I noticed quite a few people with relocated MAFS...Why?

+1.

Here is why, if you take a look at the intake stream, the stock location of the MAF is infront of the BPV (By-Pass valve). Not a big deal if you are running a stock (or close to stock) set up.
Should you choose to change to some hardpipes and a BOV (Blow-Off valve), then their is a problem. The MAF (in the stock location) will take in readings of how much air is passing into the IM (Intake Mani) and adjust enough fuel for the air. When the BOV open the car will loss all of the air in the intake stream, however the MAF doesnt know about it so it send the same amout of fuel. Without enough air to compensate your car will bog and stall.

Moving the MAF behind the BOV solves all the problems. Some people also claim that the car runs nicer with it relocated. Not sure about this one.

Anyways, that is my understanding, if im wrong someone can correct me.

To add to this, it's not a must to relocate the MAF if you're running hard pipes and a blow off valve, but you will have to recirculate the air from the BOV to the intake instead of venting it to ATM if you don't relocate.

Yup, thanks for the clarification. That is what i meant when i said "Close to stock setups"
your explanation is more clear.

Ahhh I gotcha! So relocating it keep the MAF readings to get all screwed up when using a BOV unless you have a BPV. Cool, got it, thanks guys! Though I do wanna know more about the car running nicer with a relocated MAF; I think im gunna post another thread about it.

My car runs better with my MAF relocated and having a BOV setup, but If you get a BOV, and dont relocate your MAF, you will stall out.

I think what he mean is if you run a BPV and relocate the MAF people claime the car runs nicer. Is there any truth to this?

I cant be sure. Theoretically i would say yes. Just because the MAF is located very far from the IM, and even tho the AIR is not "lost" by the BPV is is taking longer to get to its destination. Maybe the ECU doesnt take that into consideration. If the MAF is 6-8 inches away from the IM, the reading might me more precise, and could lead to a nicer running car.

But to be honest, i pulled that outta my ass.

I think what he mean is if you run a BPV and relocate the MAF people claime the car runs nicer. Is there any truth to this?

I cant be sure. Theoretically i would say yes. Just because the MAF is located very far from the IM, and even tho the AIR is not "lost" by the BPV is is taking longer to get to its destination. Maybe the ECU doesnt take that into consideration. If the MAF is 6-8 inches away from the IM, the reading might me more precise, and could lead to a nicer running car.

But to be honest, i pulled that outta my ass.

Hmm thats actually a pretty darn good theory, I mean it makes sense. Lets say it your theory does hold true, then a simple ecu reprograming should adjust that like the split second AFC. Not bad vuz its on my shopping list....too bad im broke tho :(

Having a relocated MAF will ALSO allow you to drive home NA if you blow a coupler. This is a big advantage. You'll get home, just with no turbo power.

Having a relocated MAF will ALSO allow you to drive home NA if you blow a coupler. This is a big advantage. You'll get home, just with no turbo power.

LoL.. so true. Had that happen a good 5 times or so when I had the P5-T. I get on the gas and it's like pffffft.. no power. WTF? Oh, coupler blew off.. that's nice.

car runs more like stock to me with the relocated maf. I mean stock p5. When i turbo'd i got a lot of throttle hesitation, meaning it felt like it took another second to go (less boggy feeling) But now i got my stock driveability back, no hesitating, runs like an n/a. Of course thats before the good stuff

Back