Found annoying rattle sound coming from clutch and squeaky clutch solved(mt 2.0l)

TWISFM

:
2002 Protege5 slow/low
ive been hearing this sound which has been pissing me off and scaring me at the same time.... at idle it sound like valves ticking but much lighter...just like a vibration of small metal parts together...welll i tracked it down....

Also my clutch would do the dreaded squeak all the time when i would compress it... this was the same issue!!!! Its the clutch release cylinder... can be found in this pdf..http://www.floptical.net/mazda/service_web/05-10.PDF

Before i post a picture.. I want to know if its worth replacing or will the sound just come back...i squirted some lithium grease in there and the squeak and rattle went away...the squeak is still gone but i can feel it coming back and the rattle came back quite quick....the rattle is it from coming loose....so is there anyway to tighten it...or is it just get a new one....?
P1000399.jpg

P1000397.jpg

P1000398.jpg

STA60001-22.jpg

Last edited:
i am glad you posted that, my car seems to being doing the same thing. my car has 242,000 miles on it, original engine and tranny, I will just throw some duck tape around it, to act as a buffer, and quiet it down:)

the rattle most likely comes from the throwout bearing not being secure in place with the clutch fork, by spraying the ball end with grease u r probably making that specific rattle less noticeable

the rattle will come back, ive heard that using the rx-7 bearing will eliminate this, its what i plan to do next time i work on my clutch and flywheel

bringing back a dead thread. thanks for finding the source of the creak. the part you are lubricating is the tip of the rod inside the cylinder. the service manual says to use a molybdenum sulfide lubricant on the tip of the rod (the part that makes contact with the clutch release fork). i am having trouble finding molybdenum sulfide. Wikipedia says it is a dry lubricant, most shops carry an all-purpose grease, some say "moly" fortified or something similar. is this grease ok to use? one parts shop sold me a multi purpose grease that is not moly fortified and it looks like marmite. any thoughts?

Reviving the thread AGAIN! :)

I'm having the same issue these days with my P5. I can hear a squeak/chirping sound at idle...although the sound comes and goes. The part that the OP is pointing to in the 2nd pic vibrates pretty badly at idle...thus causing the chirping sound I'm having.

Also, at random times, when I depress the clutch pedal there is a clicking sound.

check the clutch slave cylinder piston is seated correctly on the cup in the slave cylinder, and the balltip also on the clutch fork. remember to lubricate the balltip of the piston that meets the clutch fork with moly (found a $5 tube of moly paste at NAPA).

Back