What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Just came back from the road trip.
Drove about 6000 km in two weeks with two kids in the back.
Went from Vancouver to San Francisco, LA, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, back to San Fran and back to Vancouver.
Missed the Grand Canyon unfortunately.
Was a nice drive, with the longest stretch at about 16 hours with just fuel stops.
Car made it through ok but I found out that seats were not comfy for such a long drive. Had to buy one of those gel things to stick under the butt.

Did the oil change after the trip and will probably was the dead bugs of the car this weekend.

Should have called me, and come hang out with us!!! We did a similar trip (2500 miles) for our spring break. 6 people in car, 21 cubic feet roof box. Instead of Vancouver, we did Mexico too on our trip. :)

2) it is not really comfortable sitting in the middle, there is a big gap between the seatback and cushion.
3)
2ylaic2.jpg

4) Shift knob is easy to remove, just turn it counter clockwise. The CF shift knob is from China, for USD7
5) Got the steering wheel from China...custom made...USD200 shipped + USD90core
6) Yes, dual sliding door, but no power trunk.

Link to shift knob
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...XpLqm&id=554543176552&ns=1&abbucket=19#detail
Link to steering wheel
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...xV9Ji&id=546651869222&ns=1&abbucket=19#detail

Thank you for the links! Much appreciated. I was JUST in Kowloon and would have loved to meet up.

I was curious about your headlights, not the other LED :)

Holy hell that Toyota Alphard is amazing.
The seating in your 5 is also really cool.
Very jealous of your car collection.

Holy hell that Toyota Alphard is amazing.
The seating in your 5 is also really cool.
Very jealous of your car collection.

I would like to swap them with stock leather seats...these seats smell awful and not soft at all, looks like PVC leather. First owner said the dealer re-wrap it when new, quite common here.

My weekend ride, it's 14yrs old and about time to retire soon
001359696a7ff0f811.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure my transmission is toast. Drove it around as normal heard a clunking when trying to catch a gear(that disapeared) I can't for the life of me find information on transmissions I can swap into my 2010 mazda 5 MT. Upon acceleration in gear I hear a light grinding noise that gets louder with increased rpms. Anyone know if the mazda 3 transmission is bolt on? Either the 5 speed or 6 speed.

Pretty sure my transmission is toast. Drove it around as normal heard a clunking when trying to catch a gear(that disapeared) I can't for the life of me find information on transmissions I can swap into my 2010 mazda 5 MT. Upon acceleration in gear I hear a light grinding noise that gets louder with increased rpms. Anyone know if the mazda 3 transmission is bolt on? Either the 5 speed or 6 speed.

I believe it's identical to the Mazda 3 5-speed.

Also: replaced my valve cover gasket per recommendation from shop. Was easy, cost almost nothing, idling is better now too.

Thanks

Will keep an eye out. Just turned 98k miles. Only Subaru usually need HG replacement at these low miles

Yep, I did a valve cover and then later on a a head gasket replacement on my Subaru's EJ25 engine around that mileage. But I think the service in question here is the VC gasket as opposed to the HG. Those are generally easier and cheaper.

Ah ok. I read HG instead of VC Gasket. Thank you for the clarification.

I don't have any oil burning issue or oil loss, and the area around the head looks clean (for now).

Who knows if it will start leaking in 15K miles at 115K and I need to replace.

Appreciate the help

Yep, I did a valve cover and then later on a a head gasket replacement on my Subaru's EJ25 engine around that mileage. But I think the service in question here is the VC gasket as opposed to the HG. Those are generally easier and cheaper.

Finally in the process of "-1" sizing, after 6.5 years driving in Michigan potholes on 50 series rubberbands. Found a deal on 16" Mazda5 Sport wheels with TPMS included, also four good Altimax RT43s that I hope will suit my needs well. Unfortunately, only one of the wheels got shipped on time, but the rest will ship Monday.

At 47k on our 2010 MZ5, did the tranny fluid with Valvoline Maxlife yesterday. Very straightforward process; saw the red fluid come out about 6 qts into the drain and fill process.

Waiting on a good day to do my brakes. Pads were $137 from the dealer parts counter, and turning is (was?) $15 per rotor locally, so I expect to save ~$700 doing it at home.

At 47k on our 2010 MZ5, did the tranny fluid with Valvoline Maxlife yesterday. Very straightforward process; saw the red fluid come out about 6 qts into the drain and fill process.

This reminds me, I should do this soon. Also, my dealer said my CV boots are starting to dry rot at 60k and 6 years old. Haven't yet inspected them myself ... I thought that was usually only needed on something rather older?

Waiting on a good day to do my brakes. Pads were $137 from the dealer parts counter, and turning is (was?) $15 per rotor locally, so I expect to save ~$700 doing it at home.

This reminds me, I should do this soon. Also, my dealer said my CV boots are starting to dry rot at 60k and 6 years old. Haven't yet inspected them myself ... I thought that was usually only needed on something rather older?
Don't waste your money on refinishing rotors. They are so cheap that it doesn't pay when you consider your time and effort to take them to the store.

Back