Foggy/moisture inside headlight

:
2010 CX-9 GT AWD
I just drove to touchless car wash today. After one hour, my CX-9 right (passenger) side headlight assembly has foggy/moisture inside.
I want to ask you if deal will replace whole assembly or repair it?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0278[1].JPG
    IMG_0278[1].JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 849
  • IMG_0279[1].JPG
    IMG_0279[1].JPG
    231 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0280[1].JPG
    IMG_0280[1].JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 1,210
I probably wouldn't worry about it just yet. That happens to my taillights when I wash the 9, and the moisture dissipates shortly thereafter.

However, this is the first time it happens.
My CX-9 is over 2 years and this was never happened before.

I have talked to dealer and they are getting approval to order me a new housing.
I had couple snow times here in northwest washington and no condensation at all.

Just an update.
Have it in garage yesterday for oil change.
The dealer also has done Air Bag Light Recall. I also report the driver side mirror (vibrate).
They have taken care of them. Both mirror and headlight assembly has been ordered and expected to be complete next week.

They even ordered a new mirror for you?!
If that is not a good dealer service, I don't know what is....
You are lucky to visit that dealer. Hope everything get fixed properly.

My understanding of the headlight housing is that it is not air-tight, but condensation like that indicates some crack in the housing. My old BMW had a cracked housing, it had condensation like that in the photos. There was none when new even after washing.

They are Mazda dealer in my town.
I didn't even bought my both cars from them, but they are doing good their job.
This is 2nd time for mirror replacement.
I don't know about headlight, but it just happened for the first time in over 2 years, and to passenger side. I don't even see any cracks or chip. That's why they confirmed there's something wrong and ordered the replacement.

They are Mazda dealer in my town.
I didn't even bought my both cars from them, but they are doing good their job.
This is 2nd time for mirror replacement.
I don't know about headlight, but it just happened for the first time in over 2 years, and to passenger side. I don't even see any cracks or chip. That's why they confirmed there's something wrong and ordered the replacement.

Which dealer is this? I got mine from Umazda.

Hi neighbor,

I bought my CX-9 at Auburn Valley, but I have it at Mazda Olympia dealer for service (takes me 5 min to get there).
I bought my 10' Mazda3 at South Tacoma Mazda.
Actually, when I got into dealer to show them the condensation, it was almost gone. I let them see this page. Fortunately, when I got home, it was condensed again, so I went back to dealer and they confirmed it.

Last edited:
My CX-9 was in dealer yesterday for mirror and headlight replacement.
Vibration of the mirror on the road is now almost gone.
New headlight is also perfect.
There is only one thing I concern. New headlight has perfect edge at cut. I mean the bulb is right in focus point of projector. However, the defect one or even the old one on left (driver) side, the cut is not perfect.
I am not sure if something wears after time or it is a defect.

i have the same problem with mine too, but i have actual rain drops that's 85% covering the inside of the lense.. very frustrating to see this. another thing i have on my mind, i have hid conversion you think the dealership will mess with me if they see it?

If you have an HID kit, the dealership will surely not cover it under warranty. So if you want them to cover it, remove your HIDs and put it back to stock form before taking it into the dealership this way they can cover it. If you cut a whole on the access cover (dust cover) to fit your HIDs go buy two of them and install them before going into dealership as well so that it looks fully stock. I am sure the price of the covers is not nearly as much as buying a complete headlamp assembly even if you found it on eBay.

I don't think WorkShop manual has part # in it.
Other than that, let me know how I can be of help.

Most headlights have a little Goretex patch that lets the headlamp breathe (i.e. keeps water from coming in, but lets moisture come out). Are you sure you didn't damage that patch? Might be the easiest fix if that's the issue...

Ah interesting, our 2011 CX-9 GT had had no issues with the lights etc, but we had a big thunderstorm/heavy rainfall last week - I just noticed this weekend that the drivers side headlight was all fogged up. It's never been fogged up before.
(car used to be in the Bay Area CA until last Summer, then we moved to Austin TX where it gets warm and humid)

This morning my wife told me that the low beam is not working on the car, she noticed it in her parking garage.

She has the car at work, but i will check it out this evening. I'm hoping that the ballast is ok - i do have a spare D2S HID bulb so I will try that first. I'm also going to leave the caps off the headlight for a day to let it dry out first.

Ah interesting, our 2011 CX-9 GT had had no issues with the lights etc, but we had a big thunderstorm/heavy rainfall last week - I just noticed this weekend that the drivers side headlight was all fogged up. It's never been fogged up before.
(car used to be in the Bay Area CA until last Summer, then we moved to Austin TX where it gets warm and humid)

This morning my wife told me that the low beam is not working on the car, she noticed it in her parking garage.

She has the car at work, but i will check it out this evening. I'm hoping that the ballast is ok - i do have a spare D2S HID bulb so I will try that first. I'm also going to leave the caps off the headlight for a day to let it dry out first.

Ok got to work on it this evening, once I removed the headlight caps at the rear of the units the fog had gone in about 30mins. So now nice and dry inside the lens.

Next I went to troubleshoot what was wrong with the low beam:
I put in a spare D2S HID bulb that i had in the drivers side (L) low beam - but that did not work.
Next I swapped the two bulbs from side to side (passenger one (R) works ok) - but that did not work.
Next I checked the two low beam fuses (15A) with my DVM, they both seemed to be ok - I also then swapped them from one position to the other - but that did not work.

So basically the ballast (electronic ignition) must be bad :(

So that involves removing the headlight assembly. Does anyone here has a procedure on how to remove the unit, and I'm guessing that the front bumper also needs to be removed to access some screws/bolts. If anyone could share I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

And go figure, we were about to go on a long roadtrip on Thursday, and this happens ! So I'll have to get it fixed asap.

Mazda-CX9-Xenon-Headlight-Inverter-Ballast.jpg

pdxa4--I'd be very interested in knowing if you ever solved your problem. I have a 2011 CX-9 and my driver's side low beam stopped working this week. Dealership tells me there was water in the ballast and that plus the whole assembly needs to be replaced for the price of $1,575.52 plus tax. For 1 headlight. Apparently 10% of the cost of this vehicle is headlights.

pdxa4--I'd be very interested in knowing if you ever solved your problem. I have a 2011 CX-9 and my driver's side low beam stopped working this week. Dealership tells me there was water in the ballast and that plus the whole assembly needs to be replaced for the price of $1,575.52 plus tax. For 1 headlight. Apparently 10% of the cost of this vehicle is headlights.

I did not time to work on the car yet, plus high heat here in Texas right now. However I plan to work on it in the next two weeks or so.

Basically it is a common issue, and you may not even need to replace the ballast unit if it can be dried out successfully.

One needs to loosen/partially remove the front bumper and then remove the headlight unit, under the headlight unit is the ballast. some people have then taken it off and dried it out - and then used silicon sealer to prevent water back into it again in the future.

I have a new OEM ballast which I will use when I get around to fixing it soon.

I'm going to do the work myself, I'll be more careful doing the work myself anyway.

Back