What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

I changed swaybars. Got nice deal for MPS3 swaybars, front and rear.
Rear was easy, but front was little pain in...

But now it's been done and also wheel alignment.
552d3587576194c2165fea2b4075f8a4.jpg
2a37c055e2bdf640639ec13f9cc3d734.jpg
602260212757aad5033caeaca7c2adec.jpg

did you put in new control arms (any recommendations?) or just replace bushing? What made the pass side more difficult? I*m developing highway shimmies and need to check rims but think it*s about time for new LCA (or bushing).

How did the AC clutch work out? Did you just get a reman cool or press in new bearing?

I put in a new control arm on the passenger side. Pain in the ass since the AC compressor is in the way of the front control arm bolt. You have to remove the rear engine mount and hoist the engine up on the passenger side to clear the bolt past the compressor. The clamp around the post of the ball joint stub is also a pain to break loose. It's not something I want to do again. Control arm didn't fix the clunk... then I realized it was probably that infernal rubber disc upper passenger side engine mount. Ordered one of those too, gotta put it in.

AC clutch was a new replacement- it went on really easily after beating the hell out of the old bearing and then using a bearing puller to finish it off. I have to get recharged before I'm sure it solved the issue- I think I bled off so much coolant during troubleshooting that the compressor won't come on because pressure is too low. Everything fit great though and spins smoothly. Only problem is having to splice the connector for the clutch coil. No big deal- but I've never found a replacement that used the right plug.

I'll dig up links to what I bought if I can find them.

I changed swaybars. Got nice deal for MPS3 swaybars, front and rear.
Rear was easy, but front was little pain in...

I'd actually recommend upgrading the rear only- doing both will bring you back to understeer again. Rear only makes the handling fairly neutral, especially with the spring setup I chose. Looser front sway (factory piece) will give better turn-in.

Most useless mod to Mazda 5 lol....secondary tailgate light, will put super bright LED there, so I can work on my car at night.

I picked up the interior map light randomly on ebay and wired it up to the tailgate interior panel.

34gldvo.jpg

Most useless mod to Mazda 5 lol....secondary tailgate light, will put super bright LED there, so I can work on my car at night.
I picked up the interior map light randomly on ebay and wired it up to the tailgate interior panel.

No way man- super useful. There's not enough lighting back there.

$2 luggage straps + 1 hr of my time
DIY GT3 door pulls on a Mazda 5 (rofl2)

I closed the panel gaps afterward, a bit of effort to clear the way.

jkhdt0.jpg

Last edited:
I have done enough modding to the SLK and will be trading in for the Model 3 later this year, so that thing is done.

The Alphard is my commuter to work and I am sharing it with my dad, can't take things apart.

The 5 is the only thing that can be pulled apart. It is a used car, so a lot of things can be restored or upgrade.

Plenty to love and hate, lol. Personally I don't like the stickered panel or the Speed 5 badging, but the wheel choice is excellent and looks great on the car. Will look even better when lowered. The exhaust tip looks really out of place, almost makes the car look like its off balance. Nice job on the rolled fenders btw.

Still looks ugly. Buy an '08-'10 to fix that problem :D :D

I like the sticker panel. Would be cool to wrap the whole car in that print! The "Mazdaspeed" badge does not belong. That's like putting "Turbo" or "V8". That's borderline poser...

View attachment 220334Going to install exhaust tip tomorrow
After 8 years
Go for it. I think putting a tip on greatly improves the 'look' without paying big money for an unnecessary exhaust.

dual 2 .jpg
Go for it. I think putting a tip on greatly improves the 'look' without paying big money for an unnecessary exhaust.
Thanks. Haven't decided on which one. The shop keeps wanting for me to do a DUAL. I prefer the single. Will have it done in the morning. $40 for a tip+install = can't beat it.

Attachments

• dual 1.jpg
    dual 1.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
The exhaust tip looks really out of place, almost makes the car look like its off balance. Nice job on the rolled fenders btw.

Can't really make it look prettier, the bumper shape is not intended to fit any exhaust except the factory dinky tiny tip. Already spotted a staggered h shape tips that might potentially look better than this.

Can't really make it look prettier, the bumper shape is not intended to fit any exhaust except the factory dinky tiny tip. Already spotted a staggered h shape tips that might potentially look better than this.

Click on "dual 1" link above your post, it is a staggered H the shop showed me.

Latest posts

Back