P2402: EVAP Detection pump circuit high

jville

:
2007 MazdaSpeed 6
Has anyone had this issue, We have had 3 of these 09 mazda 5's in our rental fleet with this issue that we vended out to Mazda and they claim the vehicles have been submerged and water went into the pump. The only way for water to accumulate in the Evap detection pump is for the rear of the car to literally be in 30 inches or more of water due to the shape of the vent tube. We ended up eating the cost (1300$+) of those 3, but now we have 2 with the same concern, and i find it hard believe that either this many people are mud bogging in our rentals or that nobody else has had this issue. Please help asap. Need evap diagrams if possible.

Thanks for the heads up. Did not happen yet in our 2006 MZ5.

What parts did they have to replace?

Did some reading of the workshop manual. Charcoal cannister and airpump assembly is located low. Water getting into the vent hole should not cause a problem.. since it will only reach the vanes of the pump. (not the motor). But if the rear of the car gets submerged water might eventually seep inside the airpump assembly. Not a good design. In any case I think it is something to watch out for... Like when driving through flooded streets. Or maybe when taking the car for a carwash.

Curious. I go to Jax a lot and I've seen how standing water can be an issue with heavy rains.

Did this happen to all three roughly the same time? Within a few weeks of each other?

Is that pickup tube located on an interior location or exterior like in a fenderwell.

You think heavy splashing from driving through standing (1-3") water would get enough water up there to cause the problem?

After much deliberation me and the other tech have figured the design flaw in the RR fenderwell that at high speeds in heavy rain (ALL THE TIME IN FL) it is entirely possible for water to accumulate in the vent tube and go down to the lowest point in the system ie: the detection pump. We basically took an air gun and blew past the vehicle while using a spay bottle to mist water into the stream and watched it as it went right up between the gap in the fenderwell. with the other side of the vent tube removed from the detection pump it was clearly making it's way in. The parts that the dealers scammed us on were :aj51-18-581a detection pump 206.45,l3p5-18-791 jumper harness 109.05 and 235.00 in labor. All of which was NOT caused by the vehicl being submerged under water. The car would literally have to be up to the fuel filler to be far emough under for water to go into vehicle. Which by that time it would have hydro locked. Next time you go out to your 5 just look at where the fuel door is and imagine what it would be lik if you car was that deep. We ae buuilding or case againsat mazda to re-calim the expenses that we have accrued with their bs.

Dear Skyhawk
"Did some reading of the workshop manual. "
Can you tell me where to get a shop manual for Mazdas, specifically the Mazda 6 2006? Thanks
I am having the P2402 code coming up. I doubt heavy rain or other water is the issue here. It only happens once in awhile, maybe every two weeks.
Dave

Last edited:
decrotty - yes, there is an online repair manual for download.

I'm searching for it now. It has been posted on this forum before.
m.

Dear Skyhawk
"Did some reading of the workshop manual. "
Can you tell me where to get a shop manual for Mazdas, specifically the Mazda 6 2006? Thanks
I am having the P2402 code coming up. I doubt heavy rain or other water is the issue here. It only happens once in awhile, maybe every two weeks.
Dave

I can't find the online-manual link in the net anymore. It was some 80MB size.

Anyway the 'online' manual does not have the P2402 code.. as it does not have same emission control like what we have in N.A. No leak detection pump.

I do have the printed version (bought it from the dealer). took some photos
of the pages concerning P2402. hope it helps.

http://users.accesscomm.ca/gerryc/skyhawk

Skyhawk,
Thanks for the pages. I think I understand what I see. I did get the dealer gas cap and so far no repeat of code. However we will see in a week or so.
Dave

Ok, after two days (5-7 trips) the CEL comes on posting code P2402 as usual. Open the gas cap provides a woosh of gas odor suggesting that there really is gas pressure in there. Other suggestions from the Auto Zone printout include electrical conductivity, bad sensor or bad pump. Seems all of these would fail every time not just once in awhile, and loss of gas pressure would certainly happen every time. Mazda 6 2006 about 53,000miles.

Ok, after two days (5-7 trips) the CEL comes on posting code P2402 as usual. Open the gas cap provides a woosh of gas odor suggesting that there really is gas pressure in there. Other suggestions from the Auto Zone printout include electrical conductivity, bad sensor or bad pump. Seems all of these would fail every time not just once in awhile, and loss of gas pressure would certainly happen every time. Mazda 6 2006 about 53,000miles.

I find this interesting. So here is my 2cents at de-mystifying this part
of the mazda5.
--
In the case of '2402' EVAP system leak detection pump motor circuit high.
There are 3 suspect parts, electrical shorts (corroded terminals causing high current to ground),
Bad airpump motor assy.
Defective PCM.

CIMG5452lrg.jpg

From the above, the System turns on pump and obtains initial load current.
Then change over valve opens. load current drops and slowly climbs up.
The rate of the load current increase will tell the computer if there
is 'slow leak' or gross leak.

From the readings, the system can also know if the change over valve
has failed.

BTW, the system also knows if the air filter (there is a small air filter in the evap detection system) is clogged.

And then the system assigns them individual error codes. amazing!

But then to do the above accurately, it has to make sure that the
pump motor is also working perfectly.

In your case, the system has detected that the load current is
read to be 'too high'. If left unresolved, it may not give accurate
'leak detection functions'. So it gives you the 2402 error, that
you may replace the pump, or check the circuit for shorts, etc.

evap1large.jpg

evappumplarge.jpg

These are just my interpretation.

Conscious with repair time, I figure the tech will just put in a new
air pump. And observe.

Last edited:
Has anyone had this issue, We have had 3 of these 09 mazda 5's in our rental fleet with this issue that we vended out to Mazda and they claim the vehicles have been submerged and water went into the pump. The only way for water to accumulate in the Evap detection pump is for the rear of the car to literally be in 30 inches or more of water due to the shape of the vent tube. We ended up eating the cost (1300$+) of those 3, but now we have 2 with the same concern, and i find it hard believe that either this many people are mud bogging in our rentals or that nobody else has had this issue. Please help asap. Need evap diagrams if possible.

#1 Do NOT overfill your gas tank. When the gas pump nozzle stops that is enough. Overfilling is bad and could cause problems with EVAP system. Make sure your GAS CAP clicks several times. Use code reader to cancel codes. If it comes back check relay and or fuse. The "pump evap sensor" might need to be replaced that is near the gas tank. The part is available from RockAuto.com for about $82.
Finally, Pump EVAP Sensor

Back