What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

temporary-86.jpg

massive rake though

frame scrapes on the freeway when the car is packed full of people and there is small dips

Questions: Is that kit the one designed for the 5? Or was it a 3 kit? That front is money, but that rear could come down a tad. Also, how does it ride? Thanks.

i thought they where for that 5 but they end up being for the 3
the ride is great way better than stock , they don't fell harsh like the coilovers i have on my 240's

i will probably lower the rear next week

The kit I got was specifically for the 5- did you note your spring rates? They're a lot higher for the MZ5 version, and the MZ3 is the only one that comes with camber plates per the application guide. Do you have camber plates on the front struts?

massive rake though

frame scrapes on the freeway when the car is packed full of people and there is small dips
thats the fear I have, I love to look of a lowered M5, but scraping/rubbing/bottoming out are unacceptable to me. I use my 5 for 6 people often, and for hauling, so I can't compromise that.

I got two more door dents today! I would love to keep my car looking nice and new but its just impossible living in a city hence Ive become mostly immune to this crap. It also looks like some older car bumper-parked off my ass -hard. There's back residue on the bumper but luckily it comes off with some light scrubbing.

Door dents, scratches, and wheel curb-gash, swirl marks -- as long as we know the history, we wear them with pride. Like battle scars. :).

Door dents, scratches, and wheel curb-gash, swirl marks -- as long as we know the history, we wear them with pride. Like battle scars. :).
I do appreciate battle scars. Shows the car is actually being used. I just leave'em since fixing it is pointless as it will come back.

However, battle scars are scars inflicted upon my own doing; dings/dents fall under vandalism to me. I had no control and this was done upon me against my want/will/control. No pride in that :(

Last edited:
Best mod I did: H&R MZ5 sport springs. Biggest noticeable change. Handling/ride so much better/responsive/firm but not harsh. Clearance still reasonable for daily family hauler.

Worst mod I did: BaysonR DS front spoiler. Looks fantastic! but clearance severely limited my driving routine. I should've gotten the BaysonR JDM, less aggressive, probably clears all my ramps and speed bumps.
15478346_large.jpg

i used my 5 to promote my products in front of one of my retailers. we installed a sony snaplap photo kiosk that slides out of the side door where customers can print out their photos off their digital camera memory cards.

can't do this with a scion xB or a ford transit connect and a regular minivan just wouldn't be cool ;)

That is one CRAZY COOL looking Mazda5 you have there. Thank you for the pictures! :)

Been lurking for a while, but figured I can contribute something to close out this Memorial Day:

1) Installed a MS3 Rear Sway Bar, leaving the original endlinks on. Note for anyone considering: the bolt holes in the 1st gen MS3 RSB are a bit bigger than the stock 2010 MZ5 RSB (12mm? vs 10mm?), but the nut on the original endlink bolt is wide enough to cover it when tightened down. When the original endlinks go bad, I'll swap for MS3 parts.

2) Installed a FIAMM 72012 low-tone horn in parallel with the stock high-tone using this guide. Instead of tapping into the original power line, I made a power splitter (can't link the guide for that). They sound great together.

3) Rotated the tires (and properly torqued the lug nuts). Last time I had it done at Jiffy Lube, and it's clear that they used an impact wrench.

Productive weekend.

Bought a 235/45-17 Toyo Proxes 4 tire to mount on a junk 17x7 wheel for fitment check purposes... took detailed measurements of the 235, my 215/50-17 Michelin MXV4 and my 205/50-17 Bridgestone G019 to see exactly how much clearance I'm going to have inside the front wheel wells. Based on some quick math, it looks like I'll sit 1mm inside the outer edge (and 5mm away from the strut body) of the unmodified wheel well at 1.25" lower in front with -1.5 degrees of camber and a 235/45 on a 17x7 wheel with a +47mm offset.

Reset the ride height of the BC coilovers too- the front left keeps spinning down for some reason. Don't know why.

Whew!

Took tons of pictures too- which will be online with the rest of the stuff I need to post onto the forum.

Typical day today, road warrior hitting local auto dealerships, working out of the back of my 5 doing windshield and headlight repair. Trying to decide if I'm going to do a round of suspension work and another set of tires, or just ride this out a while longer and sell. Could use some tires, rotors, struts, sway bar bushings/links, and cv axles. It will run as-is for some time, but it would be more fun to have it feel like new again, to match the engine which still hums along better than ever... with 209,000 miles and climbing @800/week

Installed a Curt trailer hitch and got a Yakima DoubleDown Ace bike rack to attach to it. It wasn't a factor in my selection, but the rack happened to be a silver/grey color (instead of the usual black) and looks nice with my silver/grey Mz5.

Also did new stiffer front and rear sway bars earlier this week and Koni FSDs a few months ago - documented in another thread. Lovin' the feel of the car now.

finally washed the 5 and put in the summer floor mats. looked at the hood and front bumper and almost cried. looks so bad for only 42000 miles.

also, installed my HIDs since another bulb burned out. (i now have 4 dead H7 bulbs laying around) man those clips were a beotch. had to dremmel the spacers that came with them. (just the basic raptor kit) anyone else have problems getting a proper beam? they are seated snug, but if i lift up on the back, they project a much better beam. i really dont want to have to take them out right now since the drivers side was such a b**** to get in there proper.

I have the VVME hid kit in my 5. I ground down the factory spacer and notched it to fit the bulb. It works perfect, the build is as snug as the factory.

Back