040345.jpg

REPEAT for the other side. Elapsed time should be about 30 minutes.

Now, crawl underneath and remove your exhaust from infront of the diff all the way back. I have the GHL catback on my car, so It comes apart easily and in 3 manageable pieces. This could add a half hour to your time if you do not know how it comes apart, just be careful not to break your rear exhaust trim pieces!!!

P1040330.jpg

Look on the passenger side of the diff clutch housing, you will see two plugs, disconnect them and remove the wire tiedown as well. I stuffed the harness behind the metal fuel tank shield to keep it out of the way.

P1040334.jpg

With all 4 tires off the ground, (car in neutral gear) you should be able to spin the driveshaft. Index it (make a mark on the yoke and the input shaft of the rear end) so it goes back together in the right place. Remove the 4 nuts from the yoke (14mm wrench) and remove the bolts. the yoke plate should hold the bolt heads from spinning while you loosen the nuts.

P1040337.jpg

Next remove the two lower shock bolts (17mm wrench on one end and 17mm socket on the other) while puttting slight upward pressure on the A-arm (NOT the shock) and remove the long bolt.

P1040338.jpg

REPEAT for the other side.

Now look behind the rear diff on the subframe, dead center. you will see a 10mm bolt, remove it as this supports the EVAP plumbing. on the same side as the rear diff harness, you will see a large white plastic clip holding a black plastic line, this is EVAP as well, remove the white clip from the metal bracket.

P1040349.jpg

P1040350.jpg

Remove the 2 trailing arm bolts (14mm socket) and the 2 bolts (12mm) from the first main subframe bolt. Repeat for the other side.

P1040348.jpg

P1040347.jpg

This is it, get at least one jack, best to have two, under the subframe and bring them close to it. Now remove the 4 total (2 each side) 17mm nuts that hold the whole thing in place.

P1040346.jpg

Once out, bring the assembly down about 2 inches. Right smack on top of the assembly is another white clip with an EVAP line, remove it before your drop it too far!!

Thats it! drop it down, slide it out. Be sure to drop both sides evenly so it doesnt bind on the main studs that hold the assembly in.

P1040351.jpg

P1040352.jpg

Now you can change springs, sway bar, and both diff mounts right there on the ground!!

P1040353.jpg

I believe if you are good enough at working on a car, this whole thing shouldnt take more than 3-3.5 hours NOT including removing and installing your new parts. If you are doing the stiff diff only, it shouldnt take more than 3.5 hours to do the whole thing. I removed this in 2 hours in the driveway on my back. If you have a lift, it should be all the easier. Add a transmission floor jack to the mix, and this could be one quick process.

I really wish I had the money to do coilovers right now, that shock could come out in 5 minutes with the way I have this done.......

Anyway, I'm planning the TurbineTech front diff mount, SU stiff diff, Whiteline sway bar, and H&R springs while I am in here.

Hope you got some useful info out of this, feedback is appreciated. And yes, the whole assembly is heavy, but manageable.

Wow, that's a lot of work, but definitely making things so much easier.

For those of you who want to do springs, this wouldn't be necessary at all. You can pull the control arms down and swap springs in about 15-20 minutes with simple air tools.

Props for doing this. I may have to look into this if I decide to do the TT diff brace.

I agree, not necessary for springs. I plan sometime in the future to do coilovers, has anyone done them and had to go this far? the plates that hold the rear shocks in are above this assembly, does it help to take out the subframe?

Also, to make folding the rear seats easier, I cut two 1"x2" slots in the front trunk wall so I have to just reach in and slide the pin.

Last edited:
agreed.

did it all go back in? i would be scared to lose parts. props to you. wanna come do my clutch next time it goes :p

Lol it all went back in pretty slick. put the whole subframe on two jacks, lined up the 4 primary studs, and raised it up. re-installed in a bit over an hour. Had my roomate run one jack while I did the other- besides that it was a one-man operation.

As for the clutch, my garage will be finished soon. Come on down!

Great write-up, I already have a RSB and rear diff mount installed, yet I'll give this a try once I buy a set of koni's and a TT front diff mount.

It looks alot easier to swap shocks this way, and changing diff fluid would be super easy!

i remember seeing this on some other forum too did it that way myself too, since i did all the mounts and shocks at once, however going back in, with one jack... could be problematic... also there is an order in which you need to tighten the bolts of the subframe i think you need to connect the trailing arms before tightening the front two subrame nuts(since the bolts are attached to the body) otherwise youll be like me spending 2 hours trying to manhandle the trailing arms into place and they wont align, and even if they do, ur aligment might b... well ya

gotta check alldata.com see if they have the info on putting it back together, cuz its not just simple as that, also if you have stock exhaust only the mid pipe needs to go, the mufflers can stay or go its your own preferance, but if you dont wanna hear a clunk from your rear right, make sure you right the bolts properly too for the stock exhaust i believe its hang em up, then cat bolts then passenger side muffler then driver side muffler, or it will b slightly out of aligment

i am going to make a video of this when i redrop the subframe to epoxy it cuz these cars really do need some rust proofing, for an 07 if i leave it the way it is, it wont make it to 10 years old without a new cross memember, weird thing is... the body looks fine, its like the paint they use or something is just porous or what? i dont understand how else soemthign can rust from every edge unless its all the snow grout hitting the underside o my car

Back