What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Flushed trans fluid with 9 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife ATF (+drain fill 3 quarts not too long ago). Really want to cycle the old fluid out. Valvoline's MSDS looks better than Castrol IMV, and is cheaper.

Also finally got to fix broken bumper fastener; only waited 2-3 years (rolleyes). Bumper uses polypropylene plastic. YAY to no more bumper edge sticking out like a sore thumb!
rBA1iHS.jpg

Last edited:
I have checked new tires for my car. Also i bought bigger exhaust pipe extension. I fel like a little boy who is tuning his car haha!

Ordered some new winter tires to replace the dead ones: Blizzak WS90s in 195/60/16. Went narrower to get a better footprint in the snow and ice, especially because the 5 has so much weight over the rear, making traction even worse. They'll arrive and get installed next week and I'll finally throw them on the car in January sometime. Also lots of nasty noise coming from the front end I'm getting checked out.

I have a Mazda 5 2006 and today i installed rearcam, and a 4g router and finaly i got 3 hybrid signs on the car, it did not help, it's still 13km/l . ;)

Doing lots of overdue 75k maintenance on the '12 Mazda 5 during COVID19 shutdown. Front lower control arms, tie rods, belt, tensioner, idler pulley, plus 2 new tires and a trans filter/flush/refill. Just a refresh of stuff that is either due or will be due soon.

Do you remember how much trans fluid (I assume this is auto trans?) was needed for the flush and refill?

Yes it's Auto trans, tho I dearly wish it was manual.

I measured the transmission fluid that drained when I pulled the plug and removed the driver side axle shaft and it was 3.5 quarts of fluid that looked like old motor oil. The capacity in the Owners Manual says 8.6 US quarts, so over half is still in the converter and the rest of the system?!

I don't see any leaks, so I'd think its holding at least 3 quarts left in the system, or whatever is left after some has burned and evaporated over 75k Miles? I don't know. I was expecting more to drain out.

Next step is to fill to operating level with new fluid, drive around the block.
Rinse and repeat at least 2 times, or til the color is not brown anymore. I'm prepared with 6 quarts at the ready and will buy more if necessary.

I'm looking into doing the full flush with 2 buckets and the wheels turning, but the shade-tree method is more my speed.

All this will happen eventually after the concurrent suspension rebuild is complete. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
The front end of our 5 has gotten a lot of attention as of late. Swapped out the stock halogen low beams with HIDs, installed a pair of Hella 500 driving lights with retrofitted HIDs, and finally replaced the stock horn with a dual horn setup (Fiamm Freeway Blaster high and low tones).

IMG_5030.jpeg

IMG_7193.jpg

Doing lots of overdue 75k maintenance on the '12 Mazda 5 during COVID19 shutdown. Front lower control arms, tie rods, belt, tensioner, idler pulley, plus 2 new tires and a trans filter/flush/refill. Just a refresh of stuff that is either due or will be due soon.

I attempted to replace our LCAs over the winter only to find the larger bolts were seized in the arms. My impact hammer wouldn't even get them to budge. Ended up having to take it to a shop to get the arms cut out and replaced. Next on the list: front-alignment!

The front end of our 5 has gotten a lot of attention as of late. Swapped out the stock halogen low beams with HIDs, installed a pair of Hella 500 driving lights with retrofitted HIDs, and finally replaced the stock horn with a dual horn setup (Fiamm Freeway Blaster high and low tones).

View attachment 224609

View attachment 224610

Reminds of of a stealth install from a guy on one of the old Mazda 3 forums. He installed Hella black out driving lamps behind the lower grille. The grille didn’t really impinge on the light they put out, and when they were off they looked black.

Reminds of of a stealth install from a guy on one of the old Mazda 3 forums. He installed Hella black out driving lamps behind the lower grille. The grille didn’t really impinge on the light they put out, and when they were off they looked black.

Yeah, I remember coming across that when I was researching fog/driving lights. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of grille mesh or even room between the grille and impact bar to mount these lights stealthily. But I always liked the look of exposed lights (because rally car!). I'm actually contemplating adding a second set to the front to have four lights filling up the section of grill I cut out... kind like this:

IMG_5031.jpg

Back