trailer light wiring

I know this thread is a little old but I just want to add a little something for all the stick shifters out there, Franzy, nice install but the plastic piece you went through is to cover the hole where the clutch rod goes through and will not work for anyone wiring up a manual tranny. I routed my power feed in the exact same fashion as you but on the passenger side of the car, it's a little extra wire but i could not find a good spot to enter the engine compartment on the drivers side. Under the dash you will find where the main wiring harness enters the interior and I was able to fish the wire through along side the harness. From there I just followed the harness through the engine compartment to the distro box. Thanks for your great pics and advice, it made the job a lot easier! :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll be installing a hitch and wiring kit probably this weekend. The pics helped, knowing how the panels come off. I plan to tap the hot wire into the power port in the left rear panel, just have to check and make sure it is hot with ignition on.

It is hot when the ignition is on or in accessory position. The only problem with that solution is that your brake lights on the trailer will not work without the key in the ignition. Also your hazard lights on the trailer will not work without the key left in the ignition.

Hi hurschel, I thought of doing the same thing but someone brought up the point that if you are broke down on the side of the highway and need your trailer lights, there is a possibility that you could lose them depending on the nature of your problem. The other thing to consider is the tail light circuit on most powered "T" connectors will draw approx. 5 amps. Couple that with the 3 amp draw per brake light and you end up with approx. 11 amps of draw every time you apply your brakes at night. The power port is fused at 10 amps and could lead to fuse failure at an inopportune time.

Last edited:
That's something I hadn't thought of, good to know. I'll just run the wire to "hot" all the time, shouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks

Stirling C4i
http://www.stirlingpowerproducts.com/pdf/C4i.pdf

The company I work for makes them. Available through Home Depot, TSC, And a few other retailers.

Hi Bennett5,
I know this is a response to a pretty old post... but I'm having a hell of a time finding a small covered utility trailer. The one you have is PERFECT and I just can't seem to find anything like it.

You mentioned you worked for the company and posted a PDF spec sheet for it and that it was available at Home Depot. Since then I've rechecked your companies site and it seems they don't make this model anymore?? And can't seem to find it through the Home Depot (on the West Coast anyway).

So, I was wondering if this trailer was still available and if so how to get a hold of one. If not, since you're in the industry could you point me in the direction of manufacturers who make something similar?! It would be very much appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Back