Bad, bad day... Broken TPMS Valve stems FTL

TPMS light comes on, and I realize it has been quite some time since I've checked my tire pressure.

I have Volk GT-C rims which have the valve hole in the middle of the rim. The rims come with an L-shaped extender that goes from the hole to the outside of the rim, but this extender isn't compatible with the MS3's TPMS valve stems. My dealer installs the TPMS valve stems sticking straight up in the middle of the rim which poses no problems. They clear the brakes easily and reaching into the wheel to air up or check pressures is only a minor inconvenience.

Yesterday, I go to unscrew one of the chrome or stainless steel Rays valve valve caps and it's stuck. No problem, I grab an 8mm wrench out of my tool chest to pop it loose and SNAP! the top of the valve stem breaks off and the air rushes out of my tire.
I am grounded.

It appears that these valve caps seized to the metal of the TPMS valve stems. Maybe I should have greased them or applied some anti-seize compound. I usually put that stuff on everything, I don't know why I didn't in this case.

At any rate, I got to wondering if the heat from the brakes had anything to do with this metal to metal fusion.
I'm getting new tires installed next week, and if I go with new TPMS valves mounted in the same spot, I will most likely use the plastic caps that come with them... or do you think they'll melt when the brakes get hot?
The other option is to skip the TPMS valves, go with the L-shaped extender and live with "the light".
Another option is to sell my wheels... I am a little bored already.

Opinions and advice wanted before I install new stuff next week.
Thanks!

That really sux's man..I am over this TPMS crap already! it pains me to have to buy two sets just to avoid looking at that annoying light..not sure if i would bother with the caps again if they seize up on the stem, alittle anti-seize would probably work out alright tho.

The plastic should be fine if your really worried about the tpms they make a band that goes around the middle of the wheel and holds the tpms internally and then you could just run two metal valves

i have seen that on VWs and Audis... most of the metal caps are plated over brass, which reacts with the alloy in the the stem over time. dunno it any sort of anti-sieze would prevent that, might be safer to use some plastic.

Back