Satellite Radio Antenna and/or GPS Antenna Locations

DaViper

:
2016 Mazda6 GT
Where has everyone been mounting their Sirius and/or external GPS antennas? I was thinking I'd run the cables to the back of the car and put them before the hatch and spoiler on the roof. Anyone found a better looking location?

I put my GPS antenna under the dash behind where the air vents are (the factory GPS screen location) and it works fine. I guess you don't need an open view to the sky for it to work. Not sure about Sirius, but I get full bars with my GPS antenna hidden in the dash.

I did have it on top of the dash, but I figured if it gets a signal inside the garage, why not try it in the dash... works just fine inside the garage in the dash. :)

I put my GPS antenna under the dash behind where the air vents are (the factory GPS screen location) and it works fine. I guess you don't need an open view to the sky for it to work. Not sure about Sirius, but I get full bars with my GPS antenna hidden in the dash.

I did have it on top of the dash, but I figured if it gets a signal inside the garage, why not try it in the dash... works just fine inside the garage in the dash. :)

+1
This is where I put my GPS mount. No need to have it displayed anywhere externally IMO...unless your antenna has complete s*** reception

Thanks, I'll be installing the GPS antenna under the dash. I'm going to put the Sirius antenna on the roof though for better reception. I'd like to have a no-wire-showing install with the Sharkfin antenna (the sirius antenna fits under it), but it sounds pretty difficult to remove the headliner to access the hole for the antenna in the roof. Will have to look into this some more.

I put my satellite radio antenna right on the dash against the pillar on the passenger side and get great reception and didn't take much work.

I actually put mine on the roof right behind the AM/FM antenna and wired it to come through behind the dash. Havent had any issues with it so far!

I put mine in the middle front side roof close to the windshield. I hide the wire on the windshield rubber. Works perfectly and looks clean.

Thanks for all the ideas. I ended up mounting the GPS antenna under the center dash panel (behind the vents), and mounting the Sirius antenna on the roof, behind the radio antenna. When I finish installing all the stuff I ordered that's coming in the next few days, I'll post pics of the complete install.

Sat antenna adhesive removal

Great info on the GPS and Sirius antennas. Unfortunately my dealer installed the Sirius antenna on the right side of the roof and used adhesive! I wanted to move it behind the AM/FM antenna and then cover the whole mess with a color matched shark fin. I have no idea how to get the satellite antenna unglued without damaging the vehicle. Any ideas? Virtual Garage says the sat antenna and AM/FM mount won't fit under their fin, so I'd like to put the sat antenna ANYWHERE else out of sight, so many locations suggested on various forums, but don't know what to do to get it off the car since they used adhesive - you'd think the magnet would have been enough! If that little wire breaks coming out of the sat antenna, I hope the dealer has some back up plan. They gave me some lame excuse about "signal crossing" as to why they mounted the sat antenna so far away. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Back