2002 protege5 ticking noise

Hopefully this is posted in the correct place. My girlfriends 2002 Protege5 is making a loud and distinctive ticking noise while the car is moving but only when you let off the gas and are not braking. I mean as soon as you tap the brakes or tap the gas it goes away. I tried gliding and shifting to neutral and it makes the noise just the same. The sound increases or decreases with how fast you go so its definitely something thats rotating. The car has brand new brakes all around. Would this be a CV maybe? Trans? It is definitely coming from the front end and maybe the drivers side (but maybe thats just because thats where I am sitting not totally sure). The car has 110k miles and is an automatic, 1.8K I believe. Would any of you mazda heads have an idea what this may be? She doesn't have a lot of money so i am gonna try and fix it for her if I can get a proper diagnosis. TIA.

I have a feeling that it doesn't really go away when you hit the gas; you probably just can't hear it any more. My guess is that it's something to do with the brakes. Did you start hearing it right after the brake job?

Well you were right. It started about 6 months after the brake job. Apparently something loosened up. I took off th wheel an tightened everything Icould, I think th caliper was loose. Sound is gone now! Certainly could have been worse.

Back