Tranny fluid and filter change how to????

Expygator

:
2008 CX-9 Touring, Black
We are approaching 30k miles on this car and I am wanting to change the fluid and filter. We bought it pre-owned so we aren't sure of the conditions or the way it was driven prior to us owning it. Plus, I'm a preventive maintenance freak.

Has anyone done this? And I don't mean has anyone taken it to the dealer to have iot done?

Is there a "how to"?

Thanks,

Dean

Expygator,
Aisin transmission has life-time fluid - supposedly maintenance-free (if you believe such a thing really exists!).
I am with you on this. I will take my CX9 for a "drain and replace fluid" every 30K or so.
I asked my local dealer. It costs about $100-$150. The fluid used in the Aisin tranny is, of course, synthetic (to last a "life-time"), which costs $$$/qt. Usually there are several magnets at the bottom plate to capture metal debris (in case of BMW - not sure about CX9's). You might want to take the chance to clean them out also.
One probably should also replace the seal once you open it up to prevent leaking.

Nowadays, a big portion of fluid is locked up (some said 1/3-1/2) in the torque converter. A simple drain and replace does not get all out in one shot. It is more like a dilution process. I would recommend doing a 2nd and 3rd every 15K after the initial 30K.

In short, I would bring mine to dealer for it.

The bottom line is that there is no NEED to maintain the tranny. It is not on Mazda's official maintenance schedule (either light use or heavy use). It is your call. I have personally heard many BMW tranny failure because their tranny is of the same stupid idea also. Lots of failures between 50K-75K w/o drain and replace fluid. Exactly after your powertrain warranty runs out. They are not dumb either. In the case of BMW tranny, it takes $300 to drain and replace fluid and $5000 to replace the tranny.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Last edited:
You will only get a couple of quarts out of it by draining. For a total replacement you need a shop to do it. It's a trick not only to drain, but to properly refill it. You also want to make sure the proper fluid is put back in.

I inadvertently drained mine (as much as it would), and ended up going to the Toyota dealer for T4 ATF. Our dealer didn't have any, and another Mazda only carried it in drums for service, but told me to use T4 (T IV). Works like a charm, but what a pain to get the level exactly right.

I agree lifetime fluid is BS, but let the dealer do the change.

The dilemma is that if you want the dealer to suck the fluid out of the torque converter,
it will cost much more in labor. If you do a 30K+15K+15K+... schedule, gradually, the fluid gets replaced. On BMW forum, some experts would argue that "don't flush it". Some debris may get dislodged from the gears and start to cause troubles after the fluid change (some actually reported problems like those after that flushed the fluid). Therefore, people on BMW forum came down to a good compromise (if you will) to just do "drain and replace" on 30K+15K+15K... schedule.
Those who kept this fluid change schedule had not reported any tranny problems
as far as I know. I no longer frequent those BMW forum since I sold mine last year.

My friend's BMW 323 had tranny failure at 55K miles (warranty is 4yr/50K only).
When the mechanic opened the floor-pan of the tranny, many metal debris (size of rice grain) fell off or stayed on the magnets. An awful scene to watch. The repair costed him $5000 with a refurbished tranny. I knew for a fact that he did his part as a owner maintaining his vehicle.

So, Life-time fluid is a scam to sell more vehicles. If you want your tranny to last
longer than 100K, you better not forget about the tranny, which works very hard for you at any speed.

You could theoretically pump more fluid out with the ATF cooling pump, but I don't know how much you would actually get out of it that way.

The easiest, and safest, way is the drain and replace. You will get most of the shavings out each time, and at least dilute the old fluid.

tranny filter and change ....

Thanks for the thorough replys guys. Good information to have. I like the idea of the 30/15/15 method. I may try that one. 10-4 on cleaning the magnets.

What about the filter? Did I miss that in the post? Is this a serviceable item?

Dean

I don't know about CX9 yet since mine has only 19K on it.
In case of BMW, there is a kit for tranny drain & replace. It includes gasket (seal), filter, and other stuff that I forgot. It came in a plastic package from Germany. Dealer will know what to do.
In early days, BMW people actually looked at you like you are an idot trying to replace fluid that is life-time, ... long story. Later on, they started to allow D&R of fluid at $300. For CX9 it probably costs 1/3 of that amount.

Back