Brakes Less Responsive Right After a Car Wash

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
Earlier today, my new (used) 2007 CX-9 got its inagural car wash: a top-to-bottom scrubbing at the local Brown Bear car wash. I paid for the el cheapo wash but somehow the kid running the wash gave my car the royal treatment, which included a wheel and rim scrubbing.

Anway, when I pulled out of the car wash and headed off down the road (still in suburbia) I noticed that the brakes seemed VERY, VERY slow to respond. There's a big round-about around 300 to 400 meters from the Brown Bear, and I really had to hit the brakes hard to slow down my CX-9.

I'm assuming that those big 20" wheels are just more susceptible to soap and water related braking issues than my other cars. Next time, I'll be more careful for the next kilometer or two.

I kinda curious whether anyone thinks I was just imagining this?

I live near Seattle, and we (obviously) drive around in rain and wet conditions all the time. I've yet to drive my 2007 CX-9 is really bad weather 'cause it's the wrong season for that, but I'm assuming that there's something intrinsically different from a car wash that's blasting soapy, teflon saturated water into the brake system versus normal roadside runoff (even in a heavy rain storm).

Last edited:
Who knows whats in the soap. Anytime you get wet enough to coat the brakes. just lightly hold the brakes while driving for a few seconds to dry them.

Good idea anytime you drive through a deep puddle.

What about wax? Did you get that too? That would make a big problem for a short period until it burned/melted off the rotors.

What about wax? Did you get that too? That would make a big problem for a short period until it burned/melted off the rotors.

Yeah, we got the wax, too. Like I said: I didn't ask for the Royal Treatment. It was an accident. The car looked great, but brakes were sluggish for the first 500 meters.

Back