2006+ Mazda5 Rear Shocks Replacement

On the pinch weld, there are markings to tell you where to place them. It is also described in the owner's manual.
I know where the jack points are, I just wasn't sure if I could physically set the jack stands on the pinch weld. My Miata has similar markings on its pinch weld, but also has a raised pad at each corner just inside of the pinch weld to rest jack stands on. The Mz5, of course, does not have this, so I was confused.

I ended up just going for it last night anyway. The pinch weld doesn't seem to have any damage from me resting the jack stands on it.

The job was pretty easy, especially because I have a workbench with a vice. I did wait until I got the car actually back on the ground to torque the lower shock bolt. The improved ride in the rear highlighted that the ride up front isn't as good as I remember it being! I'll wait until one of them blows to replace, most likely. I've replaced shocks on the Miata at least 3-4 times between my car and others', but I've never done struts.

Last edited:
I know where the jack points are, I just wasn't sure if I could physically set the jack stands on the pinch weld. My Miata has similar markings on its pinch weld, but also has a raised pad at each corner just inside of the pinch weld to rest jack stands on. The Mz5, of course, does not have this, so I was confused.

I ended up just going for it last night anyway. The pinch weld doesn't seem to have any damage from me resting the jack stands on it.

The job was pretty easy, especially because I have a workbench with a vice. I did wait until I got the car actually back on the ground to torque the lower shock bolt. The improved ride in the rear highlighted that the ride up front isn't as good as I remember it being! I'll wait until one of them blows to replace, most likely. I've replaced shocks on the Miata at least 3-4 times between my car and others', but I've never done struts.

I was skeptical about the pinch weld too, but mine are holding up fine after having the car up on jack stands several times. The fronts made more of a difference for me, you will be happy when you finally change out the fronts.

I was skeptical about the pinch weld too, but mine are holding up fine after having the car up on jack stands several times. The fronts made more of a difference for me, you will be happy when you finally change out the fronts.
I'm sure it'll be a nice difference. I only changed the rears because the left rear blew out on me and was making an awful racket over bumps, not to mention throwing handling off to an alarming degree.

As a heads up to folks with higher mileage 5s. When replacing your rear shocks take a minute to examine your lateral links and rear control arm bushings. These two components are made more prone to fail by driving with blown rear shocks. On my 06 which has 167k on the clock my bushings were completely shot. Just an fyi...

This!

I replaced my blown rear shocks and noticed that the trailing arm was moving around more than I thought it should...

jr1GDlt.gif

Last edited:
The original bushings are nowhere near hard enough to deal with the stresses they endure. My van had 167k on it when I did my bushings and the drivers side (which i believe we are looking at in Saints video) was almost as bad. My van has lived its entire life at stock height, so don't think that only you lowered folks are at risk for this.

For those folks that would like to be lowered these are the only bushings that you can't center to a lower height. The best thing is to replace them with the Energy Suspension bushings since they are free to rotate in the shells.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, after about 5.5 years and 40k miles, I think the Monroe rear shocks are done (still no leak), the 08 MZ5 bounces quite abit now.

Looks like Bilstein has B4 for MZ5 now:
rear:
Bilstein 19-197302

front:
Bilstein 22-112880
Bilstein 22-112811

The front are still stock, so will probably do all 4 this time. The van is at 68K now should I replace all the springs as well? How about tie-rod, sway bar bushings/end link? Thanks.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, after about 5.5 years and 40k miles, I think the Monroe rear shocks are done (still no leak), the 08 MZ5 bounces quite abit now.

Looks like Bilstein has B4 for MZ5 now:
rear:
Bilstein 19-197302

front:
Bilstein 22-112880
Bilstein 22-112811

The front are still stock, so will probably do all 4 this time. The van is at 68K now should I replace all the springs as well? How about tie-rod, sway bar bushings/end link? Thanks.
i did bilstein all around

Do not put it in the rear

Read about my saga here
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862768-Rear-passenger-clunk

Back