Drivers side clunk...

:
08 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
So...Ive been hearing this clunking noise coming from what sounds like the drivers side of the vehicle whenever i hit bumps and rougher parts of the road. I have medieval rear and trans mounts and they are both tight. What else could it be? flat roads, hard launches, and shifting all feel fine so i dont know what else to look at.(huh)

same problem here, although my car is basically stock, other than intake and exhaust. I took it in to the dealership, and the guy drove it, and he told me he didnt hear anything.

do u have a CAI?

CAI mounting brackets can sometimes cause noises as well

Take a look at your sway bar endlinks. I had clunking in the past and found out that one of my rear endlinks was really loose. I tightened it up and it never made a noise again.

I'm hoping that is what mine is. I'll be jacking the car up and putting it on stands to coat the underbody to prevent rust, and will have to take my wheels off at the same time

well i got under the car today and i didnt notice anything loose and now there is vibration in my pedals while braking and driving and something feels off while driving. i dont know if its the transmission or just the medieval trans mount i have...though i checked that too and all the bolts were tight. no leaks. the car only has 13000 miles on it so it cant be the brakes can it????(hand) how often are you supposed to change trans fluid? ugh this car is on my last nerve!

lol the stealership would take one look at my car, laugh, and rip up the warranty in front of me. My stepfather works at a shop where i do all of my work so ill head there and pull the wheels and see whats goin on

Oh I see, I guess that's what modded "enough" means ;)

Did you get a chance to see if your struts/shocks might have gone bad?

Last edited:
ive decided to get the wheels rebalanced and also getting a set of awr front sway bar endlinks. i had a really knowledgeable mechanic take the car for a spin with me in passenger and he said that the clunk is most definetly the end links because of how cheap they are. and he said the vibrations are a combination of the aftermarket mounts and possibly wheels needing balanced. the weights are just double side taped on there so maybe i tossed one at some point. we'll see!

check that medieval trans mount. Their bushings/quality/fit and finish is very questionable. After about 2 months with the trans mount i was trying to isolate a noise i was hearing so i decided to take it out and the bushing had loosen and the metal sleeve had room to move around.

Though it wasn't the cause of the noise i was looking for, im not putting it back in.

Not sure if will help in your case, but should check it out just in case since you looking around there anyways.

Last edited:
Back