Loud rattling noise when starting engine

Jdizzle659

:
Mazdaspeed 3
When I start the car after letting it sit for a few minutes there is a very loud rattling noise from the engine. It sounds like it's coming from directly under the intercooler. If i start the car and it rattles, then turn it off and restart it then it won't do it. The car seems to run fine and i have no engine knock. Been monitering it with AP. Any ideas?

yeah i had this problem about a year ago, except mine only rattled for about 5 seconds then it quit. I must say though, the dealership took care of everything.... for once.

After searching numerous threads, I think this thread comes closest to what I am experiencing, except when I start the car, the rattling only lasts a second and then it stops. If I turn off the car and immediately turn in back on, the rattling is not heard. The rattling only happens after the car has been sitting for some time (maybe as little as a few minutes).

So my question is, could this be a VVT (Variable Valve Timing) Actuator problem?

Ok, so is it something that should be corrected ASAP?

Someone posted that there is a TSB for this problem. Does TSB stand for Technical Service Bulletin? If so, what exactly does that mean?

I'm not very savvy with car stuff, so any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

Yes TSB stands for technical service bullitin. This has been an issues with the L3 direct injection engine for possibly 4 years now? Mazda should offer out of warrenty assistance especially if it's on out of warranty by a short time/mileage.

Agreed.

For anyone wondering, the reason the VVT clanks for a few seconds at start up is the actuator housing has become damaged at the engagement pin, breaking and allowing the pin to drop, and in most cases, go right into the oil pan (Which makes replacing even more time consuming). New units have had this corrected by heat treating the surrounding area of the pin. The reason for the noise in general after sitting is due to the oil draining out of the VVTA. When starting, the oil pressure builds up, and it goes away. Your engine should not self destruct with this issue, just becomes a hindrance as its noisy and will cause erratic behavior such as hard starting and lack of power in the upper RPMs. This should still be addressed however!!

That is all.
......I claim no responsibility if anyone ends up having issues.

Well shoot! I am glad I searched........ hint hint to people that dont bother to.....

I have this exact same problem and the dealer told me it was the tensioner to the timing belt. Well MS3 is still under warranty and I didn't pay a dime so they replaced my belt and idler. Well after all said and done the noise is still there but comes on ever so often at start up and a bit afterwards. I am going to take her back so they can check up on this TSB.
They were close at diagnosing the location of the problem but what scares me is dont they have all the TSB's for thier own cars they sell at thier own shops? Sometimes I wonder about them.....

Update ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well the guy that spoke to me was wrong in telling me it was the tensioner and belt.

Took the car back as it still made the same noise but not as loud. I spoke to the actuall guy that worked on our Speed3. When he first worked on the MS3, he stated it was the VVT gear and he replaced that. Since he was there he went ahead and did the timing belt and tensioner. Awesome guy. I still get the noise every once and a while but not as loud but he said its probably the injectors( I call BS on that one ).

Well he told me that these engines are expected to make some noise when started up so go figure. Well I have Platinum protection on the MS3 so I have warranty until 2013 or 100K with maintenance for life.

Back