fuel system/filter cleaner question

tx9

EVERY time I get an oil change, the tech wants to do some type of fuel service for $49.99. Several different places suggested it started at about 10k and I just crossed the 20k mark. Complete was of money or is this something that should actually be done on occasion?

If it's a fuel injector cleaning service, then it's not really a waste of money especially since you have 20k miles. While doing that, you may as well have the fuel filter changed out. This is good practice to keep the fuel injectors clean and prevent them from clogging up. I had a fuel injector clog up on my Toyota Supra a long time ago and just the injector alone was $150, then there was the labor to replace it.

Do not get a cleaning done. Pure crap and waste of your dollars.

Injector gets clogged, more then likely pitted and failing and nothing will fix it

Is that all they do? It cost me $150 at the stealership to have the injectors cleaned on my Sentra a couple years back at about 40,000 miles. They said it needed to be done and I was none the wiser.

I thought they actually used some tool or something to clean them out.

They actually told me at my last service that it needed it again at about 70,000.

Any help saving me $150 would be greatly appreciated.

Can anybody suggest a fuel tank additive, specific brand, for cleaning these that is good? Do you guys put this stuff in your tank at specific intervals or do you just let the detergents in the gas do it?

Last edited:
Is that all they do? It cost me $150 at the stealership to have the injectors cleaned on my Sentra a couple years back at about 40,000 miles. They said it needed to be done and I was none the wiser.

I thought they actually used some tool or something to clean them out.

They actually told me at my last service that it needed it again at about 70,000.

Any help saving me $150 would be greatly appreciated.

Can anybody suggest a fuel tank additive, specific brand, for cleaning these that is good? Do you guys put this stuff in your tank at specific intervals or do you just let the detergents in the gas do it?

I took my wife's Acura to the dealer for a fuel injection cleaning without telling her. It had 40k miles at the time. The dealer charged $70.00 and they connected a high-pressure machine to the fuel rail and cleaned out the injectors. While driving the car home, my wife called me and told me that she noticed a considerable difference in the power the engine made. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he told me that fuel injectors get "clogged" up with deposits from cheap gas. It is a very gradual thing but over a long period of time, robs engine performance.

Another "cheap" alternative is to use the Chevron Techron Fuel additive. I have used this product for my Corvette twice a year to keep the injectors clean, plus GM cars have problems with the fuel sending units that gum up over time and the Techron cleans them out.

I took my wife's Acura to the dealer for a fuel injection cleaning without telling her. It had 40k miles at the time. The dealer charged $70.00 and they connected a high-pressure machine to the fuel rail and cleaned out the injectors. While driving the car home, my wife called me and told me that she noticed a considerable difference in the power the engine made. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he told me that fuel injectors get "clogged" up with deposits from cheap gas. It is a very gradual thing but over a long period of time, robs engine performance.

Another "cheap" alternative is to use the Chevron Techron Fuel additive. I have used this product for my Corvette twice a year to keep the injectors clean, plus GM cars have problems with the fuel sending units that gum up over time and the Techron cleans them out.

This is why I only use Chevron in my vehicles. Dealership fuel system cleaning is a waste of $$$ if you use high quality gas.

I used to use Costco (Giant) gas until the fuel gauge in my Lincoln LS started acting up. Tech said it was from using cheap gas, which fouled the sending unit. Never had the problem again once I switched to Chevron.

It was your Ford, not the gas. Costco sells gasoline. Same formula as Chevron, minus the extra crap they put in it. Placebo affect. Every car I've owned ran terrible with Chevron due to the reduced combustion.

Unless you're refining your own, there is no 'cheap' gas. Other than the rare pinch, I nevr use chevron or Shell and have had zero problems with the fantasy build up of deposits that those companies keep claiming. Good efficient combustion is the best way to keep it clean.

In Houston, the "gas" includes 10% ethanol due to some serious lobbying no doubt. That way we get lower mileage, buy more fuel, pay more for it and additional taxes. I've read that ethanol tends to corrode all of the fuel delivery parts, but not sure there is anything that can be done about it. GM and the other E85 capable vehicles essentially just include different fuel delivery parts in order to handle the corrosion due to ethanol. Gotta love the politics driving all of these decisions.

In Houston, the "gas" includes 10% ethanol due to some serious lobbying no doubt. That way we get lower mileage, buy more fuel, pay more for it and additional taxes. I've read that ethanol tends to corrode all of the fuel delivery parts, but not sure there is anything that can be done about it. GM and the other E85 capable vehicles essentially just include different fuel delivery parts in order to handle the corrosion due to ethanol. Gotta love the politics driving all of these decisions.

I also know someone who works for SHELL here in houston and have been told that the amount of "special additive" in their gas is so small you'd be lucky to get a drop at most with any fillup. Also, the most I've ever done to clean out other vehicles is to maually clean inside throttle body (easy) and put BG gas treatment in tank of gas.

Last edited:
A can of BG on a regular interval (15-20K) will usually keep the fuel system pretty clean. Cheap preventative maintenance @ $25 a pop is better than a stealership service.

It's a complete waste of money. I have 90,000 miles on my 2008 CX9 with no problems. I have declined all fuel system service for all my vehicles with no problems whatsoever. The service writers want to put fear into you that something will happen if you don't do it. I have a 1989 Toyota pickup with close to 300,000 miles. Each time I go for service, they always push this fuel system service.

I have one question. Do the cx9's have a fuel filter that you can replace. I was looking in the service manual and they have two filters inside the gas tank with the fuel pump unit. If they have one in line like other vehicles i would like to know so that i can change it out myself.

I agree, Techron is theb est. I buy them at COSTCO for around $15 for 6 bottles. I throw one in ever 3 months. Have never had a problem. Also, try to use a top tier gas.

I, like some of you here, dump a bottle of STP (or whatever similar) every other tank of gas.
It costs $1-$2 each.

I have one question. Do the cx9's have a fuel filter that you can replace. I was looking in the service manual and they have two filters inside the gas tank with the fuel pump unit. If they have one in line like other vehicles i would like to know so that i can change it out myself.

No, the CX-9 does not have an external, inline filter...just the one in the tank. Verified this through the Mazda parts department.

Back