Thinking about buying 07' CX-9 GT with 80K mi

snoxer

Hello, I have been in the market for a while for a newer car and found a CX-9 I might buy. As stated above it is a 07 GT with the following:

Navigation

Rear View Camera

6 disc Bose package

Stormy blue... (4)Brand new Eagle RS-A etc...

This car just turned over 82k miles and is in good condition. Typical small scrapes and such..not perfect but not bad condition either.

My dad was formally a Mazda Dealer and sold his dealership last year. This car is my Mothers demo car. It has been maintained very well and just had new front bearings put in along with the four new tires.

My questions are as follows..

1. How are the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires in snow. I live in WI.

2. How long can I expect this car to last? I know this depends on many things but if it is maintained well can a car like this see 200k relatively trouble free miles?

3. Is $15k a good price for this car with that many miles? I know it blue books for more than that but I cannot find a CX-9 with that kind of milage to compare the price to. I think its a very fair price for a(what once was) a $40k car, but as you can probably tell I'm a little concerned about the milage. I know the dealer who bought my Dad out last year told him they would give him in the $18-19k range for trade in value when he had the tires put on last week. Blue book Private party value is $20k+.

I am driving the car for a week to see if its something I want to. I love the car so far and it drives/runs great. I put on a fair amount of miles with my job and would add a hitch for some fairly easy towing(no tow pkg)...2 place snowmobile trailer and 2 sleds total weight maybe 2000 lbs. I just want to make sure this car will last me a while. Any comments are appreciated!

Last edited:
1. How are the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires in snow. I live in WI.

I'd look into a second set of snow tires. The RS-A is not well rated for snow/ice. I wouldn't even have the Eagles here in AZ.

2. How long can I expect this car to last? I know this depends on many things but if it is maintained well can a car like this see 200k relatively trouble free miles?

On a car like a Mazda, care and maintenance will determine longevity more than miles. How was the car maintained? Look under the hood, first. Is it clean, or filthy? Is the undercarriage fairly clean, or caked with mud or grime. Do you have service records for oil changes and dealer service. How does the interior look, and smell. Yes, smell. Our CX9 is over 2 years old and still has the new car smell.
Even something as simple as the washer fluid level can tell you about the previous owner. Are all the fluids topped off, or low/empty? How are the wiper blades?

3. Is $15k a good price for this car with that many miles? I know it blue books for more than that but I cannot find a CX-9 with that kind of milage to compare the price to. I think its a very fair price for a(what once was) a $40k car, but as you can probably tell I'm a little concerned about the milage. I know the dealer who bought my Dad out last year told him they would give him in the $18-19k range for trade in value when he had the tires put on last week. Blue book Private party value is $20k+.

If it's clean and well maintained, that sounds like a good price.

I am driving the car for a week to see if its something I want to. I love the car so far and it drives/runs great. I put on a fair amount of miles with my job and would add a hitch for some fairly easy towing(no tow pkg)...2 place snowmobile trailer and 2 sleds total weight maybe 2000 lbs. I just want to make sure this car will last me a while. Any comments are appreciated!

07 towing is 1500lbs. max. If you even suspect you will exceed that, add a trans cooler.

My dad was formally a Mazda Dealer and sold his dealership last year.

Ask you Dad about the Car. The dealer know more then the average guy. I would ask the service manager to check the car out, and see what he or she thinks.

$15000 is good price, but make should you get aftermarket warranty for your insurance or the Mazda dealer.

Good Luck.(alright)

Back