Taking it into shop for some repair estimate.
Someone decided to say hello to the front bumper at the intersection. (two car collided and one car bounced of and hit our stationary car while waiting at the light)
Car will be out of service for probably 2-3 weeks, got a rental RAV4 for now.
The Mazda5 had been traded in (3/11/2017)
I'd hate to spam the thread with a gallery of photos, so I will leave the last two pictures I took.
Installed Koni FSD struts all around, and F&R alignment...still tracking straight and true, and body control over freeway heaves and transitions is much improved. As smooth-riding as whatever was on it (bought used; have no idea if they were replaced before), maybe even a bit more compliant over expansion joints.
My second set of FSDs, I have them on my 2012 MINI Cooper, absolutely transformed that car from flinty-riding to pretty decent, and still nimble.
Oil change done. Flushed coolant
Cleaned up all the coffee, spilled & splashed in the accident we had a while back.
Waiting on tires to be delivered. Received my adjustable rear control arms.
Bought new front brake rotors & pads. Both Brembo, Autozone was the cheapest (March20 = 20% off + free shipping)
LED'd most of the easy bulbs. 9005 Opti-7 Fluxbeam high-beams, map lights, dome light, cargo light, backup lights. I needed shorty 194s for the map lights...didn't have on hand. Put on my rear bumper cover. Added a Valentine One mount and direct power wire (wrote a how-to elsewhere).
Found a M5 in the local self-service JY and pulled a few things.
Yay, factory interior mirror. Replaced tail-lights with later style.
My bargain basement M5 came w/o adjustable intermittent wipers, a feature I really miss in rainy PNW.
Grabbed the stalk with that feature - it's plug & play.
Couple plastic trims for rear wheel wells & bumper to replace broken post crash stuff.
I will probably go back on Sunday afternoon for more detailing parts. Anyone interested in something shippable that doesnt take 5hrs to pull?
As pictured forget anything under the hood, forget the front seats. - Crash was so bad front seat pulled up floor, driver door frame buckled.
That said, it's fairly complete, I was probably the first one to grab stuff.
Last edited by Primergy; 03-31-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Took advantage of the break in the rain on Saturday.
Replaced front breaks, flushed brake fluid all around, changed to DOT4. Yay, cap from pressure bleeder for a Volvo also fits the Mazda.
Put in the adj. rear control arms. MAN, I wish I would've read about the exhaust hanger issue before. Lots of fiddling, in the end I just chopped off the excess threading, backing it out as much as possible with he rubber out of the way.
With he limited space under the car, the olde TigerSaw sure came in handy.
Last edited by Primergy; 04-03-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Most of the exhaust hangers broke off the increasingly rusty Mazda5, but somehow the exhaust itself was still intact and not leaking. I didn't want to deal with trying to disassemble the whole thing to get out the section from the header most of the way back, and of course dealing with the inevitable broken bolts, problems sealing afterwards, and lots of other little problems that come along with rust.
So, time for some in-situ repair. Basically, its just taking one of the exhaust clamps used for holding together slip-on connections, and building something off of the exposed ends of the U-bolt to hang from the rubber hangers. So, some square-section steel tube, threaded rod, assorted nuts and washers, and some aluminum tube to slide over the threaded rod to protect the rubber exhaust hangers, and the result was:
Basically, everything is assembled to make sure the nuts are in compression against something so they don't loosen, and the ones on the end have threadlocker.
Brakes tonight if they show up, first order showed up but as I attempted to install the rears the caliper bracket bolts BROKE off. Never seen that before. No problem, I'll drill them out, EZ out and re-tap the threads. Nope ez-out broke off in hole. Next worked but tap broke off in hole. Ok, new calipers since the brackets included then one of the rotors had excessive runout and the pads were wrong so...
Somewhat funny, I loved working on this when it was new since everything came loose easily but now with 173,000 miles on it it's not quite as much fun.
Picked the car today from the repair shop. $6500 later (insurance paid) and the can is as good as new.
Probably even better now then before. They replaced all the parts with the new OEM, repainted and fixed little things left over from the previous time. (I bought car rebuilt)
New paint on the whole front clip as well as two right doors, so now looks like new again, without those little annoying scratches that you accumulate over the years.
7k more km and I'll be joining the 100k (km) club, probably some times by September.
Finished brakes, put the Volks back on. Toledo to Chicago to Nashville next week.