What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

No, just Koni yellows with stock springs. After lowering my last three dd cars I'm leaving the 5 tall and proud lol. Changing out the struts isnt really that hard a job, I just proceed with caution on any job I have never done before on any particular car. Does anyone know why the stock front swaybar bushings are so hard to find in stock at Vato-zone type places? I was thinking I would just bop on over to Advance mid job and snag a pair, but guess what? Not gonna happen.....:p

Been really busy at work recently (and at home, too) so i haven't been on this forum in a while. The turbo tuning is coming along, making ~4psi currently while I wait for a new file from the tuner to enable use of larger injectors (stock injectors are "maxed out" at 86, 88% duty cycle) so I can add more boost.

I installed the base for the infant car seat last night: #2 is due in ~4 weeks, getting ready for the inevitable trip to the hospital...

Been really busy at work recently (and at home, too) so i haven't been on this forum in a while. The turbo tuning is coming along, making ~4psi currently while I wait for a new file from the tuner to enable use of larger injectors (stock injectors are "maxed out" at 86, 88% duty cycle) so I can add more boost.

I installed the base for the infant car seat last night: #2 is due in ~4 weeks, getting ready for the inevitable trip to the hospital...
Congrats on both accounts (second child on the way and tuning progress). How does it feel with 4psi boost? Does it please the butt dyno, or just make you itch to go higher? I'm impressed you took this on with a pregnant wife to contend with, I would have never had the cojones.

Xb35.

myje2ave.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

4psi is a noticeable difference, but yes - I am anxiously anticipating more.

I am in the process of turboing my 5. I just installed a tranny cooler and wideband A/F gauge yesterday.

Are you running 4 psi on a totally stock fuel management? ECU, injectors, fuel pump, etc. Eventually I am getting a tuned ecu from dynotronics but I was wondering if the stock system would hold any boost safely.

Here are a couple pics of my new tranny cooler. Used a remote mounting that will catch air flow through the area where the flood lights would be.
IMAG0541.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0551.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I am in the process of turboing my 5. I just installed a tranny cooler and wideband A/F gauge yesterday.

Are you running 4 psi on a totally stock fuel management? ECU, injectors, fuel pump, etc. Eventually I am getting a tuned ecu from dynotronics but I was wondering if the stock system would hold any boost safely.

ECU is flashed by DT, injectors will be 550cc, stock fuel pump (reports are it is good up to about 300whp, though I will continue to keep an eye on fuel pressure and inj duty cycle to monitor the pump). 4psi is apparently "too much" to run on stock injectors, as I regularly see duty cycles over 86% at max (80% is the highest I want to see regularly).

What are the details of the turbo setup that you have in mind?

I'm not an expert on oil coolers, but I do know that for an engine oil cooler, that orientation (both lines down) is not good because the oil will drain and then have to refill the cooler to repressurize the oil system at start up. Not sure if the same thinking applies for transmission coolers.

Last edited:
ECU is flashed by DT, injectors will be 550cc, stock fuel pump (reports are it is good up to about 300whp, though I will continue to keep an eye on fuel pressure and inj duty cycle to monitor the pump). 4psi is apparently "too much" to run on stock injectors, as I regularly see duty cycles over 86% at max (80% is the highest I want to see regularly).

What are the details of the turbo setup that you have in mind?

I'm not an expert on oil coolers, but I do know that for an engine oil cooler, that orientation (both lines down) is not good because the oil will drain and then have to refill the cooler to repressurize the oil system at start up. Not sure if the same thinking applies for transmission coolers.

Interesting thought about the cooler orientation, thanks. Shouldn't be hard to flip it over.

I am actually trying to do a top mount intercooled with gt25. I want a small and responsive setup with about 7-8 psi. If I can get 225 hp at the wheels I'll be happy.

I am still looking for a manifold and downpipe. Are the mazdaspeed 3 manifolds a direct fit for the 2.5L?

Interesting thought about the cooler orientation, thanks. Shouldn't be hard to flip it over.

I am actually trying to do a top mount intercooled with gt25. I want a small and responsive setup with about 7-8 psi. If I can get 225 hp at the wheels I'll be happy.

I am still looking for a manifold and downpipe. Are the mazdaspeed 3 manifolds a direct fit for the 2.5L?
Why not just get a k04?

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

I don't think you'll be able to do a top mount, even with a smaller turbo, the cowl in the mz5 comes up and over the engine much further and closer than in the mz/ms3.

edit: I just re-read your post, did you mean top-mount turbo or top-mount IC? If IC, why? the only advantage really is less volume in the intake tract (throttle response), but my throttle response is excellent with 2" tubing and FMIC. Well, TMIC is a lot easier to manufacture for the factory.

I am using an ms3 manifold and DP, so I'd say, "yes".

Why not just get a k04?

They spool too quick and make too much low-end torque for our spindly NA con rods.

Last edited:
Real men don't read instructions (else he would have seen this pitfall in the manual) :p

Oil is oil and a cooler is a cooler. They do the same thing and work the same way.

Instructions, what's that?

I like top mount IC setups because I love the hood scoop look, better throttle response as you mentioned, you don't have pipes running all over, and you don't have to take the bumper off every time you want to make changes. I have done a few custom turbo projects, all TMIC. If it turns out not to work, I can always change it to FMIC. Part of the fun for me doing a custom turbo project is the body work. I am working on a custom Mazda 5 hood now.

Here are some pics from my first gen protg project:

Drove it to work yesterday for the first time in ten days. New Konis are absolutely magnificent. Still need to get the front sway bar bushings done, but that will have to wait until after i get some firewood processed.

Just got done taking pictures/measuring/evaluating the DDM 55W HID kit. Report to follow in the next day or two.

Hi all, haven't been on in a while but replaced a factory fog light today, zip tied a loose ballast for the HID headlights, gave it a good wash a shined up the tires. Looking good today but no pics.

Latest posts

Back