is getting sponsored a good thing or a bad thing,

Doesn't really work that way. Unless you already have connections to get sponsored you already have to have a nicely modded car. Even then im sure you will get better prices but you still have to pay for your parts. Depending on the company that sponsors you . . . they would probably dyno / tune your car for free. Of course in exchange for a lot of your time. Thats just what ive gathered but im no expert.

on the sponsor side of things, why would i want to pay to have someone's car done up in the first place? to get your company noticed

how would a sponsor go about doing that? advertise all over your car. so basically the appearance of your car would no longer be under your control. and if you ever worried about dealer stickers before you might not want to be sponsored

also from the sponsor point of view, when would they want you to be noticed and in front of what crowd? this would mean that you'd either have to be driving around a course racing others or a popular drag strip or whatever. also, you might have to just go out and drive in certain areas for a certain amount of time and stop at events to talk about your car and the company you would inherently be representing

i don't think it's a good deal, unless you want to sign your livelyhood away. that's just my opinion and im really just basing that off of pure thought and no experiences whatsoever

well I know that it's not the same, but I skateboard and am sponsored by companies. The idea is that in exchange for free products and support, I get their name out there, everyone sees something or someone really good and says well if they're really good, what they use must be really good, and BAM! instant sales for the companies sponsoring you, sort of the same thing with the car companies.

Only difference is that skateboards / clothes / shoes are a few hundred bucks. Car parts / tuning is a bit more expensive :).

well I know that it's not the same, but I skateboard and am sponsored by companies. The idea is that in exchange for free products and support, I get their name out there, everyone sees something or someone really good and says well if they're really good, what they use must be really good, and BAM! instant sales for the companies sponsoring you, sort of the same thing with the car companies.

Strobe Media has it right. Car companies such as COBB and CPE or whoever can spend money on ads and have really nice websites to attract attention, but when it comes down to it, what's going to sell is hearing it from a real persons mouth, and seeing it on the car. Hell I wasn't sold on the Cobb SRI until I saw a video of it on youtube, lol. So I'm sure they have worked into their quarterly budgets a certain percentage dedicated simply to sponsorship sort of things. Whether it's paying a professional to put a Hood Sticker on his car so it's seen on TV, or giving the middle aged do it yourself-er a 20% discount on their parts as long as he goes to X amount of shows/meets. It's different for each.

being sponsored means you HAVE to go to the shows they tell you to go to. weather your free or not you must take the car there. its good with discount prices and if you dont mind traveling around its all good. but going to show after show can drain anyone real fast. i knew a guy who was sponsored and he wasn't too crazy about it due to the fact that if they say go to new york (and he lives in boston) he cant say no

Back