Pulling at speed

5zoom

:
08 Mazda5
I have an 08 5AT that I just put tires on and had an alignment done shortly afterwords. I had the alignment done because I noticed a slight pull to the right at speeds above 60mph. The alignment showed my van was mostly in spec and the only thing they adjusted was the toe, which was the only thing out of spec. I have checked all my tire pressures and I've tested it on a few different roads. Any ideas? It feels like its pulling a little from the rear. I have had zero tire wear issues, as I got over 31k out of the original Toyos and I replaced them with Yokahama YK520s of the same size. I'm still getting the pull.

In my opinion this is the akilis heel of the Mazda5. The alignment/camber/toe/tirewear problems seem to creep back into everyone's lives. Part of the BS you get when not buying a boring Toyota I guess.

My car was pulling as well and I got 2 four-wheel alignments to correct the problem but both times the mechanic said the car was exactly spec. So I told him it must be the steering then because I have to compensate to the left slightly to keep the car tracking strait. Not too annoying around town but once you get on the highway for 5 hours it's a total drag. They DID eventually fix the steering so everything was tracking strait and the wheel was lined up perfectly....but then my front tires started to wear quicker. My first thought was uh-oh, they just changed the toe. So I'm about to buy some new tires and see how they wear the first couple of months.

In fairness I did take my car to a near-by curvy road shortly after getting it back...and drove the daylights out of it, squeeling virtually every corner. Did it more than once too.

Road crown? Does it pull to the right when you are in the left lane? If not, you need more cross caster.

How to get it is another story. Not much adjustment is available.

Last edited:
Check the road crown possibility. I don't recall off-hand whether Mazda specs some cross caster to counteract road crown or not.

If that's not it, try rotating the tires. You may have to do this a number of times. You might (or might not) find that the pull follows a certain tire. For example, perhaps a certain tire will cause the vehicle to pull right when it's on the right front, and left when it's on the left front. It might still cause some pull when it's at one or both of the rear positions, but much less than when it's up front. This is an indication of a bad tire (separating belt). You should be able to get it replaced. Sometimes, the tire in question will fail suddenly on the highway. Not always, though. Sometimes it'll just pull through its whole life.

Good luck!

Back