I got clutch paranoia

koston33

So this is my first manual car and all. I just have a quick question. When I start there car and when im sitting at idle with the clutch pedal out there is a little rumble from the engine bay and, and when i hold the clutch in it disappears. Is this because everything is engaged? Normal?

So this is my first manual car and all. I just have a quick question. When I start there car and when im sitting at idle with the clutch pedal out there is a little rumble from the engine bay and, and when i hold the clutch in it disappears. Is this because everything is engaged? Normal?

I have a MZ3 from 2006 and mine does the same thing. When I push it hard into the floor, the rumble goes away. It's normal. Dont' worry about it.

It's the clutch release (or, "throwout") bearing, and it's normal on this car to hear it.

YEAAAH! You bought a manual! Now you can hear, feel, and know the car sooo much better than you ever have in the past! Cherish this! It's hard to go back once you've learned what a car can do outside of autopilot.

That's funny, mine does the same and I wanted to post about it, but wasn't sure how to describe the sound...

Good to hear it's normal (idhitit)

It's flywheel/clutch chatter. A common issue with clutches that have a high coefficient of friction (like the one in the MS3)...

haha, manual noobs : P

good for you though. most people who start with autos never make the switch.

as others have stated, that noise you describe is perfectly normal.

It's flywheel/clutch chatter. A common issue with clutches that have a high coefficient of friction (like the one in the MS3)...

That is not what he's talking about. Clutch chatter is a reverberating feeling through the pedal while letting out.

That is not what he's talking about. Clutch chatter is a reverberating feeling through the pedal while letting out.

...OK OK, perhaps I chose my words hastily, and failed to read the OP carefully...

What the OP is really experiencing is "throwout bearing chatter" caused by the throwout bearing rotating/spinning against the fingers of the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged.

For someone who gets as annoyed as I do sometimes when terms are inappropriately used interchangeably, I should have been more careful with my word choices...

My apologies. ;)

Does it sounds like marbles rattling around?

...OK OK, perhaps I chose my words hastily, and failed to read the OP carefully...

What the OP is really experiencing is "throwout bearing chatter" caused by the throwout bearing rotating/spinning against the fingers of the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged.

For someone who gets as annoyed as I do sometimes when terms are inappropriately used interchangeably, I should have been more careful with my word choices...

My apologies. ;)

It's the throw-out bearing then. Normal

Considering the main topic has been resolved, I have no regrets in stealing the thread. please don't send the (five-0) , i will plead (dunno)

What induces clutch chatter? In the past, I've rebuilt the hydraulics, but never had a mechanical failure of a clutch. Is this an early symptom of clutch plate wear?

It is normal. The noise is coming from the transaxle.

Very simply, there are moving parts in the transmission that make noise.
With your foot on the clutch pedal, the engine is effectively disengaged from the transmission.

Back