Access to Spare Tire Sucks

Thanks for the reference ceric. I thought everyone would like to see those ratings side by side.

I still think the spare removal is pretty darn easy. Form the descriptions of difficulty, I can't help wondering if the tool was being used correctly. It takes 30 seconds to get the spare on the ground from the time I open the rear liftgate. And that includes removing the blanket and other crap in the storage bin. Then I don't have to lay on the ground. I lower enough cable to pull the tire out and then release the saddle. Simple

Last edited:
Doesn't fit, I tried when changing a flat in order to avoid placing the very dirty blown tire in the back. Compared to my prior Tahoe, this is 10X easier to change, so people need to be aware that if they don't like this setup, things could always be worse. I removed the spare last weekend when installing an OEM trailer hitch and it took only a few minutes at most to remove and replace, having gained experience from the flat.

Could you please elaborate? The spare tire/wheel should be the same diameter as the factory wheel/tire, so that shouldn't be the problem. Is the width of the full size tire/wheel the issue, and are you running the 18 or 20" wheels"?

My Honda Pilot didn't have any problem storing a full size spare in the area where the donut goes. I was hoping CX-9 could accomodate the same setup.

read my elaboration in a previous reply. Addition to that, a full size would show, which I personally think looks tacky.

Last edited:
Doesn't fit, I tried when changing a flat in order to avoid placing the very dirty blown tire in the back. Compared to my prior Tahoe, this is 10X easier to change, so people need to be aware that if they don't like this setup, things could always be worse. I removed the spare last weekend when installing an OEM trailer hitch and it took only a few minutes at most to remove and replace, having gained experience from the flat.

Thanks,

I was hoping I could put something better than the donut in the spare tire area.

I just don't want to drive home from a 300 to 500 mile trip on the donut if I got a flat.

As for CX9 sport. I don't give a S#$% if it shows, I just want it to work, but thanks for your comments.

Tom

I don't give a S#$% if it shows, I just want it to work

Wife's away with the CX-9. When it gets back, I'll be deciding for myself if the full size tire /wheel is workable under there. IMHO, perhaps the only use for the p.o.s. donut is increasing crashworthiness, if that. I could care less if it looks "tacky". I'm a function vs. form type of person.

Any proof that the marginal rear crashworthiness results are solely due to the lack of active headrests? If so, please post a link. Thanks.

I did say the tire not showing was a personal preference. My main concern would be the proximity to the exhaust Y, and, of course the saddle not fitting the center hole of the wheel.
If you can get a matching tire to fit, you may be able to find a steel wheel to mount the spare tire on that will fit the saddle.

Actually, I'd prefer to go the steel wheel route. Is anybody aware of a steel wheel in 20" configuration that can be used with the CX-9? I'm inclined to say there isn't such an application.

While back, I had a sly comment when Wakblak sold his OE set for $600 plus shipping, only to find out later it was a generous deal.

Oh well, I got nothing but time, if not patience. In the meantime, I always keep one of the Bridgestones in the back for an emergency.

We got a flat and I had to use the spare. All I can say is the design to access the spare is the worst I have ever seen. The mechanism to lower it uses a unique 5 sided drive head that only works with the handle provided. It can only be turned 1/4 turn at a time. It can be turned by hand a bit, but still needs to be mostly turned with the tool. Then once lowered, you have to lay on the ground to unhook the spare from the cable. What the hell was Mazda thinking.

So, are you using the provided lug wrench with the slot in it as the T part of the hand crank that fits over the hooked shaft that engages the 5 point socket?

Using the combination properly allows the the tire to be cranked down quickly and easily in a continuous motion.

Just asking...

That's what I asked, but didn't get a response. As I said, from opening the gate to having the spare on the ground is about 30 seconds. Pretty nice under-car system, actually.

I have 20" wheels, but what about finding a 18" steel with a tire about the same diameter at the 20's.

I know the bolt pattern could be a problem.

My whole point in a full size spare is the safety of driving several hundred miles home from a trip on the donut at 50mph.

CX-9 Sport, what do you carry on your long Arizona trips other than the donut?

Nothing. The drawback with the donut is speed, more so than distance. If the tire was repairable I'd get it fixed at the closest shop. If not, I'd go to a Discount Tire and get a suitable replacement until a new tire can be ordered. We also have full roadside if we need it.

Last edited:
OK, I admit my failure. When I changed the flat tire, the manual wasn't in the car. I was not able to figure out by looking at the tools that two had to be combined to lower the tire. So lowering the tire is not a pain after all. I still don't like externally mounted spares, but there is nowhere to put it inside and I understand that.

I actually liked our gate mounted spare on our CR-V. It was full size with mathing alloy wheel, accessible for flats, and also for regular maintenance. The CX9 wouldn't look particularly good with a big-ass 18" or 20" spare hanging on the back. The design is much better, and faster, than most under-car systems I've seen.

Every few washes and air checks I drop the donut and wash and air it up.

Back