What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Ouch! That would be a bad day, of course it was the wife's fault as you certainly would have avoided! Or at least that should be your story and stick to it...

I was just thankful that it did not hit the windshield, she was driving with my 5 year old. Who knows what could have happen if it did, just hope whatever that fell out was costly for pickup's driver to replace.

Last edited:
I would take advantage of the freakishly warm weather going on right now and pull the bumper off to complete your repair. What you have done so far looks pretty good, but I would bet that once Canadian winter sets in the JB Weld will pop off the plastic of the bumper. I used "gaffers tape" on the bumper of my old Subaru after the wife hit a deer and it is still there four years later, just food for thought.

I would take advantage of the freakishly warm weather going on right now and pull the bumper off to complete your repair. What you have done so far looks pretty good, but I would bet that once Canadian winter sets in the JB Weld will pop off the plastic of the bumper. I used "gaffers tape" on the bumper of my old Subaru after the wife hit a deer and it is still there four years later, just food for thought.

I agree 100%...plus the popsicle sticks...hmm not very attractive either.

I have looked into taking off the bumper cover and it looks pretty easy because I could have done a much better repair with it off. But there is always the potential problem of these rusty 10mm bolts underneath the bumper cover and the 2 at the corner of the fender. Didn't want to deal with them in the cold and the limited daylight. It is the only car we have now that my convertible has been put into storage for the winter.

I did it this way to see how the epoxy putty holds up. If the epoxy holds up I will just use some body filler, sand it up and paint it with matching paint and clear. If not I will take it off and repair it or buy a replacement cover when the weather is warmer.

I agree 100%...plus the popsicle sticks...hmm not very attractive either.

The popsicle sticks with hot glue were there just to hold the crack in place till the epoxy sets. The epoxy putty was applied on the back side of the crack. I used the whole epoxy stick, there is a pretty thick layer of epoxy putty along the back side of the crack. Didn't get pictures because it was getting dark, had to clean up and pop the fog light back into place.

My wife was being pass on the express way by a pickup truck and something bounced out of the back. She tried to avoid it but still got tagged. Cracked the passenger side bumper, fog light housing and chipped the headlight. It happen pretty fast and she did not get the license. The pickup driver probably didn't even noticed what happened. Here is the damage.

25tzy4g.jpg

Damn, that sucks. :(

I had a flying foot long piece of 2"x4" fly into my 5 in the same spot on the bumper cover a few weeks ago. I lucked out and the bumper cover just got a star pattern from the impact and the right side by the fender pops out anytime I ride on rough pavement now. I need to make a more permanent fix soon.

Drover her to work for the first time this week (been driving the Subaru) Realized my gas mileage is in the crapper, probably time to get a new set of plugs and maybe an O2 sensor to boot. AFAIK the sensors on the car now are original with 211K on them, so I guess them needing replacement isn't a surprise.

I had an MZ3 steering wheel with nav controls that I tried to swap using an aftermarket Alpine W957HD.

I swapped the controls over, they connect fine without any problems. I programmed the iDataLink Maestro for the MZ3 steering wheel.

All the buttons that were there previously worked. None of the new buttons worked.

The clockspring will not register any commands from the new wheel.

I checked with iDataLink and was told I'd have to replace the entire clockspring with one that matches and even that's not guaranteed to work.
A clock spring is just a pass through, like a extension cord that can be wound without breaking. As I understand it, Mazda uses resistance based triggers on the steering wheel that communicate to the BCM (or ECU?), which communicates via Mazda CANBus back to radio/display. What you then confirmed is the newer gen Mz5, while using similar looking wheel, model year, etc. as the Mz3 uses a different BCM (or ECU) b/c it cannot pickup the triggers from the wheel. That would be a surprise but probable.. OR something is missing on the IDataLink side. What year is the Mz3?

Oh dear God help me I have fallen off the wagon in a big way. I have spent the last three days on Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix looking at speakers and four channel amps. I figure if I'm gonna have her for at least another year I might as well go deaf driving her. That and I got the new-ish Nile album and the stock speakers cannot handle it AT ALL, just sounds like a wall of noise. Must have clean volume.....

Oh dear God help me I have fallen off the wagon in a big way. I have spent the last three days on Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix looking at speakers and four channel amps. I figure if I'm gonna have her for at least another year I might as well go deaf driving her. That and I got the new-ish Nile album and the stock speakers cannot handle it AT ALL, just sounds like a wall of noise. Must have clean volume.....

Oh yes, I will be there once I figured out / read up on the factory stereo replacement and wiring...
I have an old Yamaha YPA-1000 I could wire in. My DD Volvo 240 has a Nexus 7 tablet + USB DAC going into a 2-channel amp and an active sub. Maybe I can come up with a similar setup. I'd like to get the steering wheel buttons to work, will see..

Stay Brutal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRENZTHTFjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1IRag_tzMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7_3WFHsbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNKInvNeN4

I've had systems in a few past cars, and i very recently decided that i miss the quality of sound that comes with good speakers and amplification. I had thought i could live with the muddiness of the stock speakers with my Pioneer 3100dvd hu, but no. The good news seems to be that speakers and amps can be had for reasonable money, i just have to choose. Looking at polk components for the front and BIG power pioneer 4 ways for the back.

Mh, given that the rear "enclosures" are comprised of a metal bracket, a mediocre seal to the rear of the speaker and a gigantic plastic panel, it does not make sense to throw too much money at it.
Maybe applying a few fiberglass ridges to the panel? One could still outsource the lowest frequencies.

My wife was being pass on the express way by a pickup truck and something bounced out of the back. She tried to avoid it but still got tagged. Cracked the passenger side bumper, fog light housing and chipped the headlight. It happen pretty fast and she did not get the license. The pickup driver probably didn't even noticed what happened. Here is the damage.

I know NOTHING about insurance in Canada, so this may be not at all applicable, but in the states:

If I hit something on the highway, it's my fault, and is claimed against my collision insurance, which typically has a higher deductible and will have an effect on my rates going forward. However:
If someone else runs over something on the highway, or something comes out of a vehicle, and it flies up and hits me, that's a "missle," it's not my fault, it's claimed against my comprehensive insurance at $0 deductible, and doesn't cost me more down the road.

...You may want to look in to how your policy works and get that taken care of if it works like our insurance. Just make sure you point out that the object hit you as it bounced out of the truck!

Let see, in the last month I've...

Replaced front sway bar bushings with OEM (man these are a b**** and PITA to do)

WHEEW!

Really, you thought so? I finally did mine today and it was way easier than I thought it would be. I popped the hood and was staring at the bolts so I took all my extensions, about 3' and did it from under the hood. The only one I did from the bottom was the drivers rear and got it easily with a Gear wrench.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

RX8 seats on custom mounting brackets and retaining the factory sliders. I have a good 6" more head room and 4" leg room. My knees don't occupy the same space as the dash now!

Back