Car not pulling

bradboyd80

:
'12 Velocity Red MS3
Ok, so I've had the sputtering problem for a while, but recently its gotten exponentially worse. I do have a leaky wga, but according to my boost gauge, it never boosts past 8. So here's my problem. When I give it about 60-75% throttle the car simply bogs down and doesn't pull at all. Litterally. If I drop to about 50% throttle, it begins pulling pretty hard again. It seems as though if I flutter the throttle to keep boost around 5psi or less, then the car runs fine. As soon as I give it that little bit extra, the car hits a brick wall. I thought it could be fuel cut, but I've read that doesn't kick in until around 10 psi. I've cleaned the maf, changed the plugs and wires, and checked for vacuum leaks but can't find any. I also checked for cracks in the mani. I found what appears to be a hairline crack, but really no indications of a leak just yet (no carbon buildup around the crack). Oh, and I also found out recently that the car has already had the reflash, so I've ruled that out also.

So what else could be causing this? I'm wondering if the leak caused by the wga is enough to make the car run this way? Or bad coils causing a misfire? My idle does the "dip" every so often, so it makes me think its a misfire. Any ideas??
BTW, I've checked the gap on my plugs several times, and there fine.

Last edited:
now what i dont know is if a cracked open egr valve would register as a vaccum leak becuase thats where im at. I cant find any more leaks but my idle bounces and car misfires

I'm having the same problem...except for my car runs great at 30% throttle and up. anything under makes it hesitate and bogg really bad like a huge vacuum leak, but there aren't any leaks at all...my wga is messed up and I just ordered the ATP today. so i'll post back after i install it...hopefully ill recieve it by this saturday!

same thing here as far as the 30% throttle 2200 rpms and under the rpms bounce but above that im good boost is also steady just replaced wga I ordered new couplers and a new t coupler for the bpv just in case next paycheck new egr im tired of messing around trying to clean things up there just band aides that still bleed.

check your egr valve probably cracked open due to build up.

I've cleaned that bad boy about 3 times also. Forgot to mention that.

I've also heard that build up on the VTCS could cause the car to bog some also. Any ideas if it would cause the car to act this way? I'm more curious as to why it only does it at a certain boost level. Considering its usually fine at 5 and under, but bogs down heavily anywhere higher than that.

Last edited:
I highly doubt its the tune/heatsoak because leaving one light it'll run fine, but leaving the next light, i'll run like crap. Its so random. If it were the TPS, wouldn't it act up all the time though? The problems only seem to happen in boost. I'll have to check out the fuel pump idea too. Thanks for the ideas!

sorry to get back with you so late....i changed my WGA and problem solved...check your coil packs as well...you'd be surprised what kind of weird things go on when they malfunction...

Yeah thats going to be my next step if the wga fix doesn't work. I'm hoping its something simple like that and not the turbo beginning to die out.

Ive been having this problem too since I bought it back in November! It's annoying. I replaced the wga like 5months ago.

well I got the canada egr in not that hard to install. but still haveing issues it has to be the coils in a good note i passed smog dont know how but i did. but i can feel the car misfireing so up next is the 1.8l coils im thinking about putting them at the strut bar there are 2 availaibe screws at the left corner. would haveing longer wires affect the car? I dont think so but if some one can chime in that would be nice.

I changed the plugs back to the stock ones a few months ago, some one had weird bad ones in it when i got it. Whats this 1.8 coil swap i keep hearing about? whats the benefit from this?

Its mostly a looks mod. It looks cleaner having four plug wires coming out of the valve cover versus the clutter of the coils and wires posted on top if the valve cover. Some people have mentioned the car running smoother but it could be placebo.

Latest posts

Back