Engine mount leak??

Can anyone ID what that fluid leak is?? Does out engine mount have fluids inside?? also what parts is need to repair, and how hard is it??

Attachments

• DSC02448.JPG
    DSC02448.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 2,061
I'll just replace it with OEM, cause it's just my DD. So i order the $105 side mount right? does it comes like as a whole set, or it's just the inserts??
also how do i install this side mount??

Attachments

• tn_IMG_5391.JPG
    tn_IMG_5391.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,267
To my knowledge, the engine mount does NOT have fluid in it. It's just a rubber insert. The inserts that Psylence has linked to are inserts to replace the soft stock rubber with harder urethane ones.

I have some extreme rusting in this exact location, and I've never been able to figure out why. Maybe there is fluid in there, but it's news to me.

x2 these mounts are not fluid mounts, remember these are proteges, not m'benz's

id say the fluid is leaking from the powersteering fluid resi that is visible just over the mount in the picture, being that thats the only logical place it would leak from and end up in the same area

the mounts DO leak fluid. I'm not sure why some do and some don't, but I can tell you that I had mine, it was ripped, and it was leaking fluid. It was not the power steering fluid or anything else. It was the passenger mount, I'm 100% positive and have no question about it.

Its an 02 protege ES btw.

Maybe it was replaced before, I'm not sure, I bought the car @ 91k miles.

But I ordered a 120$ mount from some website, and i shook it, and notice it too had liquid inside it! It didn't come as just the insert, came as the entire mount.

Mine ripped because of a car accident, but they do start to rot after 100k miles.

To install:

unbolt engine mount and anything that might get in the way (some hoses were in the way for me).

Pry the engine toward the headlights (away from the rear, toward the front)
to take stress off the engine mount, take the ripped one out, and put the new one in. While keeping the engine pryed with a crowbar the entire time, bolt on the new motor mount.

Its a 2 person job.
You'll need a socket wrench with an extension to get to the bolts.

I've got the tools for the job and can help you if you feel like taking a drive to NJ. But you could probably find someone closer to NY.

Wow, this is news to me! If I could find my camera, I'd take a picture of how corrosive that liquid is. It's seriously rusted my wheel well there (just like the OP, only rusted). If I had to replace this mount, I'd certainly go with aftermarket to avoid this situation again (and for the performance gain).

Found the camera (yeah!)

Sorry it's a little blurry- it's hard to get a picture of that spot!

Attachments

• 100_3435.JPG
    100_3435.JPG
    829.7 KB · Views: 1,464
Wow, that looks bad. How long did you left the fluid there to cause this much damage?? guess i better clean mines up right away. also Thanks social for the tips on install. do you think a jack under the engine will work??

Found the camera (yeah!)

Sorry it's a little blurry- it's hard to get a picture of that spot!

after 100K?? my car only have 46K on it. It must be the NYC pot holes.
So i'm guessing the mount on OEM mazda @ $105 is also the entire set.
btw did your wheel well area also rusted cause of the fluid leak??

the mounts DO leak fluid. I'm not sure why some do and some don't, but I can tell you that I had mine, it was ripped, and it was leaking fluid. It was not the power steering fluid or anything else. It was the passenger mount, I'm 100% positive and have no question about it.

Its an 02 protege ES btw.

Maybe it was replaced before, I'm not sure, I bought the car @ 91k miles.

But I ordered a 120$ mount from some website, and i shook it, and notice it too had liquid inside it! It didn't come as just the insert, came as the entire mount.

Mine ripped because of a car accident, but they do start to rot after 100k miles.

My first thought was to put a floor jack under the engine, but there was a metal bar there that was in the way and I couldn't get the jack positioned in a way that could support the engine.
But a crowbar did do the trick.

And the liquid didn't rust anything (i think), I haven't seen any rust but I wasn't really looking for any.

I drove with the busted mount for about a month+
I replaced it about 3 months ago.
And the liquid is still there, eh I haven't gotten around to cleaning it up yet (encourage

I was thinking using floor jack+block of wood under the oil pan.
So to install just lift up engine,undo all bolts on mount, and replace with new. sounds right??

My first thought was to put a floor jack under the engine, but there was a metal bar there that was in the way and I couldn't get the jack positioned in a way that could support the engine.
But a crowbar did do the trick.

And the liquid didn't rust anything (i think), I haven't seen any rust but I wasn't really looking for any.

I drove with the busted mount for about a month+
I replaced it about 3 months ago.
And the liquid is still there, eh I haven't gotten around to cleaning it up yet (encourage

I have an 02 Protege ES with the same ripped mount and mine doesn't have any fluid leaking from it. I wonder if someone worked on your car previously and replaced the mount already...

I have an 02 Protege ES with the same ripped mount and mine doesn't have any fluid leaking from it. I wonder if someone worked on your car previously and replaced the mount already...

Its possible.

And that is right, just support the engine, unbolt, put the new one on, rebolt.

And its ok if the engine sags a little bit. I didn't support the engine at all when I took the bolt off, I just crow-bared it back into place after I got the old one off.

You still might need a crowbar, as my engine not only sagged downward but towards the rear as well. the other 3 mounts might pull it toward the rear and not just downward, so be prepared.

Wow, that looks bad. How long did you left the fluid there to cause this much damage?? guess i better clean mines up right away. also Thanks social for the tips on install. do you think a jack under the engine will work??

I'm not under the hood that often. Every 3000miles or so... I really didn't notice it for quite some time.

I was thinking using floor jack+block of wood under the oil pan.
So to install just lift up engine,undo all bolts on mount, and replace with new. sounds right??
ding ding ding!

that is the CORRECT way to do it! no need to waste time or sweat your ass off with no crowbar s***!

the MSP mount is an upgrade if you drive a stick

Dammit TheMAN. I love you and hate you at the same time. The former happens more when I'm drunk though.

Back