2002.5 ES to MSP Conversion

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege ES
Recently decided to keep my 2002.5 ES (with 140k miles) as a 'project car' when I buy my new vehicle this winter, and wanted to have some fun with it.

Happening this week or next (parts here, just have to find the time):
->New shocks springs (Tokico HPA kit)
->New urethane bump stops
->Corksport front and rear strut tower bars
->21.5 mm rear anti-sway bar (AWR, I think?)
->some maintenance items (EGR, timing belt, etc.)

On order
->Kosei TS1 lightweight 17" with BFG tires

Next month probably going to add a high flow exhaust. But here's where I'm getting to my Forced Induction question:

My thought is that I can't really get any appreciable power gains from this car without turbo-charging it. From what I can tell, with bolt-ons and maybe some head work, I could eek out maybe an extra 30-45 whp, which, frankly for the hassle, isn't worth it to me.

So, I've looked around for a turn-key turbo kit. Done some reading here, and other sites, and it just doesn't look like there's a good, factory-like turbo-kit that doesn't require a ton of sorting out to work properly.

So my next thought was: why not do an engine swap with a MSP -- except, wrecked MSP drivetrains appear difficult to come by (unless someone here can point me in the right direction). So, in the absence of a drivetrain swap, my next thought was: buy all of the necessary hardware and do it as a bolt-on upgrade to my car.

Is this do-able? When it comes to modifications such as this, I'm really not a "theoretical" kinda'. What I'd like to do is find someone who has actually DONE this so they can advise how tough it was, home much it cost, etc.

In reality, what I'd like to do is to do an "upgraded" version of the MSP Protege -- that is, do the conversion using not all stock MSP parts, up-grading the parts that most folks who own MSPs up-grade on their vehicle.

Thoughts? Is there a good thread or tuner shop who can advise in this scenario?

And yes, I've done a quick search or two, but man, there's so much information out there that it's hard to figure out what's relevant and what's not. Any help appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

d

Last edited:
Welcome!

Just FYI, the engine in your car is the same as that in the MSP. So, it'd be more hassle than it's worth to put a MSP motor in. Just swap all the MSP parts over to your car

Why not sell your car and buy a Mazdaspeed? It'll be easier. lol

Welcome!!! (but mine is more forceful than Pro5x2's)

check out the Authorized Vendors list, they have a lot of knowledge and can supply you with the required parts.

Also, people will sell entire turbo setups in the "For Sale" section... gotta watch for those.

Where are you? If you need help there are forum members all over, check my sig (and while your at it, go ahead and add yourself)

He's been a member for longer that either of us... I just might edit out a couple exclamation points.

Welcome!

Just FYI, the engine in your car is the same as that in the MSP. So, it'd be more hassle than it's worth to put a MSP motor in. Just swap all the MSP parts over to your car

Why not sell your car and buy a Mazdaspeed? It'll be easier. lol

Yeah, I was pretty sure the motors were similar, but didn't know they were identical. You know, I keep asking myself that question, it sure would be easier to buy a used MSP, but you know what? Call me crazy, there's something gratifying (to me) about taking a car you already own and tuning it, you know? Maybe that's just me though. I also like the idea of doing this a bit at a time.

Breeegz: thanks for the tip, will check that out. I'm located in Central Ohio, btw.

Also, of the Authorized Vendors: any recommendations as to which ones to contact for such a parts list/conversion?

Ken from Protege Garage is awesome. He's also not too far from you, being in So. Illinois.

He's the top poster on the forum, check his profile out on the main page, or check out the Protege Garage section in the forums. All the others are respected tuners too, if they jerked us around or had shoddy products they risk losing the AV status...

Where exactly in central OH are you? I'm doing my MSP turbo install on my P5 in a few weeks so I'll have some experience when it comes to all that stuff.

Yeah, I was pretty sure the motors were similar, but didn't know they were identical. You know, I keep asking myself that question, it sure would be easier to buy a used MSP, but you know what? Call me crazy, there's something gratifying (to me) about taking a car you already own and tuning it, you know? Maybe that's just me though. I also like the idea of doing this a bit at a time.

Breeegz: thanks for the tip, will check that out. I'm located in Central Ohio, btw.

Also, of the Authorized Vendors: any recommendations as to which ones to contact for such a parts list/conversion?

I totally understand the want to make something out of what you currently have!!

Just throwing that idea out was all. lol

Whichever you decide, make it yours! You'll never hear me bash on someone else's tastes. To each his own!

Just keep us posted with what you decide! Can never have too many boosted ES's!

Recently decided to keep my 2002.5 ES (with 140k miles) as a 'project car' when I buy my new vehicle this winter, and wanted to have some fun with it.

Happening this week or next (parts here, just have to find the time):
->New shocks springs (Tokico HPA kit)
->New urethane bump stops
->Corksport front and rear strut tower bars
->21.5 mm rear anti-sway bar (AWR, I think?)
->some maintenance items (EGR, timing belt, etc.)

On order
->Kosei TS1 lightweight 17" with BFG tires

Next month probably going to add a high flow exhaust. But here's where I'm getting to my Forced Induction question:

My thought is that I can't really get any appreciable power gains from this car without turbo-charging it. From what I can tell, with bolt-ons and maybe some head work, I could eek out maybe an extra 30-45 whp, which, frankly for the hassle, isn't worth it to me.

So, I've looked around for a turn-key turbo kit. Done some reading here, and other sites, and it just doesn't look like there's a good, factory-like turbo-kit that doesn't require a ton of sorting out to work properly.

So my next thought was: why not do an engine swap with a MSP -- except, wrecked MSP drivetrains appear difficult to come by (unless someone here can point me in the right direction). So, in the absence of a drivetrain swap, my next thought was: buy all of the necessary hardware and do it as a bolt-on upgrade to my car.

Is this do-able? When it comes to modifications such as this, I'm really not a "theoretical" kinda'. What I'd like to do is find someone who has actually DONE this so they can advise how tough it was, home much it cost, etc.

In reality, what I'd like to do is to do an "upgraded" version of the MSP Protege -- that is, do the conversion using not all stock MSP parts, up-grading the parts that most folks who own MSPs up-grade on their vehicle.

Thoughts? Is there a good thread or tuner shop who can advise in this scenario?

And yes, I've done a quick search or two, but man, there's so much information out there that it's hard to figure out what's relevant and what's not. Any help appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

d
too late... I already did it

Back