auto vs manual transmission

bdubya604

hey guys, i just bought an 09' mazda cx7 gt (drinks). this is my first ever car purchase and to say i'm stoked would be a gross understatement.

i just have a quick question, i have NEVER driven manual before (i know, its embarrassing) and i just want to know if it is ever necessary to use the manual tranny and if so, when and how?

thanks guys, i look forward to reading your responses!

thanks for the responses guys. i will definitely check out the manual but in the meantime, putting the car in D will suffice :p

Driving with your Automatic transmission in Manual should not confused with an actual manual transmission that requires you to use a clutch.

Driving with your Automatic transmission in Manual should not confused with an actual manual transmission that requires you to use a clutch.

"True" manual transaxles are unusual in FWD and/or F/awd vehicles due to the danger therefrom.

VW has just introduced a new feature that undoubtedly will increase the safety factor substantially. Sort of a form of TC, Traction Control, in that the engine will automatically up-rev if the driver should inadvertently downshift to a level that results in too much engine compression braking for roadbed conditions.

"True" manual transaxles are unusual in FWD and/or F/awd vehicles due to the danger therefrom.

I should know better than to ask for an explanation, because this may be close to the stupidest car related remark I have ever read on the internet.

VW has just introduced a new feature that undoubtedly will increase the safety factor substantially. Sort of a form of TC, Traction Control, in that the engine will automatically up-rev if the driver should inadvertently downshift to a level that results in too much engine compression braking for roadbed conditions.

What!! Manuals in front wheel drives are unusual and dangerous? Seriously? Have you not looked at most Honda Civics or VW Jettas and Golfs or Mazda Protege and 3s or similar? There are plenty of manuals in front wheel drive cars.

I don't know where you are getting this dangerous from manual transmissions in front wheel drive cars from. I have been driving and racing front and rear wheel drive manual transmission cars for many years now have yet to see any transmission configuration more dangerous than another.

There are a few basic reasons why manufactures are putting manumatics into cars vs. traditional manual transmissions. Some of those are:

1) Higher torque capacity (Main reason with the new BMW Z4 35is gets DCT vs a manual transmission)
2) More control over the shifting for the EPA (read emissions not fuel economy)
3) Quicker shifting and lack of the "lift" effect between shift
4) Preference for automatic yet still have the desire to "shift"

Just to name a few. In a way, you are right, the manumatics do introduce a bit more safety as it takes the human element out of the equation a little further.

Back