US Mazda5 Changes for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the exterior styling of the 6, but the interior leaves something to be desired. The new Accord (and the 6) has been a bit of a flop in Canada compared to the Camry..

The new Mazda6 has been a flop in the US too.
But keeping the thread back on topic... the Mazda5 was recently ranked #1 by Consumer Reports in the rankings of Wagons and Hatchbacks. I just wish Mazda would capitalize on that and start promoting it.... instead of throwing money away in advertising cars that don't sell.

There is a Cox Communications Commercial that plays around here, Destin, Fl, and it has a couple looking at a neighbor washing his car ( a Mazda5) and there is a bundle of money that is next to him and helping him and they ask why he has to show off but the Mazda5 gets some pretty good face time. I wish I could find it online.

There's also the new Ford Transit Connect if you use the 5 for work like I do. Not as quick but it's much roomier inside with more utility than the 5. with dual side sliders and even a dutch door rear tailgate.

0009transitconnect_opt.jpg

OMG!!! I can has??? do want.

I measured my garage door height when open, and that van will fit. I AM GETTING ONE. If it's an ugly little van, I must go there.

previous rides:

1988 Stanza Wagaon (big cube, two sliding doors)
1993 Eagle Summit Wagon (one sliding door)

Just found the following info posted by Jeff-TheBiz (a reputable salesman in Toronto) in a RedFlagDeals post:
2010 Mazda5 (production to start Sept 09)

Changes:
On the GS adding the Comfort Package now adds:
- Dynamic Stability Control & Traction Control
- Bluetooth Hands Free system
- Cruise Control
- Anti theft alarm system
- Leather wrapped steering wheel

Biggest surprise is that Heated seats are still only available with leather and they choose to stay with the 2.3L I4.

If you are leaning towards the 09... do it soon as the first 10 won't arrive until first week of November or so.. and the incentives on the 09 are not likely to get better.

If this is true, I think I'll hold off until the 2010 model especially if the GS comfort package has stability control and the pricing remains competitive.

Just found the following info posted by Jeff-TheBiz (a reputable salesman in Toronto) in a RedFlagDeals post:

If this is true, I think I'll hold off until the 2010 model especially if the GS comfort package has stability control and the pricing remains competitive.

I concur with the above specs...again this is the Canadian Version eh(alright)

Please help me out here guys, it says it adds to the GS Comfort Package Stability Control, which is nice, but does not mention anything about the GT. Would that then imply that Stability Control will be standard in the GT?

Looks good, but the way is written is not very clear, maybe it was a 1min translation from Canadian French ;)

Merci

I'm disappointed that there is no mention of larger engine for this car. I wanted to get one for my wife who needs to replace a Scion xb. The scion was OK except for the low power. I don't want to repeat that with an underpowered Mazda 5. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that at the last minute there will be a change of heart and it will be offered with the 2.5 or at least the option of ordering with either engine, as many American manufacturers do.

Go buy an american car then ! hehe I don't know what you want to do with your 5 but the engine is not so underpowered, but if you want to tow something just forget the 5 !

Last edited:
Interesting variety of models offered in N.A. We own the Canadian GT 5 speed manual (07') that came with:
sunroof, fog lights, 17" rims, rear spoiler, and power closers for the rear sliders. Also sentinal headlights, rain-senseing wipers, and wheel locks.

The only other model offered in Canada is the GS, with 16" alloys, no fog lights, rear spoiler, sunroof, or body skirts. 5 speed is available on both models, though.

We bought the GT only a month ago, from an off-brand dealer, so we have limited knowledge of Mazda factory offerings in the Canadian market. I do not know for certain what features are standard equipment with the GT and what is optional. I believe that the GT could be equipped with leather seats, a 6 disc changer, and sat nav, as optional, extra cost, equipment. Also, that these extras could not be ordered on the GS model.

Any Canadian members know the skinny on differences between models/years/countries? I would be curious to know what the difference is between sport, touring and grand touring US models.

Last edited:
I think TC/SC is something that should be standard, soccer moms and the like are driving these and think it is a good idea. It has been standard in the 3 for years now. DSG type transmissions are the future anyway so soon enough we will all have some form of an auto stick. Also, I think the 5 is powered well enough for what it is. I wish I had gotten an 08 for the 5th gear but we still love our 5. I have driven both the GM and Chrysler mini vans and they are dogs as well so not worried about the competition (really not competition but if I were looking for anything else in the same range it would be a mini van).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back