MSP 2731 Goes Forged

MSP 2731

R.I.P. Soulja Slim
:
2003.5 Laser Blue Mazdaspeed Protege
Well my car is almost all put back together so it seems like the time to document the journey she has been on. It started many moons ago in the later half of 2007 when I had my intake mani Jet-Hot coated. Some of the coating clogged the vacuum nipple that I was running my wastegate off of which caused my car to over boost like crazy (almost hit 20 psi the first time I drove it after the mani install which felt amazing till I hit fuel cut..) and I ended up bending a rod before I figured out the problem. I started it up one morning and heard a knocking coming from the engine and had it towed straight to the shop. That was the last time she was running. I never planned on forging my motor but figured I could either, replace the bent rod with another stock one and hope I didn’t bend another one or worse in the future or I could go forged and not worry about bending any more rods. So for most of 2008 I accumulated parts and sometime around the end of the year sent the motor off to the machine shop. I got it back a couple months later and have been putting the girl back together slowly but surely ever since. BIG THANKS to JDM Sam for the rods, pistons, all the other goodies and awesome support! Now for my favorite part of any thread, the pictures!!

Parts
Kristenscamera164.jpg

Kristenscamera162.jpg

Kristenscamera161.jpg

Kristenscamera160.jpg

enginebuildparts007.jpg

Motor comes back from the machine shop
1238165990.jpg

Exedy stage 1 clutch & Fidanza lightweight flywheel
1238165933.jpg

Medieval lightweight pulleys
1239197008.jpg

Putting her back together begins…
1239290897.jpg

Motor goes up…
1239290655.jpg

…then comes down
1239290688.jpg

Motor back in with Steedspeed turbo manifold, Street Unit transmission mount & Medieval side engine mount
1239369238.jpg

Turbolife FMIC, dropped on Eibach Sportlines, hood comes back from the paint shop & lights sent off to get tinted
FMIC002.jpg

FMIC003.jpg

FMIC004.jpg

Lights come back from getting tinted, vacuum lines hooked back up, Xcelerated Concepts trunk painted
almostdone002.jpg

almostdone003.jpg

almostdone006.jpg

This is the first time I’ve ever had a motor forged and is the most work I’ve ever done to a car. We have a couple more lose ends to tie up before firing her up but I’m hoping to do so within the next week. It has been so long since I drove her I don’t even remember what it felt like which wont really matter since it is going to feel like a completely different car after all this anyways… So any comments, advice, questions, criticism are welcomed. I will be selling all the parts I took off so let me know if you need anything. I will be creating a for sale thread once I get all the parts cleaned up. And thanks to everyone here on the forum that has helped me get this far!

Here is my mods list so far:

505zoom intake manifold (Thanks 505zoom)
GT2860RS aka disco potato (Thanks Bala)
K1 rods (Thanks JDM Sam)
Wiseco pistons (Thanks JDM Sam)
Cometic head gasket (Thanks JDM Sam)
ARP main and head studs (Thanks JDM Sam)
Clevite bearings (Thanks JDM Sam)
Jet-Hot coated Injen CAI
Turbolife FMIC
Steedspeed turbo manifold
Perrin fuel rail (Thanks Bala)
WRX 440 cc injectors
Boostscience RDV
Vibrant 3” turbo back exhaust (Thanks Terbow)
Corksport S pipe ceramic coated by Swain Tech (Thanks dstmsp03)
Exedy stage 1 clutch (Thanks livelyjay)
Fidanza lightweight flywheel (Thanks Kooldino)
AXR clunk fix brackets (Thanks Evolv)
Silicone vacuum lines
MAM vacuum block
AWR front and rear engine mounts
AWR side engine mount
Street Unit transmission mount
Medieval light weight pulleys (WP, Alt, PS, Crank)
Goodridge braided brake line
Corksport braided clutch line
TWM short shifter
Kartboy shifter bushings
Kartboy exhaust hanger bushings
Samco radiator hose
Stoptech Slotted Black E-Coated Rotors (Thanks Tri-Point)
Axxis Deluxe Plus Pads (Thanks Tri-Point)
G2 painted blue calipers
Blacked out badge (Thanks Street Unit)
Blacked out lights (Thanks Jon's Tinted Tails)
Window tint 20 something %
Millenia PCV valve
Mazdaspeed 1.8 bar radiator cap (Thanks Concept MSP)
Greddy full auto turbo timer
Greddy spec II EBC (Thanks 540James)
MAM gauge rings
Production # badges and stickers (Thanks Slotege and Spaz Chicken)
Mryellowmp5 dual gauge bezel
Autometer ultra lite boost gauge
Autometer ultra lite wideband A/F gauge (Thanks ProtoType5)
Autometer oil pressure gauge
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
NRG hood dampers
ACS Composite ram air hood
Xcelerated Concepts fiberglass trunk
Canadian EGR (Thanks bradboyd80)
Custom powder coated valve cover w/ cam cut out (Thanks ForceFed)
Apexcone Raptor HID's (Thanks DDM Tuning)
AWR oil pan (Thanks dragonballspeed)
Mishimoto radiator (Thanks MP3racer)
Custom adjustable cam gears by Focus (Thanks fatti03msp)
Custom oil catch can (Thanks Signature Sound)
Custom coolant can (Thanks Signature Sound)
Spal slim fans (Thanks JDM Sam)
Oil pump serviced by Doc B

Waiting to be installed or should I sell...?:
J&S Safeguard (Thanks khaosman)
MPI

Did I forget anything or to thank anyone? What's next??

Last edited:
Great build "Rotary" lift FTMFW!!!! Even the car lift screams Mazda!!!!

You need a Haltech Platinum 1000 Standalone ECU ....

Do I now? Haltech was on my list of possible routes to go but I currently have my eye on a certain MicroTech... If that doesn't work out then I will put more thought and research into the best EMS solution for my needs. Thanks for the advice, why do you suggest that one?

Great build "Rotary" lift FTMFW!!!! Even the car lift screams Mazda!!!!

Thanks and I figured when in Rome...

sounds gude.

Thanks

Do I now? Haltech was on my list of possible routes to go but I currently have my eye on a certain MicroTech... If that doesn't work out then I will put more thought and research into the best EMS solution for my needs. Thanks for the advice, why do you suggest that one?

Because its the newest EMS on the market, and If you buy it from JDMsam (*************.com) He can wire it for you that its just plug and play into your stock harness! so no wire splicing! :D and Like I said before, the 1000 is the newest EMS out on the market ATM, and newer they improve things. Its a GREAT Unit!

(the plug and play thing would be 2000$+ plus though, but soooo worth it!)

Because its the newest EMS on the market, and If you buy it from JDMsam (*************.com) He can wire it for you that its just plug and play into your stock harness! so no wire splicing! :D and Like I said before, the 1000 is the newest EMS out on the market ATM, and newer they improve things. Its a GREAT Unit!

(the plug and play thing would be 2000$+ plus though, but soooo worth it!)

Sam is the man, I hit him up about that E6X he is selling but as I mentioned I'm currently leaning towards a certain MicroTech. A lot is to be said about the latest and greatest and if I do go Haltech I will be getting it through Sam and going the plug and play route but that 1000 with the P&P option would be soooo expensive...

Haltech Platinum 1000 Standalone ECU is about 1500$

ECU/PCM Extension Harness is about 225$

thats 1725$ just for that, sam quoted me 2000$ for those two things all wired up and ready to run :) so to me, not a bad deal AT ALL! :D He can prob. do the same to the E6X aswell, which is going to be like 400$ cheaper cause its only 1100$ for that ECU

Haltech Platinum 1000 Standalone ECU is about 1500$

ECU/PCM Extension Harness is about 225$

thats 1725$ just for that, sam quoted me 2000$ for those two things all wired up and ready to run :) so to me, not a bad deal AT ALL! :D He can prob. do the same to the E6X aswell, which is going to be like 400$ cheaper cause its only 1100$ for that ECU

He is selling a used E6X right now so it could be even cheaper... But I can't even afford that one at the moment since I've spent so much on everything below. It will be at least another month or two before I will be ready to buy a new EMS. Till then the SS AFC will have to do.

Man just go for MegaSquirtII v3 or just wait a bit and get the new MegaSquirtIII , this thing is getting much better and capable just like any brand name out there.
It has an adv. as it allowes you to do what you want with it and if your genious enough you could make your own custom module.

I'm already trying MSII V3 and looks like a hassle at the begining but just like any other brand name out there is not easy in the begining.

Did I mention its dirt cheap compare to brand name units ?

BTW - what CR are your pistons and what would be your max-boost ?

Man just go for MegaSquirtII v3 or just wait a bit and get the new MegaSquirtIII , this thing is getting much better and capable just like any brand name out there.
It has an adv. as it allowes you to do what you want with it and if your genious enough you could make your own custom module.

I'm already trying MSII V3 and looks like a hassle at the begining but just like any other brand name out there is not easy in the begining.

Did I mention its dirt cheap compare to brand name units ?

BTW - what CR are your pistons and what would be your max-boost ?

Another choice to consider...Can you point me to where I can do some research on this MegaSquirt? How cheap is dirt cheap? I can tell you I'm not genious enough to make my own custom module so that is not a selling point for me.

Stock CR 9.1 to 1 and I have not really thought about max boost yet. I guess I will start around 10-12 psi and see how that feels. I will probably go higher but want to also stay safe. Ideally I don't want to break anything in the tranny...

That's a serious build man, you accumulated a lot of good parts. I'd throw a gt28rs on there since you're blowing your wad already.... And yes, MegaSquirt is a really capable and adaptable EMS system, I would not rule it out. s***, have fun with that car man.

MegaSquirt can be purchased already build by the dedicated dealers and all they need is the info about the car.

go to megasquirt dot org , read about megasquirtII V3 .

Its not specific EMS so all the data/info are general , but thats if your soldering yourself like I did.
Check this out as well : http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm#ew

Their software is free as well, just need to read on how to use it , if you want the dealer can load it up with the latest software version and code upon your request.

I got my stuff through diyautotune dot com , you can mention I send you his way since we share same car which isn't known as much in MS scene as MIATA's .

Bottom line is do a reading and if you think you can handle the hassle then go for it.

As for price check the place i mentioned above and see for yoursef , theres 2 versions V3- which is assembled by hand and V3.5 - which is assembled by computer.

I can tell you that have not ever used a megasquirt unit but all the guys on my suzuki samurai and suzuki swift sites live by these EMS's . Once I get the Swift GT motor installed in my samurai I'll be boosting it with my extra t25 and run a megasquirt EMS

nice build. just dont like the crank pulley. even though the engine is balanced, i prefer to keep the factory harmonic damper there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back