What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Realigned and rebuilt my shifter assembly, and swapped the rubber shift mount bushings for a few washers epoxied together. This is no easy thing to get to on a 5 with a rear center console - some of those fasteners are in really awful places.

Anyway, it's never been quite right. Tore it apart and regreased it, tightened up the shifter mounts, replaced some rubber that was starting to perish (on the shift centering spring) and it seems vastly improved. Anyone who's having issues getting into 1/2/R regularly on a 6mt - there is a Mazda3 TSB that covers this exact problem (05-007/13, "HARD TO SHIFT INTO GEARS") and the fix is the same.

Ruby

2009 U.K. Mazda5 with OEM hood deflector and OEM style front lip from baysonr

20170515_221136_zps63unfrsa.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Replaced the passenger side motor mount for the 2nd time. Engine was vibrating like crazy after start up, when sitting in gear and, obviously, on acceleration. It didn't leak like you would expect. Comparing it to the new one, the center section of the bad one had settled about a 1/2" or so (looking at the gap between it and the top of the mount/brace). Quick test drive after install and all was smooth once more.

Reinstalled the Hella horns. I didn't do a good job the first time and one of the connections had come loose. I fixed that, moved some of the wiring around, and installed the relay that comes with them. Also replaced the in-cabin air filter at ~103k miles.

Not exactly today but in the passed 2 weekends. I got the 2nd row middle seat installed which was on my wanted list since day one.
7th%20seat%201_1.jpg

7th%20seat%202.jpg

7th%20seat%203.jpg

7th%20seat%204.jpg

7th%20seat%205.jpg

7th%20seat%206.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I got a pair of Mazdaspeed 3 seats. Today I was able to get the driver seat installed. It is SOOOOOOO much more comfortable to drive now.

Not exactly today but in the passed 2 weekends. I got the 2nd row middle seat installed which was on my wanted list since day one.
aIyfq3mRSBFGwag1cCGMM3R9oUoTRqghLEzS9pWZepM

cL_VZzu_M14gGT_JSXl84mPDbF8_9CxdeeCTeLMO3dU

WlKmxHalpyJ0B_OJiVpecvdQq-NhkHD_eui81cWU7ak

iZ9bI9OXR96u5DWrjHNzYtBeS_kth6k7b4xOhP41Vvo

c_JQzbFsb2JSJzLJuPkvIaA5bs8AY4D3E8AKrvfngf0

Gc6HE3LynMpGGb8d1mxOpKIigskdQGxCBDxk7yhBszs

How hard was the install? And can you repost the oics cuz i think the link is broke

Fixed the pics. The mod is not that hard.

The plastic tray has to be remove and trimmed to fit the hinge of the bottom piece. There is a line on the tray already. The hinge was riveted to the original seat base which has to be cut off and replaced with some bolts and nuts. The US seat base have those holes pre-drilled which is nice and installation is straight forward.

The back piece is a little different which involving swapping the frame of the back piece where the hinge and a "C" hook for the new seat welded on it. The original cover from the donor car has a zip going from the bottom all the way to the hook. Since the one from the donor car has a different pattern than mine and I would like to keep mine to match the rest of the seats. So fitting the frame with the "C" hook in the US ver, seat cover take a little bit effort. Once fitted into position. I cut the cover and the foam underneath to match the "C" hook and that's it.

Fixed the pics. The mod is not that hard.

The plastic tray has to be remove and trimmed to fit the hinge of the bottom piece. There is a line on the tray already. The hinge was riveted to the original seat base which has to be cut off and replaced with some bolts and nuts. The US seat base have those holes pre-drilled which is nice and installation is straight forward.

The back piece is a little different which involving swapping the frame of the back piece where the hinge and a "C" hook for the new seat welded on it. The original cover from the donor car has a zip going from the bottom all the way to the hook. Since the one from the donor car has a different pattern than mine and I would like to keep mine to match the rest of the seats. So fitting the frame with the "C" hook in the US ver, seat cover take a little bit effort. Once fitted into position. I cut the cover and the foam underneath to match the "C" hook and that's it.

More importantly, where did you source the parts and how much should you expect to pay for it?

I got them from a Junk yard in Hong Kong, Kam Tin to be more specific if you are familiar with the area, while I was there for vacation. Paid ~$190 for the whole LHS 2nd row seat assembly since they are attached. Disassembled the 7th seat and took the frame of the back piece. They are all fitted into my luggage.

I got them from a Junk yard in Hong Kong, Kam Tin to be more specific if you are familiar with the area, while I was there for vacation. Paid ~$190 for the whole LHS 2nd row seat assembly since they are attached. Disassembled the 7th seat and took the frame of the back piece. They are all fitted into my luggage.
You may be the first in the US to do this! Does your state allow unbelted adults in the back row? That's probably the biggest hurdle unless you can use latch anchors for a car seat in the middle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think the middle seat was never intended to attach any car seats. That will be just for my rare occasional local trips that need to bring the 7th person on board.

I just used the info from a thread in the how to section. I still haven't installed the passenger seat. My wife REALLY like the arm rest. I'll post pics when it's done. It's a pretty simple job. You use the top and lower seat pad from the 3. You attach the lower seat foam and cover to the 5 seat pan then bolt it to the 5 seat track. Took me about 45 minuets to do one seat. I'm sure the passenger one will go faster.

Finally put a stainless steel tip onto the after market replacement muffler. Took over 3 months to arrive from Aliexpress, and surprisingly it is made of stainless steel not a cheap chromed steel.

cache.php

2ns7vvt.jpg

Drove from Illinois to Maryland. Sometime during the trip my exhaust got super loud. I suspect a leak or hole in front of the muffler, so I guess exhaust work will be done when I get back.

Installed Ring RMS10 power socket in rear fold out cup holder

Today I installed this power socket (12V + USB) in the rear fold-out cup holder between the to front seats:

http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Cars/Multi-Sockets/Multi-Sockets/RMS10

I bought it to use it occasionally as a stand-alone socket, but it fitted so nicely in the cup-holder that I decided to make it a permanent install.
The install turned out to be quite straightforward:
1. Remove the complete console by detaching the four screw on the side walls
2. Remove the cupholder by removing one screw and then detach it from the clips
3. Remove the front cover of the cupholder
4. Drill two holes in the cupholder, one for the power line and one for a screw to secure it to the bottom of the cupholder.
5. Cut the wire of the power socket to allow it to go through the hole
6. Route the wire through the hole and on the inside of the cup-holder re-attach it to the other part of the cord.
7. Secure the wire using a tie-wrap to the hinge of the cupholder to make sure the wire doesn't get trapped
8. Route the remaining part of the wire to the front of the complete console and reinstall the console.

Attachments

• Added pads on the bottom to prevent wobbling.jpg
    Added pads on the bottom to prevent wobbling.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Hole in the bottom of the cupholder to secure the power socket.jpg
    Hole in the bottom of the cupholder to secure the power socket.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Hole to route the power wire.jpg
    Hole to route the power wire.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 181
  • Reattached the cupholder-assembly to the console.jpg
    Reattached the cupholder-assembly to the console.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Reconnecting the wire.jpg
    Reconnecting the wire.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 188
Some other photo's:
Reconnecting the wire_resize.jpg
Ring RMS10 with cut wire_resize.jpg
Route the wire to the front_resize.jpg
Securing the power wire_resize.jpg
The final result_resize.jpg

I cannot find out how to show them inline, so ended up adding the photo's as attachments...

I changed my own oil for the first time ever in any vehicle today. Used Mobil1 0W-20 with a Mobil1 filter. 107,685 miles.

Last edited:
Back