Idle Issues

Aaronlux

:
2003.5 MSP
Hey guys haven't posted in a while, but Im having some idling issues and I was hoping to get some other thing I can try tomorrow when I get a chance to work on the car. This just started tonight after the car had warmed up and I was sitting at a stop sign. I am planning on cleaning the MAF and the EGR. Any other things I should do while I am working on that? The plugs have less than 5000 miles on them so they should be in good shape, but Im going to look at them tomorrow. I posted a short video of the idle so you all can get an idea what is happening.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.MOV
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
Get some Seafoam and use 1/3 of it via the pcv hose and put the rest in your gas tank with a fill up. Also replace your pcv, just because it still rattles doesn't mean that the spring is not shot, its a cheap part. Check and clean or replace your air filter. Make sure your plugs are gapped with the specified range 0.028-0.031.

With over 76K on mine I have never cleaned the EGR or MAF and have no idle issues. The car idles perfectly at 700rpms.

Get some Seafoam and use 1/3 of it via the pcv hose and put the rest in your gas tank with a fill up. Also replace your pcv, just because it still rattles doesn't mean that the spring is not shot, its a cheap part. Check and clean or replace your air filter. Make sure your plugs are gapped with the specified range 0.028-0.031.

With over 76K on mine I have never cleaned the EGR or MAF and have no idle issues. The car idles perfectly at 700rpms.

I am just wondering why this is happening cause it just started suddenly last night without warning. I'll call up pepboys today about the pcv valve. Any specific one I should get?

I am just wondering why this is happening cause it just started suddenly last night without warning. I'll call up pepboys today about the pcv valve. Any specific one I should get?

I use the Purolator PV1047(MilleniaS part). It's hard to say exactly why it happens but it is a common issue among many MSP owners. The pig rich tuning does not help when it comes to carbon buildup, so that could be the cause. You might want to do 2 treatments through the pcv hose, as well as the other things that I mentioned. Depending on the miles on your car you might have a faulty TPS. Eliminate the simple things first before you go about changing parts or removing them for cleaning if you go that route.

I use the Purolator PV1047(MilleniaS part). It's hard to say exactly why it happens but it is a common issue among many MSP owners. The pig rich tuning does not help when it comes to carbon buildup, so that could be the cause. You might want to do 2 treatments through the pcv hose, as well as the other things that I mentioned. Depending on the miles on your car you might have a faulty TPS. Eliminate the simple things first before you go about changing parts or removing them for cleaning if you go that route.

Just got that exact pcv valve. I only have 59000 miles on the car so idk. I'm gonna try pcv valve and clean MAF and seafoam. I'll post up the results later. If this might hep car runs lean when it drops idle.

Just installed PCV valve and cleaned MAF. No change, still rough idle. It kinda sounds like a deep wop sound is coming from the exhaust. Seafoam later once I do some reading up on it. I dont want to mess up the car worse that it already is.

Coils or wires gone bad? What type of plugs do you have (copper, platinum, iridium, etc)? My idle improved going from iridium back to copper.

Coils or wires gone bad? What type of plugs do you have (copper, platinum, iridium, etc)? My idle improved going from iridium back to copper.

That could be the issue. Its looking like its something electrical cause when I hold the power window switches in the down position my idle drops almost 400rpm. I disconnected most of my after market electrical stuff which seemed to help that issue. I will call pepboys about new spark plug coils/wires tomorrow. I have been using the iridium plugs for a while now with no issue, but at this point ill do whatever it takes. I really just want my car running well again.

If your rpms drop when you put the windows up or down, then I'm not sure its a spark plug thing. How old is your battery? Almost sounds like there's too much load for the battery to handle. Though I'm not sure if battery issues would cause the erratic idle.

It was on the car when I bought it. It has a sticker on it that indicates the date 12/2007. Anyone have any ideas? Im running out of ideas.

If your rpms drop when you put the windows up or down, then I'm not sure its a spark plug thing. How old is your battery? Almost sounds like there's too much load for the battery to handle. Though I'm not sure if battery issues would cause the erratic idle.

Seafoam has been around since 1947 and will not hurt your car. Stick a small funnel in the pcv hose after disconnecting it. Turn on the car and pour it in SLOWLY. You can goose the throttle at the throttlebody to keep the engine on while pouring. Turn off the car and let it sit for a few minutes. Then start the car and rev it up to 2K rpms for a minute or so then let it idle. Go for a drive after that. Since you have never done it you might want to do a second treatment.

Now that said if your TPS is faulty or you have a timing issue then nothing suggested is going to help you. Most likely you don't as it only happens occasionally and not all of the time.

So check to make sure that your air filter is clean and the plugs are gapped correctly. Iridium, platinum or copper dosen't matter, although the latter provides a better spark but they won't last as long as the first two types.

Now that said if your TPS is faulty or you have a timing issue then nothing suggested is going to help you. Most likely you don't as it only happens occasionally and not all of the time.

How can I find out if my TPS is bad?

Aaron

Solved the problem. I got the engine code P0300(random cylinder misfire). Got some new wires and coil packs and the cars running perfectly now. It sucks that I disconnected my boost and oil pressure gauge lights and turbo timer as I thought it was a bad ground or some electrical issue. Looks like I'm going to be doing some soldering this weekend, but I'm happy to have my car back and running well.

good lcuk man! whenever i fix a problem by doing something the problem ends up coming back the next day. i have the same problem as you but no mis fire cods... i hope it works for you, i have new plugs as well but thinking about getting new wires. did you get OE wires and coil packs?

I am having the same problem too, over the weekend I got the flashing cel so I went to Autozone to get the free diagnostic, and the code was P0300 random misfire, so I got new spark plugs and cables. After that the problem still the same, today I cleaned the MAF and tried cleaning the egr but still no help. I gues my next step is to check the TPS and or getting new coils.

Last edited:
I ended up getting new wires and coils. It took care of all the problems. I used the stock parts and its running fine. Hopefully I wont need to do this again for another 60k miles.

dont count on that my car is allready misfiring and i only changed my coils and wires about 10,000kms ago but it only slightly misfires now just sometimes when im idleing

Latest posts

Back