Bad coil packs??

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - Dark Silver
Ok so I normally don't post here because my car is definetly not close to stock and hard to diagnose but I'm at a total loss.

Just last week got a dyno tune on my haltech sport 1000 standalone. Car was running great all week on 20 psi then today...... well I mean it idles fine, drives fine but as soon as I'm in boost it sounds like it's missing like crazy. Just stops dead in it's tracks and sputters. Sounds like a lawn mower or whatever.

Could this be the coil packs or when they go bad do they act bad all the time not just in boost.

I did all the checks on the Haltech, checked my map sensor was working good and the map was reading right etc. Reloaded the dyno tune a few times. Checked my plugs and injectors. I'm at a total loss.

Car has pretty much nothing stock as far as sensors and solenoids go, no MAF, EGR, O2, etc. All the car runs off is the crank/ cam sensors and it was working fine before. Any ideas would be awesome.

im going to try the 1.8l coil pack or is the msd coil pack better becuase when im driveing i can feel it missing. I bought a new egr thought it was that but it still surges while i drive. I has to be the coils -24 on the boost gauge no leaks. but still feel it haveing a hard time staying steady.

i had the same issue a while ago...repleced both coil packs....problem solved.....they tend to fail due to temp....you can try the 1.8 conversion....and i dont know the specifications of the MSD ones

i had the same issue a while ago...repleced both coil packs....problem solved.....they tend to fail due to temp....you can try the 1.8 conversion....and i dont know the specifications of the MSD ones

I'm working now but as soon as i get a chance at the end of the week i will try new coils and see how it goes. I actually picked up the 1.8 coil packs and the bracket from a junk yard a while back just to have them but I don't know if I'd trust junk yard coils haha. I can't even use the bracket cause my wastegate is in the way.

I think I'll rig something up and try the 1.8 ones....... but brand new ones...... :D

Hopefully that will fix it, it's a very strange problem and very frustrating to have the car off the road AGAIN after just a week ago getting it back on the road after a year of not driving it :(

ya it would be nice to find out how it goes I got my eyes on a set right now but no money. My actuater is acting up to no boost right now but I take it as a blessing I dont think that I want to be boosting and missfireing at the same time. I also heard that you have to modify the wires that go to the spark plugs because they dont reach is this true and what do you do just shave the outer part of the boot so you can push it down?

well it's a brand new walbro put in last week so I'd say the pump is good. I ordered all brand new 1.8L coils and 8mm wires. Hopefully that will fix me up.

id say check your fuel pump maybe and deffinatley check ur coils and also your wires cuz my wires were ****** too not only my coils when mine was misfiring and also dont buy your stuff off protege garage cuz you wont get your order or it might take 3 months and they might end up just keeping ur money

Back