Rattle/knocking sound mostly when slipping into 1st and 2nd Gear

Albaberg

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I recently bought a 2002 Protege5. Sometimes -- especially on hills -- there is a brief knocking/rattling sound when the car is slipping into 1st or 2nd gear (sometimes I hear it a little going into 3rd and 4th). I thought nothing of it until today...

... when I was stuck in traffic and had the AC going full blast in the LA heat. I looked and the temp gauge was nearly at "H". I quickly turned off the AC, turned on the heat and the car slowly cooled. But I noticed as traffic lessened and I was able to drive that the knocking/rattling sound was MUCH worse. After the car cooled down, however, all seems back to how it was.

Confused about what happened and what my issues are. I just moved from NYC and haven't owned a car in over a decade so I don't know much about them.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

J.

clutch chatter
replace it and it will fix it

you need to flush your radiator and get a new thermostat also

clutch chatter
replace it and it will fix it

you need to flush your radiator and get a new thermostat also

Thanks for responding, TheMan.

I was going to add that this is a manual transmission, but maybe that's obvious to folks.

TheMan: do you know why the clutch chatter, if that's what it is, would be affected by a hot radiator? And any idea ballpark what these might cost?

Thanks again all!

J.

how does your clutch feel though??

it might be something else man and i dont know if your car over heating has anything to do with it....

things like this need for someone to be there or for you to take a video of it

More on rattling

Thanks for the response, hondajunkie01. The clutch still feels fine and works, but may need to be replaced to fix the rattling/knocking sound I get when slipping into gear. Since I first posted the sound has gotten a little worse but isn't too bad.

What I can't figure out is why when the car started to overheat, did the sound/clutch get much worse. Seems mysterious.

I know I should still take the car in for fluid check and possibly a new thermostat but probably don't have the money for a new clutch right now.

J.

The clutch itself isn't too expensive, about $100 for the stock one. You should probably replace the pilot and release bearings too, which is about another $40 or $50. The big killer is the labour cost. It takes a while to remove the transmission and put it back in. I believe there is a thread around here somewhere with the labour times listed, although it seems to be like a snipe, always mentioned, never seen.

The clutch itself isn't too expensive, about $100 for the stock one. You should probably replace the pilot and release bearings too, which is about another $40 or $50. The big killer is the labour cost. It takes a while to remove the transmission and put it back in. I believe there is a thread around here somewhere with the labour times listed, although it seems to be like a snipe, always mentioned, never seen.

Info is appreciated. Still wondering about why when car got overheated that once it affected the rattling clutch making it much worse... but I'll just get it looked at sometime and hopefully can figure out. Thanks!

Are you sure the sound isn't from the engine?
I ask because I too don't understand why an engine overheating will cause the clutch to make a noise.

Clifton

Are you sure the sound isn't from the engine?
I ask because I too don't understand why an engine overheating will cause the clutch to make a noise.

Clifton

No, I'm not sure. That was my initial question and people seemed to think it was "clutch chatter". Clutch chatter makes sense because it is a rattling/knocking that happens as the car slips into gear, but it does get worse when the car is hot, which confuses me.

E.g., the day the car nearly overheated, the sound of the rattling as I changed gears got MUCH worse. It also felt like it took a lot longer for the clutch to grab when this was happening. Any thoughts?

IT'S CALLED CLUTCH CHATTER

stop beating yourself over it and just replace the damn clutch already!

google if you don't know what it means

Latest posts

Back