Oil change interval???

Yes I know what the book says at 7500 but I have always felt that is an EPA or marketing thing. Are these engines really that clean that you can go 7500 on a change? I am using full synthetic Mobile 1 and was think 7500 with the Mobile 1 or should it be 5K, 10K or something else. Perhaps a Blackstone Oil Analysis would be in order. 2.0 engine currently has 30K on it.

BMW with on-board oil anaylsis for oil change sometimes go 14K miles or more.

The Oil change interval is usually pretty conservative and must account for all regions of operation (Alaska to Tropics) and assume almost all start/stop driving.

On the highway mostly in a temperate climate with the engine to full op temp each time.... Good compression... i would expect 14K miles between oil analysis triggered an oil change.

BUT is the cost of the lab work more than just the oil change interval you skipped? For example - the anaylsis cost $50 and you save one oil change ($12 if you are me ;)) it would not make sense. Just change the oil.

Free oil anaylsis? I would sample evry 1k miles after 7,500 (with the assumptions above).

So with Mobile 1 7.5K is still pretty conservative. I usually keep all the fluids in my vehicles and boats changed pretty frequently and use synthetic where I can. My boat requires changes every 25 hours but that is a Supercharged 509 Ci chevy. At 25 hours it looks pretty done with the blowby and force fed air. Marine engines are set up pretty loose. The 2.0 looks pretty darn clean even at 6K so I spose I will just change it at 7500 and call it good.

The limiting factor is usually the oil filter when it comes to using synthetic oil. Make sure you use a good quality filter if you pile on the miles. However, if you don't, change the oil at least once per year. With a good filter, full synthetics can last 12,000 miles, easily.

Back