blown struts

red6spd

:
2007 MS3
Hey folks,

Anyone have any problems with Stock blown shock/struts? I have an 07 MS3, no mods but once I got over 33,000 miles the left rear went, then the right rear, now the right front. But now out of warranty at 38,000. I'm waiting on MAZDA to see if they will good will the right front. If they don't i'm going to go with KONI's FSD's. Anyone with FSD and how they like or not like them.

thanks

My LF strut was totally shot at 25,000 miles. I'm now at 45,000 miles and I think I'm going the FSD route- assuming I decide to keep the car.

mine were gone around the 44k mark. I have had the fsd's on and am quite satisfied. They arent the perfect solution but they are great compared to many other options out there.

how do you like the yellows? io had them on my 03 accord and they were a bit too stiff even on the soft setting, i had ground controls paired up with them so im not sure if it was due to that spring as well.

how do you like the yellows? io had them on my 03 accord and they were a bit too stiff even on the soft setting, i had ground controls paired up with them so im not sure if it was due to that spring as well.

LOL...it was the spring that made it ride rough.

I rode in a friend's MZ3 with Koni Yellows, S Tech Springs, MS3 F/R sways, and 215/45 Falken Zeix. He had them set at mid point and the ride quality was very impressive, even with drop and "quality" of the S Tech Springs, the ride was noticably better then my stock MS3. Though I didn't actually drive the car, the handling was very comparable also.

After ridding in his car, I jumped into another bud's MS3 with H&R coilovers and it was very firm and stiff in comparison.

As a result, I'm going the Koni yellow route myself.

same here, sat in and drove a regular 3 with h&r springs koni yellows (med setting), and hotchkis front and rear bar and the handling is very balanced and neutral with a better ride quality than the stock ms3.

also sat in and drove a mkv gti with h&r springs and koni yellows (med) and ride quality is good but bumps are still noticeable.

i think im also gonna go with koni yellows due to the complaint ride, but haven't tried the fsd.

On the softest setting the yellows are plenty comfortable. More so than stock i think. I haven't gotten around to trying stiffer because the rears are a pain in the ass to adjust.

Hey folks,

Anyone have any problems with Stock blown shock/struts? I have an 07 MS3, no mods but once I got over 33,000 miles the left rear went, then the right rear, now the right front. But now out of warranty at 38,000. I'm waiting on MAZDA to see if they will good will the right front. If they don't i'm going to go with KONI's FSD's. Anyone with FSD and how they like or not like them.

thanks

Many factory shocks/struts never make it past 25,000 miles. Warranty will not cover it because it is a maintenance part which is presumed to wear out and need replacement. Shop around and find the best price on a new set of shocks/struts. You'll be able to find a good deal I'm sure. I personally use Koni Sport with stock springs and it is very comfortable with a very comfortable warranty. The FSD should be great as well if you sticking with factory springs.

Umm, I am not expert, but ,cymx5, I am pretty sure they are not considered a wear and tear item such as the clutch or brakes. Meaning that you have no control over when they will fail, and they should be covered up to a certain mileage. I will have a search around my manual now.

Blown shocks/struts are not covered under warranty. It's in the same classification as burned out headlights, empty washer fluid, greasing axles, and all other maintenance items.

In addition, many replacement shocks/struts do have a limited warranty which covers mechanical failures of the unit. The one's I've seen are covered for the original owner from the original installation on a single vehicle.

Last edited:
Mazda paid for the strut, even out of warranty

Hey Folks,

I can't believe it but Mazda paid for my blow strut even though I was out of warranty by allmost 2000 miles! They didn't pay for the alignment but hey I'll take what I can get.

I had them replace the front left and both strut mounts also. I paid for these, but It's for good insurance.

Blown shocks/struts are not covered under warranty. It's in the same classification as burned out headlights, empty washer fluid, greasing axles, and all other maintenance items.

In addition, many replacement shocks/struts do have a limited warranty which covers mechanical failures of the unit. The one's I've seen are covered for the original owner from the original installation on a single vehicle.

Several people on the boards have had their failed struts and/or shocks replaced under warranty. As long as you're running stock springs and not EVERY one of your dampers goes out at once, it's very difficult for Mazda or the dealership to claim that it wasn't a defective part...

My stand corrected on this one. I'm shocked that they have covered them. That's great news!

Back