What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Hey BLACKOUT, you always make my wish list longer. What strut bar is that? Is it a CR spec or fit both CW and CR? And would you please share the source if you don't mind?? Thanks a lot.

EDIT: After I did some research, seems like the bar is designed for 05-10.

Last edited:
qyu97r.jpg

Since 2nd gen Mazda 5s don't come with a roof rail option, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I successfully installed some DIY roof tracks to fit my Loadwarrior with 18" extension. The stock roof rack mount points are just too far forward for the setup. This allows me to freely adjust where the cross bars sit.

The tracks consist of four pieces of 3' aluminum T-track from Lee Valley (bolted together to create two ~5' lengths). I may eventually paint them black for a more stealthy appearance. Just waiting for crossbar mounts to come in they'll screw right into the black threaded posts sticking up from the track. Stay tuned for images of the completed project (need to get it completed before our upcoming camping trip in August!)

-Tony

Got a front pic and a link?
Cracked my fogs a while ago; considered getting projector fogs but I wasn't sure if it was gonna fit the OEM housing.

iJDMTOY http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mini-HID-Bi-Xenon-Retrofit-Projector-Fog-Lamps-p/70-126.htm

Fitment is good only complaints are bulb seal area could be better and there isn't any mounting threads cut in the plastic so you need to either use self tapping screws or apply a lot of force to stock bolts to cut threads for you...pretty much drop in though and a big improvement over stock housing..usable light now...here's a shot from front

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 771
Finally decided to spend $10 to by better wheel spacers (better design, not necessarily quality) to see if it helps with a slight vibration at HWY speed. When I first did the MS3 calipers way back, I was not expecting to need spacers to clear stock wheels. I had to scramble for some universal junk from Pep Boys to get back on the road. I’ve kept using them since b/c I have them and they didn’t seem to cause any problems physically with clearance. UNTIL, I put in 5mm hub centric spacers and it matters.

5mmvs516inchSpacers_zpsqsk4vi5l.jpg

Anecdotal feedback:
-I’ve run 5/16” (~8mm) thick spacers for over 20K (collectively over 2 cars) and wheels did not come loose or fall off (Do at own risk!)
-I highly do not recommend universal bolt pattern spacers. Even with the best effort to centrally position them (b/c they are not hub centric and bolt holes are oversized) you will get a slight wheel vibration.
-8mm gives a VERY nice flush look :D and possible better stability (+ alignment) as the front track is wider than the rear (assuming stock front and rear are equal).
-8mm spacer will lose hub centric rim mounting resulting in lug centric where proper rim alignment and lug torque is critical, this is never preferred. The 5mm leave a little bit of hub bore but not sure if it really aligns the rim. I wonder if the 3mm might be the best of both worlds!?.. hmmm.. this could be the best compromise for future MS3 caliper converts who are too cheap (frugal/resourceful) to buy proper rims . Not as much caliper to rim clearance as the 5mm but tradeoff is more hub bore to keep hub centric rim fitment (hopeful the shiny new rims are hub centric).
-8mm + my drop shows very faint signs of tire rub (negligible and not a cause from concern but a lower drop may need more camber or fender roll).

T minus 3 days till camping. Roughed out a decent location on the roof to fit the Loadwarrior w/extension! The distance from the bottom of the rack to the roof is perfect. Should be enough clearance to compensate for any sagging in the crossbars (shouldn't be much as I'm using sturdy steel 1" tubing.

Just need to drill holes in the rear crossbar for the roof-mount bolts to get this thing secured and ready for the trip.

Here are a couple of pictures of what it'll look like when completed:
280kqp3.jpg

2u7x15s.jpg

I'll be sure to take and upload some images post-camping trip!

As promised, here are a couple of pictures of our 5 with the new roof rack/basket setup installed.

Cargo basket loaded with canoe, jogging stroller (with wheels removed), and a bag of sand toys for the kids.
174cg1.jpg

And here's a shot of just the van with the basket up top.
160x306.jpg

The rack and basket performed amazingly with everything strapped on. I was extremely surprised with how minimal the wind noise was while driving on the major highway, both loaded and unloaded. While unloaded, you don't even notice the basket up there, so I may actually leave it on all year! And, with the canoe on, the only noticeable noise was at 100+ km/h or driving in windy conditions. We did have some cross wind on our drive home and I found myself having to work to keep the van straight too. Other than that, I'm very happy with the setup!

Changed a flat front tire this morning!
Car seemed to be pulling a bit to the right when driving home from work yesterday, and when I got home I realized the front tire was almost completely flat. Tire has worn a ridge in the sidewall so I guess time to replace.

I used one of me winter tires as a spare and mow the car is pulling slightly to the left.

Flash flooded by my house last night, had to move my car to high ground as the water was almost up to the bottoms of the doors. Only damage I think is the horn got full of water and is even quieter than stock. Good reason to finally buy some Hellas.

This morning: new tires. Replaced my worn-out Cooper Zeon RS3-As with a new set of Cooper Zeon RS3-As. Bought 'em at PepBoys, who have a special on right now so they're just over $80 apiece when you have them installed there. With an alignment I was out the door for $480. Cooper is replacing the RS3-A with the RS3-G1, which promises better performance and longer life. There's a mail-in rebate on the G1s right now, too, but nobody has them in stock yet, so I just went ahead with the RS3-As. They lasted me somewhere between 30 and 40k miles, and they're rated for 40k. No complaints. They're a recommended tire from Consumer Reports and they got me through a hellacious ice storm two days after I bought them a few years ago, and have overall been a nice tire.

Was getting a lot of creaking and groaning fromt he front suspension over the last few weeks so I changed both front struts. Did a quick test drive around the neighborhood and all appears to be quiet once again.

Mine changed to a copper color too, but I DID have crappy reception with the Alba. At first it seemed fine, but as time went on. it just wasn't working. I still listen to the radio especially stuff on public radio.

Was getting a lot of creaking and groaning fromt he front suspension over the last few weeks so I changed both front struts. Did a quick test drive around the neighborhood and all appears to be quiet once again.

What struts did you use?

Back