'03 P5 - advice for buying?

jcbtv

Hi All -

New to the forums here. I've been looking for a P5 (or 3 wagon when I can afford it) for a long time. Recently found a 2003 Protege 5 113k 5sp for $5500. I'm checking it out next week, and was hoping to get some advice of what to look for in terms of problems with that model/year..

Timing belt is done. Brakes are new. Some rust in the wheelwells.

Are there any specific things I should look for?

Many thanks in advance!

( i did search the forums, but couldn't find other posts like this - if you know of others, could you send the link?)

looks like the big expense (belt) is done, yup some rust...bout it...i have an 02 with 137k no issues to speak of....price seems a tad hig for that mileage...not bad though

idk about the price. mine i paid 7600 out the door with tag, title, and plates. only with 81k

It has some rust (probably not much but RUST IS RUST), belt is shot so thats a hit to ur pocket aswell, and its over 110k so i would look that up aswell, try kellybluebook.com kbb.com for short. just put in market value in fair condition, and trade in value in fair. go from that.

check the motor mounts, as these tend to go bad and rot out around 100k miles.

And get that price down. are you buying from a dealer?

what to look for in terms of problems with that model/year..
Problems? With a mazda? GTFO (doughpoke

btw I paid 4700 for mine, timing belt etc. done. 91k miles, no rust

Where are you from?

Thanks everyone. That P5 was junk - all rusted and tuned out. Looking at another P5 tonight with 43K $7000....will check for engine mounts, recalls, rust, but I'm guessing not much else will be wrong with this low mileage car. We'll see....

i think you'd better search for something with low mileage.. i just got a p5 stick with 66000 miles for only $6000, perfect condition and nice shape.. so i suggest you keep looking, good luck!!

Back