08 CX9 is the worst automobile I have owned

Lovers

This is the worst automobile I have ever owned (I have bought my wife 9 new cars). 2008 CX9 Grand Touring, 14 months old, 24k miles. Brakes squeak horribly when backing up long story short CSR at Mazda said no problem, will fix it, regional manager turned down request (had 13k miles you should see the look on peoples faces when I tell them the denial story bad PR move Mazda)

The steering wheel locks up have been told several times to wiggle it it eventually works, however, I would not like to depend upon this car in any type of emergency.

The remote controls are a joke have to point it from the front of the car to have limited success.

The gas mileage is pathetic I know why Mazda did not put a mpg reader in this POS.

Rides ok on a smooth road, although it rides, and sounds, horrible on a rough road.

The interior (although the silver plastic under the front doors handles scratch easily) is decent, and the appearance is good.

My wife and I discussed this car last night she stated that she hates it so I will be looking for a new car soon, and not looking forward to taking a financial hit.

You'll do much better in a Buick Enclave if you are still looking for a 3 row.

On the same sentiment, MPG is really bad. But some folks here seem to get 22-24mpg w/o much effort. Go figure. I'm around 18mpg. Not complaining coz' I knew that going in. City is around 16mpg for me.

Ride is harsh with those 20" on bad Michigan roads, but someone said the ride is plush compared to his Bimmer. On smooth hwy roads, it is decent. On our piss poor Michigan roads, you can feel every single imperfection. A bit too much in my opinion.

Steering wheel does lock up once in a while, but I think that's coz' you jiggle/wiggle it right after you stop the engine. At least that's the case for me. Just apply pressure to turn the wheel while turning the "fake" key knob will usually fix this.

Remote control is indeed a joke. So much so I don't even use it. I carry it with me and press the door unlock button when I'm at the door. Many times I try to unlock the hatch using the remote, but it takes so many presses to unlock all the doors first before I can unlock the hatch that I'm already at the car by that time.

Interior is ok say compared to the Highlander or Pilot, but 08 could have used a trip computer no doubt. How could you not for a vehicle that cost $40k MSRP (GT AWD with Assist and Moonroof package).

Can't say much about the brakes. Usually these are wear and tear items. Not likely they'll be covered under the 3/36 warranty. If they are, usually case by case basis.

Now is not a good time to sell a gas guzzler.

Lovers,
Maybe you should tell us what are other "better vehicles" you have owned before...

We've had nothing but problems with our 07, too. Same problem with the brakes. Dealer "fixed" it, but now it's happening again. Brake heat shields bending. Weather stripping coming off. Windows that won't go up all the way because molding is crooked. Splines clicking when they shouldn't. All kinds of crap.

For the first year, my wife LOVED her CX-9. Said it was the first car she'd ever LOVED. Now, at the 2 year point, she HATES it. We'll be paying it down as much as possible by the end of the factory warranty, then trading it on something else. Very disappointing vehicle so far.

Is there anyone here other than me who really doesn't care about the MPG? I've only checked mine a few times, out of curiosity, when I took long road trips. Other than that I never check, and don't care--just fill her up when needed.

If I cared about MPG I would have bought some POS hybrid.

Is there anyone here other than me who really doesn't care about the MPG? I've only checked mine a few times, out of curiosity, when I took long road trips. Other than that I never check, and don't care--just fill her up when needed.

Agree with you there. I too checked out of curiosity but my first criteria in purchasing a crossover SUV was the people/cargo carrying capacity. Fuel economy did not enter into the equation. If fuel economy was the priority, then I would have purchased a hybrid or some other econobox.

As for the harsh ride, you should have purchased the Sport or Touring version with the 18" wheels instead of the GT with the 20" wheels. Motor Trend mentioned that the ride comfort was better on the other two models.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the mpg's at first, but I don't let it bother me. It's a 4600 pound CUV so I wasn't expecting it to get the mpg's of a sedan. You won't find much better in any other vehicle with the people carrying capacity unless you go to a minivan. And neither my wife or I would be caught dead driving a minivan.

MPGs don't bother me. Actually not much worse than I get with my MS6, and better than we get in the grand cherokee.

And OUR CX-9 (Sport, 18-inch wheels) rides NICE. WHen it's not in the shop.

To each his own opinion.
The remote is not that good, but the ability to push a button and open the door works for me just as well.
The gas mileage is as stated.
Never had a problem with the steering wheel.
20 inches will be harsher

I'm with ya Bro.!!

I own vehicles to own them and not worry about the best possible mpg I can get. How much savings per year is 1,2 or even 4 mpg? I spend more on toilet paper in a month (nailbyt)

And it is all about how you drive! Not so much the vehicle is not capable of advertise MPG because it is. I can take my SRT10 on a highway 100 mile ride and get 15-16mpg if I wanted to but it ain't fun. So getting around 13mpg on the highway makes me smile and 9mpg city makes me smile even more.

This is the worst automobile I have ever owned (I have bought my wife 9 new cars). 2008 CX9 Grand Touring, 14 months old, 24k miles. Brakes squeak horribly when backing up long story short CSR at Mazda said no problem, will fix it, regional manager turned down request (had 13k miles you should see the look on peoples faces when I tell them the denial story bad PR move Mazda)

The steering wheel locks up have been told several times to wiggle it it eventually works, however, I would not like to depend upon this car in any type of emergency.

The remote controls are a joke have to point it from the front of the car to have limited success.

The gas mileage is pathetic I know why Mazda did not put a mpg reader in this POS.

Rides ok on a smooth road, although it rides, and sounds, horrible on a rough road.

The interior (although the silver plastic under the front doors handles scratch easily) is decent, and the appearance is good.

My wife and I discussed this car last night she stated that she hates it so I will be looking for a new car soon, and not looking forward to taking a financial hit.

By Chrysler.. Be Happy(idhitit)

14 months of being abused by Mazda and the CX9 (dunno)

Go figure... (killit)(killit)(killit)

I think your the dumb ass who has kept the vehicle for that long so deal with it. And don't give me any s*** about not being able to get rid of it either! You could afford to buy your wife 9 new vehicles since you have been married then you can afford to get rid of it..

What an unlucky person...

I felt sorry for this guy having problems with his CX-9.
When i bought 2007 model in Saudi, the only issue i had was the annoying buzzing alarm at 120 km/h and the speed delimiter 160km. Never had a single problem with that model. I left Saudi in 2008, and bought 2008 model in my home country. The only issue i had faced was the front rotor warping, but Mazda agent replaced both including brake pads since it is under warranty. Mileage wise, don't feel any pinch because gas is cheap here, about US$0.30 per liter. (yippy)
So, I'm going to continue having fun with my ride and hope no annoying issue pop up.

I think your the dumb ass who has kept the vehicle for that long so deal with it. And don't give me any s*** about not being able to get rid of it either! You could afford to buy your wife 9 new vehicles since you have been married then you can afford to get rid of it..

I've had my share of grief dealing with Mazda as well. Guess I'm a "dumb ass" too. Luckily, I don't resort to mud slinging when somebody puts down the car I bought, and the exact moment I unload it is my business and not that of some nobody banging away his or her frustrations on a keyboard.

I don't like the taste of the hater's post, either, but I will fight for the person's right to post their honest experience. This is the first and last time I'll be posting to your "opinion", for lack of a better word.

Agreed. The guy had a bad experience with Mazda and his CX-9. Doesn't mean he needs to be insulted. Ours has been horrible on reliability, and while our dealer has been good about TRYING to fix it, they can only do so much.

Chill out, The-9.

I've had my share of grief dealing with Mazda as well. Guess I'm a "dumb ass" too. Luckily, I don't resort to mud slinging when somebody puts down the car I bought, and the exact moment I unload it is my business and not that of some nobody banging away his or her frustrations on a keyboard.

I don't like the taste of the hater's post, either, but I will fight for the person's right to post their honest experience. This is the first and last time I'll be posting to your "opinion", for lack of a better word.

Some 1st timer comes on this board and slings crap about the vehicle so I sling some back. Whoopie... I wonder why his wife owned 9 new vehicles since they got married? Probably hated everyone and this one is no different. How do we know the way this person drives? Maybe like an idiot or maybe like a grandma. How do we know this vehicle is kept in good working order? I have seen people buy cars and a year later they look 5 years old or worse. Maybe that is why the factory rep rejected the brake fix request??

When he wrote his post, it became anyone's business so me telling him when to get rid of it was on point (mj)
Drill into what the guy writes and you may come back with a different opinion then you have now. (yes)

And for the OP, if this is reality you write, stop taking it up the ass and get of the ride. You got the coin so do it now and stop whining which I bet you have since day one.

Agreed. The guy had a bad experience with Mazda and his CX-9. Doesn't mean he needs to be insulted. Ours has been horrible on reliability, and while our dealer has been good about TRYING to fix it, they can only do so much.

Chill out, The-9.

I'm chilled. There are ways to post 1st time on a forum and he did not quite meet expectations. (shocked)

No asking for help, just condemning the vehicle and Mazda and showing the stupidity of keep the vehicle all this time when he has the change. Now I will say if he has been married for 45 years then maybe every 5 he gets his wife a new car but even then, he is doing OK and losing a couple of grand to get rid of a lemon should not be out of the question. But maybe he likes abuse from Mazda and the CX9, hell for 14 months he is obviously beaten up daily by it so a little smack from me should be no surprise (enguard)

I just came off a 1000 mile trip. Prior results was 17 MPH with alot of city driving. This trip gave me on average 22.3 MPH. One tank resulted in a 24.1 MPH. I was happy with my highway results. BTW, the ride was smooth!!

2009 CX-9 GT AWD

I just came off a 1000 mile trip. Prior results was 17 MPH with alot of city driving. This trip gave me on average 22.3 MPH. One tank resulted in a 24.1 MPH. I was happy with my highway results. BTW, the ride was smooth!!

2009 CX-9 GT AWD

Yeah, the ride of the CX-9 is exceptional, and the mileage was never a big issue for us. We were going to drive it to AZ soon, but I'm not sure I trust its reliability at this point.

Aside from some complications with the navi, my overall experience so far has been pretty good with my '09 GT.

Back