How does the voice command "Destination" work?

memasterac

:
CX-9
Ive been reading a few posts related to the navigation, it seems our navigation isnt the best in the market lots room for improvement.

While using the navigations voice command, I couldnt get the destination command to work. The "destination" command is listed on the navigation manual but the system does not recognize it. I cant believe if this is true because it means the driver can not even voice command the destination address (while driving)!

I can understand the navigation system requires the vehicle stopped to hand input the destination address. But voice command is designed to use for the vehicle on fly. It defeats the purpose of voice command if I cant use it to input address when driving. Some of the posts say Mazdas Denso is very similar to the Toyotas Denso. I only agree partially because they are not quite the same. I can get the voice command to work on my Lexus GS350, not a case for the CX-9.

Since both Toyota and Mazda use Denso navigation, I am going to mess with the navigation DVD to see if I can make a hybrid disc as I did with my Lexus. If the hybrid disc does not work, cutting the speed input wire will be my last choice.

(lol)

Huh, I don't think I've ever tried this. I'll test it on my way home and see if mine works. I do know that it's kind of tough to get the thing to understand anything you say. Just cancelling the destination is tough. Have you run through the voice recognition piece where you have to say a bunch of words and phrases so the system can learn your voice?

1. Voice command "Destination" does not work. Voice command is still an useless feature for the navigation...

2. I made a hybrid disc with Toyota Denso 5.1 LOADING.KWI file to replace the Mazda's LOADING.KWI and it did not work.

3. Current solution: A TomTom in my glove box to use in driving.

Huh, I don't think I've ever tried this. I'll test it on my way home and see if mine works. I do know that it's kind of tough to get the thing to understand anything you say. Just cancelling the destination is tough. Have you run through the voice recognition piece where you have to say a bunch of words and phrases so the system can learn your voice?

I think the voice training only applies to the bluetooth phone control. I haven't had much luck with the voice control of the nav. I pretty much gave up on it. I wish I held out till 2009 where the integration of the bluetooth phone control with the nav is much better.

I think the voice training only applies to the bluetooth phone control. I haven't had much luck with the voice control of the nav. I pretty much gave up on it. I wish I held out till 2009 where the integration of the bluetooth phone control with the nav is much better.

Mine works quite well with commands like "POI ON", "POI Off", "I'm Hungry", "POI..." then POI restaurant type.. Also, changing the screen viewing, like Split screen or my favorite "Voice Navigation On/Off".

Many others like "airport", museum...don't seem to work well.

Quite honestly, I've never tried the "GOTO Destination" command. I would want to put in an address on the fly that wasn't already in there. Perhaps today I will try it using a preset destination and report back. Most places I go to, I will put in before I leave PARK and then navigate to and shut off Voice Nav until I need it.

Also, as a useful tool, I've taken this screen capture of the voice commands, shrunk them down, and laminated them to fit into my center console. Works out quite well, rather than opening up the User guide while driving.

Attachments

• Voice NAV Commands.JPG
    Voice NAV Commands.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 811
Just came back from a little drive around town and had absolutely no problem issuing most navigation commands to the system. Pretty much all of the commands worked just fine..zoom in, out, map right, go to destination etc...

You really can't use the system to initiate navigation except to "Go Home". Once you set a destination, and waypoints, you can issue the voice commands to view the destinations et., I never use waypoints, so this option pretty useless for me. I just put in a single destination and go to it.

What most people don't realize is that you CAN navigate to any POI while driving. If you zoom out on the map, and see the POI, you can click the POI you want to navigate to, click SET AS, then Destination. This works just fine, but the POI has to be in the system.

I recall that I did use the Navigations "voice training" system a while back. I went through that sitting in a parked car, in my garage. I think someone said it was for the bluetooth, but I think the two systems are different. It's a lengthy process but worked for me.

SeCX-9,
Thanks for the nice list of Voice Commands.
Without training, Voice Command on CX9 was hard to work with (same as the on my wife's Prius - same Denso system). After I did some voice training with the phone (that part that counts to 40 was boring...).
I printed out the list of Voice Commands you provided. Surely I will keep it accessible in my CX9.

My gripe is about the Mazda navigation does not allow me to "voice command" an address on the fly. My Lexus (same for Toyota) allows the address input via "voice command" but our Mazda does not. What is the point for voice command is I can only give POI but not an address (i.e., 1234 Broadway)? Mazda?

My gripe is about the Mazda navigation does not allow me to "voice command" an address on the fly. My Lexus (same for Toyota) allows the address input via "voice command" but our Mazda does not. What is the point for voice command is I can only give POI but not an address (i.e., 1234 Broadway)? Mazda?

Yes, I totally agree that it's useless if you cannot enter addresses on the fly.

or my favorite "Voice Navigation On/Off".

What does this command do? Does it allow text to speech type navigation where the car speaks to you i.e. "turn left in x feet", etc. similar to a garmin or other portable gps, or is it something else like simply turning voice commands from the driver on/off? I didn't think the CX9 navigation was capable of this, at least I haven't been able to find anything in the manual that specifically talks about it. It looks like it's titled Voice Guidance On/Off on your sheet. I have a 2009. Thanks.

What does this command do? Does it allow text to speech type navigation where the car speaks to you i.e. "turn left in x feet", etc. similar to a garmin or other portable gps, or is it something else like simply turning voice commands from the driver on/off? I didn't think the CX9 navigation was capable of this, at least I haven't been able to find anything in the manual that specifically talks about it. It looks like it's titled Voice Guidance On/Off on your sheet. I have a 2009. Thanks.

Voice Navigation Off simply tells the system to stop announcing the turn-by-turn directions. The NAV shows up on the screen, but they are not announced over the speaker system.

The 2009 uses a different NAV system as the 07 and 08 models. I only have the NAV manual for the 08 CX-9 and this is one of the commans per the cheat-sheet I uploaded earlier.

Voice Navigation Off simply tells the system to stop announcing the turn-by-turn directions. The NAV shows up on the screen, but they are not announced over the speaker system.

The 2009 uses a different NAV system as the 07 and 08 models. I only have the NAV manual for the 08 CX-9 and this is one of the commans per the cheat-sheet I uploaded earlier.

I'll have to try this on mine. I'd like to be able the hear the turn-by-turn directions, but can't seem to figure out how to get them to turn on. I just figured it didn't have that option. I guess that tells you how good the nav manual is! I've looked through that thing several times. I figured there would be a screen menu setting somewhere that would allow me to toggle this on/off, but I can't find one anywhere. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Anyone with a 2009, is this an option for us? Are announced turn-by-turn directions off by default?

I'll have to try this on mine. I'd like to be able the hear the turn-by-turn directions, but can't seem to figure out how to get them to turn on. I just figured it didn't have that option. I guess that tells you how good the nav manual is! I've looked through that thing several times. I figured there would be a screen menu setting somewhere that would allow me to toggle this on/off, but I can't find one anywhere. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Anyone with a 2009, is this an option for us? Are announced turn-by-turn directions off by default?

actually, i have an 09 and mine are ON by default. i actually would like to turn the voice guidance off - it interrupts what i am listening to on the ipod constantly....

actually, i have an 09 and mine are ON by default. i actually would like to turn the voice guidance off - it interrupts what i am listening to on the ipod constantly....

I see. I didn't think about that. I suppose it would interrupt anything playing through the car speakers...whether sat, cd, radio. I can see that becoming very annoying on a shorter trip where you are making frequent turns. Either way, glad to know it's an option that I can turn on or off. I'll have to give it a try tonight...

Thanks for the response!

I logged into the MazdaUSA site this afternoon and checked on a few items on my Mazdas. The owner manuals and brochures are up there to download, but I noticed today....that there is a NEW Interactive Owners Guide. ITs more like a bunch of videos with a guy sitting in the car showing you how to operate car functions. There is a big section on using the Navigation system.

Perhaps there is one for you on your 09 version.

Yup...See attached screen capture of my vehicle on the MazdaUSA website.

Cool. I checked mymazda too, and there is nothing there for mine, which is a 2009. Just the std owners manual and smart start guide. Bummer... At least the nav manual is on-line now though.

Back