sometimes the engine shuts down . When the rpms drop
to low.

Hi has anyone noticed On the cx-9 , an uneven iddle specially
when in park and the a/c on ,the rpm's drop
about 400 rmp then they come right up
they oscillate in this maner about 10 times per minute
sometimes the engine shuts down . When the rpms drop
to low.

Nope. I have seen cars idle like this when the A/C kicks in and then cycles, but not on my CX-9. Sounds like you have a problem of the car shuts down.

I do not have this problem myself. How long have you experienced this problem? Three easy culprits come to mind. #1 you may have water in your gas, #2 you got a hold of some dirty gas and it has clogged a fuel filter, #3you may have some dirty injectors. For situation #1 some "heat" for your gas will dry it out. for #3 some injector cleaner will help.

It is normal for RPMs to drop slightly when A/C is turned on, but the engine timing should automatically compensate for it. Your best bet is to try the two simple solutions and if they don't work then take it to a service department.

There have been a few that shut off at stops, then reset.

You can try the suggested fixes, but if the problem happens consistently, I'd get it looked at.

Other than what Lindyrect said,
it could be many other things. One came to my mind. ICV (idle control valve).
ICV maintains the idle condition. When A/C kicks in, the load increases. ICV should react properly. If it fails, the car shuts down. My co-workers Lexus RX experiences this while we were going out for lunch. He put it into "R" and the RX shut down every time.
Try this to see if it helps.
Give it some revving to see if it can flush out dirty stuff as lindyrect said.
In my co-workers' case, it did. However, it came back two days later. The ICV was identified as the culprit. However, like I said, it could be many other things. Try the cheaper fixes first.

Other than what Lindyrect said,
it could be many other things. One came to my mind. ICV (idle control valve).
ICV maintains the idle condition. When A/C kicks in, the load increases. ICV should react properly. If it fails, the car shuts down. My co-workers Lexus RX experiences this while we were going out for lunch. He put it into "R" and the RX shut down every time.
Try this to see if it helps.
Give it some revving to see if it can flush out dirty stuff as lindyrect said.
In my co-workers' case, it did. However, it came back two days later. The ICV was identified as the culprit. However, like I said, it could be many other things. Try the cheaper fixes first.
i read in other places of people having the same problem, and i one case it turned out to be the throttle body, does this sound right to you.

On a Mazda CX9 or Ford Edge, one would have to guess the throttle body first since it seems to happen more likely than ICV.

I just had a new throttle body placed on my vehicle for surging at constant highway speeds on level smooth highway surfaces. The new part fixed this problem and also fixed an uneven idle problem with the A/C on. (See surging at constant highway speeds thread). Be sure to check your VIN # and Manufact. date.

Be sure to check your VIN # and Manufact. date.

Unless you know something we don't, this issue is spread across the board. It does not affect only a certain run of these vehicles, and Mazda has not changed the design or vendor of these throttle bodies effective a certain date or VIN, so it can hit any (or all) of us down the road even for a CX-9 coming off the assembly line at this moment and in the foreseeable future.

You know, the true test of a car's reliability can only be determined over time. I like the design of the vehicle and have fun driving it, but I must say that my negative warranty experiences coupled with the known issues have not inspired confidence far as I'm concerned, and I don't see that getting better. If my CX-9 were not paid off and the resale were not so poor, I would probably give serious thought to getting into something else.

Last edited:
(In regards to the TSB on loss of power on steep hill climb, I guess I made an assumption that vehicles made after May, 2008 had an updated throttle body.)

I see what you are saying. Right now I'm sort of on a high, though, after they fixed the surging and idling problem on my CX 9 with an updated throttle body, but I am also worried it is a matter of time before something else happens. Should I sell it now while all is well (and can sell it with a good conscience), or accept the likely possibility that more puzzling problems will arise??

Since I found what appears to be a very good service department in Expo Mazda in Kingwood, Tx, I'll probably keep it (sure would like a new corvette though).

Davidleg,
The new part they placed on my vehicle was
CA01-13-640 THROTTLE B
CY01-13-655 GASKET, THR

Last edited:
thanks for the help today i took in to the dealer, they are going to replace the throttle body, hopefully that will solve the problem. i will let you guys know if it worked out

I just had a new throttle body placed on my vehicle for surging at constant highway speeds on level smooth highway surfaces. The new part fixed this problem and also fixed an uneven idle problem with the A/C on. (See surging at constant highway speeds thread). Be sure to check your VIN # and Manufact. date.

Guys,

Is there a certain set of VIN's and/or models/man. dates that a CX9's would more likely have a problem with the throttle body?

Also, is there a place where someone can access the TSB's for the CX9's ?

Thanks,
tstex

well i took it to the dealer and they replaced the throttle body i have been driving the cx-9 for about 3 days and the uneven iddle has gone away. Thanks for the help Robert h. This makes me feel great, because i have been dealing with this problem for about 2 years and finally its fixed.

well i took it to the dealer and they replaced the throttle body i have been driving the cx-9 for about 3 days and the uneven iddle has gone away. Thanks for the help Robert h. This makes me feel great, because i have been dealing with this problem for about 2 years and finally its fixed.

I had a Corolla that used to do the same thing, except when I took it to the dealer. The rpms would just going up and down, "jumping" faster than I would ever be able to with the throttle, to the point where the car would almost shut off, so I would give it some more gas to keep it alive. Never foudn out what it was, so I just traded the car to be on the safe side.

Back