Intermediate shaft carrier bearing?

jtlinna

:
mazda protege 5
Mine is shot.. Unless the the new wheel bearings i put on are bad. And we all know they could be. But the bearing noise is out of the passenger side floor board.. And i can feel it in the wheel.. Steering isnt changing the noise.. Only the weight of the whole car going up and down as i go up and down hills.. None of the part stores list the Intermediate shaft or the carrier bearing thats on it.. Is this a dealer part only??? Hope not.. Them sons of bitches..(sssh)
PS. I know its not the tires on my car as they were fine untill I drove to wausau wisconsin. The bearing noise started on the way back.. And takes about 5 mins or so on a cold car to start acting up in the morning. The longer i drive the louder it gets..

Thanks JT

Mine is shot.. Unless the the new wheel bearings i put on are bad. And we all know they could be. But the bearing noise is out of the passenger side floor board.. And i can feel it in the wheel.. Steering isnt changing the noise.. Only the weight of the whole car going up and down as i go up and down hills..

Thanks JT

Hey JT...

It's been a few years since you posted this... and you may not even have the car anymore (lol), but did you ever get that carrier bearing replaced and did it solve this issue? I'm chasing what I believe to be the exact same noise/failure... shifting the weight of the car to the back seems to be the only thing that affects it.

Thanks in advance ;)

(I PM'd JT as well, and left this here in case anyone else stumbles upon it.)

.. I'm not sure carrier bearing is the correct term, but I'm suspecting the bearing that the intermediate half shaft goes into in the support bracket.

Intermediate_Shaft.png

6206 bearing........... just make sure you buy a high grade ABEC+3 or better bearing-your welcome

6206 bearing........... just make sure you buy a high grade ABEC+3 or better bearing-your welcome

Thanks... the bearing is also available from Mazda for not too much money.. just trying to figure out if this ever fixed the problem described here before I go to all that trouble for nothing. lol thanks again though.

Last edited:
I just had the same issue and fixed it using Mazda part 9960682064 which also cross-references with 6206 and Timken RW101 at my local parts store. Had to press the new bearing into the carrier and replaced outer axle, not the jackshaft.

Apologies for the zombie thread, but my new thread has fizzled ....

How did you perform the bearing replacement? Were you able to do it on the benchtop with hand tools, or did you use a hydraulic press?

Thanks for the reply! Still ... figures. Having the machine shop press bearings for me is expensive!

Back