Grinding into 3rd

LostViper

Did a search, found that some P5's have this problem. When I'm pretty hard on the gas, and shift between 5-6k rpm, going into 3rd gear grinds. I have my foot planted on the clutch, so I know it's not me letting go of the clutch too early. This is happening more frequently now. Anyone else have this problem?

nope, but it sounds like you need some motor mounts. high RPM on stock mounts has so much drivetrain lash on these cars, im surprised you dont see it in other gears as well. almost might want a shifter and some bushings.

the problem is the weak motor mounts and cable shifter. When ever load is taken off the engine, the engine shifts and that throws out the alignment of everything else. Get an aftermarket set of mounts like the trz and some shifter bushings and should notice a decrease in the grinding. Also, and this is free, remove the counter weight. that helped me a lot as well.

Right after I bought the car, I installed an SU rear engine mount, but the 3rd gear grind kept coming back.

I took the car to the dealer recently (car was 1.5 years old) and had a very informative conversation with a tech there; he said the 3rd gear grind was common. He posed a solution under a TSB: a new, sturdier transmission mount and a side engine mount upgrade; it was all under warranty. I have not had the 3rd gear grind ever since (knock on wood)!

Go to your dealer NOW and complain about the 3rd gear grind because it's not that uncommon!!!! Demand a trans mount and a side engine mount!

Hope this helped!

Get used to it lost, it annoys the hell outta me. I have CS inserts and I still get it all the time.
Dectk! Good info i have like 2k miles left on warranty I'm gonna head inand see if I can get them to gimme upgrades.

My car does the same thing if I get really aggressive with it. Slow down that shift a little. I've even got a better engine mount and it still does it. Maybe a transmission mount would help?

Right after I bought the car, I installed an SU rear engine mount, but the 3rd gear grind kept coming back.

I took the car to the dealer recently (car was 1.5 years old) and had a very informative conversation with a tech there; he said the 3rd gear grind was common. He posed a solution under a TSB: a new, sturdier transmission mount and a side engine mount upgrade; it was all under warranty. I have not had the 3rd gear grind ever since (knock on wood)!

Go to your dealer NOW and complain about the 3rd gear grind because it's not that uncommon!!!! Demand a trans mount and a side engine mount!

Hope this helped!

Awesome, thank you. I've already made an appointment and made that note to them!

Deckt do you happen to know what the TSB was the tech refered to? It would help others go into the stealership with ammo.

Absolutely, especially if it's happening more often at higher RPMs. Could be that the previous driving history (grinding) has started wearing away at the efficiency of the synchros.

Just to help backup the OP. My car has exhibited the same behavior since it was new. Shifter base bushings and rear mount since 800 miles btw.

I have found that by using an open palm to move the shifter forward quickly and let the transmission find 3rd on it's own works a lot better than when I have an iron grip on the shifter and try to hammer it home where I feel 3rd should be.

Deckt do you happen to know what the TSB was the tech refered to? It would help others go into the stealership with ammo.

Sorry I don't have the TSB... the tech just took care of everything.

On my invoice, I have the following:

The tech said that my trans. was sagging and replacing the number 3 mount and number 4 mount solved the problem. Number 3 mount is the most problematic, according to him. Anyway, I boldfaced the important items. Hope this helps. I just formatted my laptop so I don't have the printer installed; therefore, I had to do this by hand. i checked the numbers three times, so all the numbers should be fine.

C** CUSTOMER STATES RATTLE IN RIGHT FRONT
CAUSE: MOUNT SAGGED - INTERNAL FAILURE

S0003XDX NOISE, VIBRATION AND HARSHNESS, DIAGNOSE NO CHARGE
815 WM 0.90

1 B37F-39-060D RUBBER NO. 3, ENG. MTG NO CHARGE

B0604XRX ENGINE MOUNT RUBBER NO. 3, R&R NO CHARGE
815 WM 0.70

FC: 0081009E
PART#: B37F39060D
COUNT: 1
CLAIM TYPE: A

D* CUSTOMER STATES TRANSMISSION GRINDS GOING INTO 3RD. GEAR
CAUSE: REPLACE #4 MOUNT PER TECH LINE REF. #616499

B0605XRX ENGINE MOUNT RUBBER NO. 4, R&R NO CHARGE
815 WM 0.80

1 B37F-39-070E RUBBER#4, ENG MTG. R/C NO CHARGE

FC: 0024009E
PART#: B37F39070E
COUNT: 1
CLAIM TYPE: A

Last edited:
C** CUSTOMER STATES RATTLE IN RIGHT FRONT
CAUSE: MOUNT SAGGED - INTERNAL FAILURE

When I went to the dealership, I DID NOT complain about a rattle in the right front nor had I noticed a rattle, but the tech said there was a rattle coming from it. So i just went with what he said. He said the rattle was due to a sagged mount.

Did a search, found that some P5's have this problem. When I'm pretty hard on the gas, and shift between 5-6k rpm, going into 3rd gear grinds. I have my foot planted on the clutch, so I know it's not me letting go of the clutch too early. This is happening more frequently now. Anyone else have this problem?

i don't think it's an equipment problem. yes, dect in this thread mentioned they got stuff replaced through warranty, but they also said that they had the issue from the get go, installed an aftermarket mount, and it still didn't help. So that means the car had beat mounts from the beginning? I doubt that, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE. it just would be a rare case.

anyway, back to what i think is going on with the OP

see this-
http://mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123696551

THEN this-
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3859873&postcount=36

note the dates...i got the car 1/08

Last edited:
Back