Stiff / hard steering

Huligan

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 Grand Touring
Heya,

Ever since I got my MS3 about a year ago, I noticed the steering was stiff as hell. Like, it took a real effort to drive around twisty areas. When the road is bumpy or uneven (like where I live) you have to stiff arm it like a mother. On long drives (3+ hours), it literally kicks my ass. I feel like my arms will fall off because I constantly have to grip the wheel.

I understand this is a "sports compact" and that suspension is made so we can feel the road better, blah blah..

I drove an 06 STi, 08 STi and 09 WRX and they all have way smoother steering. Way more comfortable without losing "feeling" for the road.

Before the MS3 I owned a Jetta and a Civic for over 4 years, and both were 1000x smoother on the steering wheel to the point that I could drive "with one finger" instead of having to grip the damn thing.

like i first said, its fine on nice highways, however, uneven or bumpy highways / streets is where it kills me. I figured I had to get used to this car or maybe work out my arms a bit, but it's been a year since I got the car and it peeves me =(

anyone else have this problem??

Try this?
71GQEJ1R3HL._SS400_.jpg

This forum is full of lawl

Its the price you pay for getting good response through the wheel. 60% of the weight is over the steering wheels and even with power steering it can be a bit more of an effort. I don't think out cars have that hard of steering though. Check your power steering pump eat a power bar and report back with results.

Heya,

Ever since I got my MS3 about a year ago, I noticed the steering was stiff as hell. Like, it took a real effort to drive around twisty areas. When the road is bumpy or uneven (like where I live) you have to stiff arm it like a mother. On long drives (3+ hours), it literally kicks my ass. I feel like my arms will fall off because I constantly have to grip the wheel.

I understand this is a "sports compact" and that suspension is made so we can feel the road better, blah blah..

I drove an 06 STi, 08 STi and 09 WRX and they all have way smoother steering. Way more comfortable without losing "feeling" for the road.

Before the MS3 I owned a Jetta and a Civic for over 4 years, and both were 1000x smoother on the steering wheel to the point that I could drive "with one finger" instead of having to grip the damn thing.

like i first said, its fine on nice highways, however, uneven or bumpy highways / streets is where it kills me. I figured I had to get used to this car or maybe work out my arms a bit, but it's been a year since I got the car and it peeves me =(

anyone else have this problem??

powerbars aside, no...the wheel is very easy to turn. It's possible yours has a steering problem... Maybe hop in another Mazda 3 to see if they feel different. I can say this though, I have driven a Jetta and some later year Civic's and they have steering that is closer to that of an SUV...not a performance car, which is what the Mazda steering feels closer to being. Surprised you said the STi felt the same. Worth a shot to test another Mazda though, the MS3 certainly shouldn't take much effort or make your arms tired at all.

The MS3 has purposely heavy (though quite communicative) steering for this segment, probably as an effort to reduce torque steer.

Get used to it. :)

This steering is quite easy to use acutally. I'm no muscle man either coming in @ 140lbs. Maybe your powersteering pump has failed. If it hasnt... man up? Drink more milk?

Kain... I'm lawl'ing with ya. Woohoo 1,111 post.

I've never had this problem with any of my cars - the MS3 is no exception and I'm a skinny asian guy. Maybe there really is something wrong with your power steering. Easiest way would be to drive a Mazda3 or another MS3 at the dealer or something.

I am pretty sure you read it wrong...

when i was 15, I was BENCH PRESSING 100 lbs. That doesnt mean I weighed 100 lbs. lol

in my school, there were maybe 8 of us that were able to lift over 100 lbs... sure there was 1 guy that was a freak and was doing 150lbs+ but thats another story.

so have you checked out your powersteering?

you all need to stop taking s*** so personally. I swear this forum as of late reminds me of Ghostbusters 2 when they have evil slime running under the city that made everybody crabby, over sensitive, and mean.

On to your power steering...yes the car has stiff steering. I like it. If you don't maybe something is wrong. Take it to the dealer.

I called the 3 dealers in town. 2 of em already sold their demo 2009 ms3 and the 3rd dealer is checking and will get back to me to see if they can get a demo ms3 and all 3 said they wont get any 2010s for a month or so.

I called the 3 dealers in town. 2 of em already sold their demo 2009 ms3 and the 3rd dealer is checking and will get back to me to see if they can get a demo ms3 and all 3 said they wont get any 2010s for a month or so.

Did you check your PS?

is there anyone in your area that has an ms3 that they would let you try?

Did you check your PS?

I wouldn't know how to check it physically other than turning the wheel at a complete stop, which it definitely works but like i said, it's "heavy".

Edit: also, as stated in the original post, the problem is mostly noticeable in uneven roads where i have to stiff arm the wheel or it will turn like crazy over slight bumps or ondulations in the road.

With some wind on the highway is another case, where i have to GRIP and apply considerable force to keep the wheel straight cuz it pulls so damn much

in a civic / jetta which i have the most driving experience (4+ years each), literally a finger on the wheel would keep it straight on windy days and a relaxed hand holding the wheel would keep it straight on bad roads.

Last edited:
Back