What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

The tan gets super dirty fast. The seats and panels are all dirty :( I'll go black leather with red stitching eventually.

It really does what I use to keep them clean is the armor all for fabric seat I spot check my seats ever 3rd wash or so. Works great and my seats look new.

I'll trade you my black interior for your tan interior :) Black gets really hot here in Southern CA, I wish I had the tan.

David

Tint with a sun visor keeps the car cool. Even after 105 the car is cool enough that you can drive off with out baking in it. Oh just make sure you leave the windows a bit open to let the hot air rise and escape.

Decided to wrap some stuff with brushed aluminum vinyl. Was my first time using vinyl. It's not perfect but its adequate for now.

Definitely need a black interior, the tan sucks

20150320_154328 by tuanies, on Flickr

20150320_172750 by tuanies, on Flickr

20150320_172727 by tuanies, on Flickr

Hmmmm. I was actually thinking of doing this but with carbon fiber wrap. I like the new 3 interiors with the carbon fiber trim. Any tips or tricks that you found while doing this? I like the new shift knob by the way.

It has been too cold to spend time on any big projects. I to change the front sway bar bushings, but my Mickey mouse ratchet set was not up to the challenge. I will try again this summer.

The one thing I have done is watch rust eat away at my rear wheel wells.

Changed the oil and filter. My drain plug is stripped (actually its the pan thats stripped) sigh... She is only dripping very slowly right now but i will have to fix it soon.
You may already have a Quickdrainvalve (FKA Fumoto vavle). it's like ~$20 and never have to worry about washer. It comes with a gasket which should be sufficient or add a dab of sealant for your leak. Ability to draining hot oil is fantastic! And for the super cheap, you can remove it when you sell the car so really it cost nothing (ok, fine, you cant sell it as new boohoo :p) but you get the convenience out of it. Buy buy buy! :D

$600 shipped via Amazon Prime. All Centric/Stoptech hardware, even down to the stainless braided lines. Damn good deal.

Changed the oil and filter. My drain plug is stripped (actually its the pan thats stripped) sigh... She is only dripping very slowly right now but i will have to fix it soon.

You may already have a Quickdrainvalve (FKA Fumoto vavle). it's like ~$20 and never have to worry about washer. It comes with a gasket which should be sufficient or add a dab of sealant for your leak. Ability to draining hot oil is fantastic! And for the super cheap, you can remove it when you sell the car so really it cost nothing (ok, fine, you can’t sell it as new –boohoo :p) but you get the convenience out of it. Buy buy buy! :D

Billy mays here^^^ you've talked me into it, i can get them from Amazon right? What thread size/pitch do i need?

Go here:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I'm assuming the 2006 models have the recessed drain port? If so, I would just get the F106SW. That's the one I purchased my wife's 2010. Are the threads to your oil pan borked to the point where you can't fix though?

Go here:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I'm assuming the 2006 models have the recessed drain port? If so, I would just get the F106SW. That's the one I purchased my wife's 2010. Are the threads to your oil pan borked to the point where you can't fix though?
Something to think about… There are only a handful of drain plug sizes for that fit most/all oil pans. Having the option of a short plug “allows” the use of the plugs on another future car or sale to other car owners that doesn’t require the extender, which is most cars. You could sell/make use of the extended version too but it just won’t be ideal -same as- using a connector works find but just not idea. So, pick your poison.

For the record, I am using the two piece valve b/c the integrated extender version was not available back then. But considering the installed is a one-and-done affair, I’m not sure which way one I would lean towards. I am not promoting one way vs the other, just trying to make the decision more difficult for ya :D. It would be foolish to ‘NOT’ get the nipple extension! I though I saw they now make it with a 90* tip too.?.

$600 shipped via Amazon Prime. All Centric/Stoptech hardware, even down to the stainless braided lines. Damn good deal.
Way I see it, only the cost of the MS3 caliper (with bracket) and SS lines should be considered kit cost. The other stuff are wear/tear and servcie items and are subjective to cost/quality of selection. How much did these run ya? For those who recall, Rod found a way (more like a loop hole) on how to get it really cheap but I won't promote it in public space.

It is a GREAT investment. You get to drive faster and the wife gets to drive safer.

Last edited:
Dammit Billy, you're working on talking me into that one too! LOL I have been considering the Speed3 brakes for quite some time, and now that the pedal judder is getting worse the time may be near. Phunky will be the real kicker once he posts up all the part #s, sigh there goes all my mad money...... And Hank, I have a thread chaser and I'm pretty sure I can clean up the threads enought to get the Fumoto in there for good. Either with Teflon tape or with a liberal helping of plumbers dope (also known as plumber-in-a-can)

Last edited:
Dammit Billy, you're working on talking me into that one too! LOL I have been considering the Speed3 brakes for quite some time, and now that the pedal judder is getting worse the time may be near. Phunky will be the real kicker once he posts up all the part #s, sigh there goes all my mad money...... And Hank, I have a thread chaser and I'm pretty sure I can clean up the threads enought to get the Fumoto in there for good. Either with Teflon tape or with a liberal helping of plumbers dope (also known as plumber-in-a-can)

Glad you have a way to troubleshoot the threads. Hope it goes smoothly for ya :)

Taking over the MZ5 as my daily today to replace my 200k mile beater. First step is to remove all the wife/kid items from the car, a thorough vacuum, and a trip to The Tire Rack for it's 7th replacement tire in 62k miles.

Next step is to decide on the best way to integrate the 5-channel amp, speaker, and sub I have sitting around to the factory setup to retain stock look and functionality.

Taking over the MZ5 as my daily today to replace my 200k mile beater. First step is to remove all the wife/kid items from the car, a thorough vacuum, and a trip to The Tire Rack for it's 7th replacement tire in 62k miles.

7 sets of tires? That is insane. At just 62k you should be maybe just getting 1st or at worst 2nd set of new tires.

Dammit Billy, you're working on talking me into that one too! LOL I have been considering the Speed3 brakes for quite some time, and now that the pedal judder is getting worse the time may be near. Phunky will be the real kicker once he posts up all the part #s, sigh there goes all my mad money......
Billy, may he rest in peace.

Don’t take my word for it. Google Mz3 vs MS3 60-0 and compare the difference (you’ll find various numbers I’d say avg it). Component quality will vary between these two cars as the Speed is performance oriented so we cannot use the absolute number and transpose that to the Mz5 (heftier). What I did was take the difference as a percentage and use that as a baseline for “potential” improvement on the Mz5. Folks who do this are 99% likely going to get better rotors/pads over stock as rotors/pads are the bigger deciding factor so your end results will likely only be better. Think of the MS3 “sized” parts as enablers that make your better aftermarket parts work even more-better (heat dissipation and more surface friction). A few feet can be the difference from a full fledge collision vs fender bender vs avoidance. Seriously, the cost is chump change (assuming you DIY as I have no idea on labor cost) with all things considered. You also get the bonus (requirement) of flushing out old brake fluid which many don’t understand why this is necessary – this is assuming you are due for rotors and pads. I had the Sport with the MS3 brakes and the GT with stockers for two days before selling the Sport – yes. But it's your time and money and really your driving needs/conditions should be considered.

Forgot to add: Buy buy buy! :D (@ secondtyme)
http://www.mazda3 forums.com/showthread.php?t=373934

Last edited:
Back