Ipod input question....searched but no solid results.

Evolved

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
I hope that this hasn't been covered already....I searched and found conflicting answers all over the place.

I'm looking for an Ipod kit for my MS6 that does not require playlists to be set up and allows me to control the Ipod FROM the Ipod...aka, not going through the steering wheel/head unit controls to select music. I have the SAT button, but do not subscribe so I know I will have to disconnect that and hook the Ipod kit into that jack. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Having the sat button doesn't mean you have Sirius. If you have a little black button antenna on your trunk, then you do.

For you, I'd look at the GROM audio interface. It'll plug in the 16-pin connector on the back, and you'll control everything except the volume from the iPod itself. Should do the trick for what you're looking for.

Having the sat button doesn't mean you have Sirius. If you have a little black button antenna on your trunk, then you do.

For you, I'd look at the GROM audio interface. It'll plug in the 16-pin connector on the back, and you'll control everything except the volume from the iPod itself. Should do the trick for what you're looking for.

Ah, I should have mentioned that I do have the little Sirius array on the trunk. I don't use it, however.

I checked out the GROM and it looks like you have to create playlists and have them go through each one of the CD options, though? Or I could be reading it wrong....

www.gromaudio.com said:
Disk 1 allow to control iPod from its clicking wheel. Select your music from iPod and have it played. Stereo will control iPod
Disk 2-6 mapped to playlists you create on iPod. Full control from car stereo. The following information is displayed: Disk #, Track #, time etc

Ah, that clears things up. You could take the Sirius out and sell it, since the units aren't cheap.

Unfortunately, the iPod choices for our cars suck. It's basically an interface that tricks the HU into thinking it's a CD changer, and it manipulates the signal from that.

There's the sticky thread with all the options in this section, read about the options there. You may just want to do the Auxmod instead. If not, you're options are very limited for keeping the Sirius plugged in and running an iPod.

Ah, that clears things up. You could take the Sirius out and sell it, since the units aren't cheap.

Unfortunately, the iPod choices for our cars suck. It's basically an interface that tricks the HU into thinking it's a CD changer, and it manipulates the signal from that.

There's the sticky thread with all the options in this section, read about the options there. You may just want to do the Auxmod instead. If not, you're options are very limited for keeping the Sirius plugged in and running an iPod.

I've been meaning to take out all the Sirius stuff since it's of no use to me. I would imagine it's the trunk array along with the connection hardware behind the head unit, right?

What about the Neo adaptor?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been meaning to take out all the Sirius stuff since it's of no use to me. I would imagine it's the trunk array along with the connection hardware behind the head unit, right?

What about the Neo adaptor?

I bought that one, it's expensive for what it does. I ended up selling it to a local member, and he sold it to someone else.

For the record, the forum doesn't allow links to SU.

Ah! My fault....

Thanks for the help!

No problem!

I think for myself, the unit I'm looking at is the Axxess interface, from RPM. It seems to do what I want, and it doesn't utilize the 16-pin connector, but rather the tape/MD slot under the HU. I think it'll work fine and allow me to run Sirius and iPod simultaneously.

it appears that right now, we have 2 choices for iPod integration (I own an iPhone 3g). We can either lose control of the device, through the module, which is not going to work because I want to be able to see what I'm playing, and have access to the device. The other is we can play music, but the device won't charge.

So its a Win-Lose situation in both cases. There has to be a better option. An AUX in, or something, where we can still charge the device, but also hook it up to the deck via an AUX cable, or even the standard iPod connector jack.

The Axxess is one of the more promising ones, but it still won't charge the current gen iPhone's, and iPods. To me that just doesn't sit nice. I wouldn't mind an AUX in, but does that even exist? If it does, I don't care about having to take up another port to charge the phone or iPod. Just give me line-in!

The Axxess from RPM is the way to go, I work in car audio and it took alot of tries to find the best one to work with the tricky mazda radios. Alot of company's claim to work and had a lot of problems

sounds like what you need is the sylfex auxmod basic. I had one in my ms6 and it worked great. Its cheap and doesnt do anything fancy, it just provides an aux-in for the bose headunit. This way you can still control the ipod from the ipod itself.

Only problem would be finding one. They appear to be sold out again.

http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

I saw those, but I'm not willing to wait till November to get it. Haha...I guess you could say now preferably. I may go for the axxess. I have a 30GB iPod Classic, and a 16GB iPhone 3G. I suppose I will be leaving the 30GB in the car. Such is life, can't have everything.

I made my own input, I use it to plug my cell phone into the headunit and play music from it. I wired a 3.5mm stereo plug into the Sirius outlet on the back of the unit. You use a jumper wire to activate the AUX button, and the device is used to control the music. There is a how-to on another forum, I can post it here if anyone would like it, pending approval for the cross-post, of-course. Total cost for the unit was under $20. Which also includes the 3' male/male 3.5mm shielded cable. If your Ipod or cell phone have a music player, and a 3.5mm output for headphones, you can use this mod. I also have unlimited internet on my phone, so I can also stream music in the car.

But basically there is no unit that allows control from the iPod/iPhone and the steering wheel (without changing some setting) and that charges as well?

Back