Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Thread: ViCS recall work done, but now having problems

Registered Member

ViCS recall work done, but now having problems

I have documentation that Recall 3005C - Intake Manifold Shutter Valve work had been completed on 6/22/2006, but a few weeks ago I replaced plug #4 due to "misfire", it was of course damaged. I did a compression check after that and it was fine so I kept driving it.

A week later, I was driving and I heard something in the engine and it began to bog down, so I pulled over and turned it off and got a tow home. Got home and did a compression test and I only have 90psi in cylinder #2.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? It is now 36 months and 36k miles after the original recall work was performed, and the dealer said that there is only a 12month/12k mile warranty on recall work.

Should I take apart the intake to prove that at least 2 of the ViCS screws are missing?

Thanks,
    -C

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

I would but I would've after done it the the first time with cyl 4............

Registered Member

At that point I didn't know about the ViCS screws. I only went looking after I got the noise in the engine.

Registered Member

intake removed

So it looks like I was missing at least one screw from every butterfly and was missing both from #4. The plate was just lying in the lower intake along with one of the screws. But there is no locktite on any of the screws. So did the dealer just say they perfromed the recall work and not really do the work?

Thanks,
    -C

Lancer Ralliart Sportback

yes. document everything and politely demand a new engine.
    I used to have a
    Black Mica Protege5
    Mods:
    MP3 ECU
    Hawk Pads
    OBX Header
    AWR Mounts
    Tokico Blues
    Eibach Pro Kit
    Underdrive Pulley
    Kartboy Bushings
    ThermoBlok Spacers
    Kumho ECSTA AST tires
    Fabricated Ground Wire Kit
    VTCS-Less Intake (Ported)
    Fabricated SRI w/ K&N Filter
    Fog lights on with parking lights

Audio:
    Kenwood Head Unit
    Kenwood Mono Amp
    Custom 10" Enclosures
    Boston Accoustic 1" Tweets
    Rockford/Fosgate Punch 50

Registered Member

Here are at least 2 screws in the precat. It might be 3.

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar

323F

Keep all that & take it with you. Print these pics too.

Registered Member

Found the rest of my screws.

I found the rest of my screws...

Now the question is:

Do I just reassemble it and see how it runs and then find a nice used motor if it doesn't run well or do I go ahead and find that nice used engine now?

Here's a pic of the head....

The compression to this cylinder was good, even though it doesn't look so good on the inside.

-C

03.5 Protege5

North of South FL, yet still South of Central FL
    i'd be taking these pics to Mazda and demanding they bring a tow truck to the house to pick up the car and put a new motor in

Retards didn't reconnect any of my coolant lines when i had my VICS recall done

Didn't keep any recipts or anything, now my motor drinks oil like nobodies business

Wife's Protege5
    Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil did, Phil was before Andrew, who was before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, chiefmg, Tungsten, 2.0t03speed and Tylor again

Registered Member

About that...

I have spoken to the Customer Assistance Center and they said that any repairs would have to go through the dealer.

So, I spoke to the service manager at my local dealer and he said that even warranty work is not getting paid for by Mazda in our current economic state. He estimated that I would have about a 5% chance to get Mazda to pay for any of the labor and maybe just a slightly better chance to get some subsidized parts.

The Service Manager also said that the car would have to be totally put together for them to even consider diagnosing it. The diagnosis fee would be a minimum of $95.

I would have to take the time to put my broke a$$ car back together anyway, so why not buy $300 in parts (instead of pissing away $95) and put it back together right?

The recall work was performed and the warranty period for the recall work has expired. My P5 is out of the factory warranty period as well. It's not right that this happened, but since it happened out of warranty, can they be held responsible?

-C

03.5 Protege5

North of South FL, yet still South of Central FL
    oh, if you were out of warranty, you're up a creek now. Sorry bud
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

you should contact the mazda usa again and also the local district service manager and try to get them to goodwill this repair... it's bullshit that this thing failed! it needs a special recall intake manifold (rumored to be different, I still want to see pics of it!), and definitely a new engine

what kind of fucking "diagnostics" is needed when its obvious right there that the screws are embedded in the engine?

fight this, don't pay to fix a defect!
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT
    '16 BMYFS AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

Registered Member

2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatch

If you want to really get Mazda and/or the local dealership to do anything, especially seeing as this should be done by their own goodwill, submit your story to the Consumerist (www.consumerist.com). I've seen a lot of things get resolved because companies don't want their "good" names dragged through the dirt.
    Last edited by ganzhimself; 07-27-2009 at 03:44 PM.

03 Mp5

That is a defect, there should be no "warranty" period on defects. The manufacturer should own up to this and move on